Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slim Apple-type keyboard on PC?

Slim Apple-type keyboard on PC?

riff

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
>
> At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
> a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
> reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
> markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
> ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
> nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

I have used and like the IBM SK-8809 Compact Multi-media keyboard. Not sure
on availability in NZ - found a few on google:
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...&item=ACC10882

cheers, riff

GraB

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 00:19:18 +1300, "riff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
>> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
>> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
>> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
>>
>> At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
>> a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
>> reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
>> markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
>> ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
>> nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

>I have used and like the IBM SK-8809 Compact Multi-media keyboard. Not sure
>on availability in NZ - found a few on google:
>http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...&item=ACC10882
>
>cheers, riff

When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 00:19:18 +1300, "riff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
> >> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
> >> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
> >> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
> >>
> >> At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
> >> a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
> >> reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
> >> markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
> >> ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
> >> nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

> >I have used and like the IBM SK-8809 Compact Multi-media keyboard. Not sure
> >on availability in NZ - found a few on google:
> >http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...&item=ACC10882
> >
> >cheers, riff

> When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
> back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
> taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
> rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
> with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.

The basic Microsoft keyboard is quite compact in both directions and
they are also splash resistant.

Collector»NZ

GraB wrote:
> One thing I envy about Apple computers are their very compact and
> attractive keyboards. I would like to economise on desktop space and
> get a compact no-frills keyboard like the ones that come with Apples
> but there doesn't seem to be anything like that around for PCs.
>
> At the moment having had a look at a few websites, Paradigm have quite
> a nice compact no-frills Gigabyte keyboard which has the full-size
> reverse L-shaped ENTER key I like but has a whole lot of extra
> markings on the keys. I bought a nice Belkin (IIRC) keyboard a while
> ago for another PC, similar in appearance to the DSE keyboards, but
> nicer feel, but I can't find one of those now.

I got a nice i-rocks Apple like keyboard from PBTECH the other day. Even has
and EL Backlight in it. bout $65

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
>back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
>taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
>rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
>with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.

The smallest footprint keyboard with full-sized and full-travel keys that I
know of is the IBM M2. It is only just larger than the area covered by the
keys - 445 mm wide, 155 mm deep and 25 mm high at the rear, tapering to the
front. It has a similar "clicky" action to the legendary IBM Model M
keyboard, which you will love or hate - if you suffer from OOS/RSI, you
really owe it to yourself to learn to love it.
http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/vine/keyboard/1395300/ has good pictures of it.

It was sold with some models of IBM Aptiva and PS/1 PCs. You can sometimes
find them on Trademe or at recycle centres for a couple of dollars. I have a
few, but I place a higher value on them than most people are prepared to
pay. If you must have a new one, they are available in the US.
Try clickykeyboards.com or pckeyboard.com for pictures and prices.

If you must have Windows keys, pckeyboard.com have a model EnduraPro 104
which is a similar size to an M2 with Windows keys, choice of colour schemes
and USB or PS/2 interface. US$99 plus shipping.

I found a testimonial from a Wellingtonian on the clickykeyboards site:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index....main/pageID/4

I do "feel your pain" regarding CRT depths. In my case I went from 15" to 21"
Trinitron. I had to build a custom keyboard shelf that slides out about 600
mm from the desk in order to get far enough back.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

GraB

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:13:15 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) (Don
Hills) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>When I talk about compact I particularly want narrow, as in front to
>>back. I upgraded from 15" CRT monitor to 19" CRT monitor and that is
>>taking up a bit more space. My 10-yr-old Mitsumi Deluxe keyboard is
>>rather broad, I could save up to 9cm of desk space as well as end up
>>with a better keyboard with the Apple keyboard.

>The smallest footprint keyboard with full-sized and full-travel keys that I
>know of is the IBM M2. It is only just larger than the area covered by the
>keys - 445 mm wide, 155 mm deep and 25 mm high at the rear, tapering to the
>front. It has a similar "clicky" action to the legendary IBM Model M
>keyboard, which you will love or hate - if you suffer from OOS/RSI, you
>really owe it to yourself to learn to love it.
>http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/vine/keyboard/1395300/ has good pictures of it.
>
>It was sold with some models of IBM Aptiva and PS/1 PCs. You can sometimes
>find them on Trademe or at recycle centres for a couple of dollars. I have a
>few, but I place a higher value on them than most people are prepared to
>pay. If you must have a new one, they are available in the US.
>Try clickykeyboards.com or pckeyboard.com for pictures and prices.
>
>If you must have Windows keys, pckeyboard.com have a model EnduraPro 104
>which is a similar size to an M2 with Windows keys, choice of colour schemes
>and USB or PS/2 interface. US$99 plus shipping.
>
>I found a testimonial from a Wellingtonian on the clickykeyboards site:
>http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index....main/pageID/4
>

>I do "feel your pain" regarding CRT depths. In my case I went from 15" to 21"
>Trinitron. I had to build a custom keyboard shelf that slides out about 600
>mm from the desk in order to get far enough back.

Thanks for all that. The Apple keyboard is as wide and long as the
keys - there is no overhang at all and there is no gap between the
function keys at the back and the number keys so it is pretty narrow.
One bonus is a couple of USB ports on the back of it.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Thanks for all that. The Apple keyboard is as wide and long as the
>keys - there is no overhang at all and there is no gap between the
>function keys at the back and the number keys so it is pretty narrow.
>One bonus is a couple of USB ports on the back of it.

I'll check it out - not because I need one, but because it's nice to know
what's available if someone else asks.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"