Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Networking Woosh

Networking Woosh

hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg

My home network has 3 machines .. one each of WinXP, Win2K and Win98SE
a Dick Smith's router.

And I have not been able to figure out how to share my Woosh modem.
Share, that is, in that more than one machine could use it at a time.
They can all use it, but not concurrently.

Is there any way to do this. Maybe by using two network cards in one
machine and connecting the modem to one of them rather than to the
router.

Possibly, the Win98 machine could be converted to Linux. But I don't
want to do this unless it is really necessary.

Thanks

Nathan Mercer

> My home network has 3 machines .. one each of WinXP, Win2K and Win98SE
> a Dick Smith's router.
>
> And I have not been able to figure out how to share my Woosh modem.
> Share, that is, in that more than one machine could use it at a time.
> They can all use it, but not concurrently.
>
> Is there any way to do this. Maybe by using two network cards in one
> machine and connecting the modem to one of them rather than to the
> router.
>
> Possibly, the Win98 machine could be converted to Linux. But I don't
> want to do this unless it is really necessary.

Plug the Woosh modem into one of the machines (probably the XP machine)
and run Internet Connection Sharing wizard, it will share out the Woosh
modem and the LAN card will dishing out DHCP address to the other 2
machines.

This will work over the Woosh with USB, but more reliably if you get a
2nd LAN card and get the ethernet adapter for the Woosh modem

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed) .com> hog.badger@
mbox.bol.bg wrote:
> My home network has 3 machines .. one each of WinXP, Win2K and Win98SE
> a Dick Smith's router.
>
> And I have not been able to figure out how to share my Woosh modem.
> Share, that is, in that more than one machine could use it at a time.
> They can all use it, but not concurrently.
>
> Is there any way to do this. Maybe by using two network cards in one
> machine and connecting the modem to one of them rather than to the
> router.
>
> Possibly, the Win98 machine could be converted to Linux. But I don't
> want to do this unless it is really necessary.

How do you have them connected now?

I have a Woosh modem shared via a Dick Smith broadband router. It has a
seperate WAN port for the Internet connection. The Woosh modem connects
to the WAN port via the optional Ethernet cable and the router takes
care of connecting to the Woosh network. The computers connect to the
LAN ports on the router.

http://roger.geek.nz/

hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg

Thanks Roger. That's what I've got, but can only use one machine at a
time on the modem. You have simultaneous use?

steve

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Possibly, the Win98 machine could be converted to Linux. But I don't
> want to do this unless it is really necessary.

You want the PC connected to the modem to have a second network card which
is connected to a LAN hub.

You want that same PC to be able to function as a router / firewall.

Linux does it. I used to do exactly this with TelstraClear cable.

It took a bit of reading and thinking to get it going in 1998....but once
done, it did the job 24/7 for 5 years.

It would likely be much easier to do now.

steve

Roger Johnstone wrote:

> How do you have them connected now?
>
> I have a Woosh modem shared via a Dick Smith broadband router. It has a
> seperate WAN port for the Internet connection. The Woosh modem connects
> to the WAN port via the optional Ethernet cable and the router takes
> care of connecting to the Woosh network. The computers connect to the
> LAN ports on the router.

That's an even better way to go.

Good suggestion.

hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg

> Thanks Roger. That's what I've got, but can only use one machine
> at a time on the modem. You have simultaneous use?

Oops, Roger no. I lie. My modem was connected to a LAN port on the
router, and I haven't been able to access the modem at all when it is
plugged into the WAN port. Is there some sort of secret?

Mark Robinson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>Thanks Roger. That's what I've got, but can only use one machine
>>at a time on the modem. You have simultaneous use?

> Oops, Roger no. I lie. My modem was connected to a LAN port on the
> router, and I haven't been able to access the modem at all when it is
> plugged into the WAN port. Is there some sort of secret?

I'm not familiar with that router, but as a general idea, you want to configure
it to work as a NAT device, creating a local subnet (on 192.168.some.thing or
10.so.me.th.ing) tragffic from which is forwarded to the wider network through
the WAN port.

It's probably easier to use DHCP on the local LAN subnet, but I tend to use
fixed addresses.

If that doesn't work, give us a bit of a rundown on the way the router is
configured, and someone will probably be able to let you know what to mess with.

Alastair.geek.nz

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > Thanks Roger. That's what I've got, but can only use one machine
> > at a time on the modem. You have simultaneous use?

> Oops, Roger no. I lie. My modem was connected to a LAN port on the
> router, and I haven't been able to access the modem at all when it is
> plugged into the WAN port. Is there some sort of secret?

I have had major problems getting my Woosh modem to work with my D-Link
DI-614+ router. The Woosh modem requires that the router connect to it
using PPPoE but, when the router tries to authenticate, the modem spits
the dummy.

I have tried connecting the modem directly to the ethernet port on my
iBook and I get the same result, even though I've checked all the
settings with the Woosh helpdesk. I'm beginning to suspect that the
ethernet cable that they have supplied me with may be faulty because, as
I understand it, the ethernet cable actually has some electronics in it,
rather than just being a bit of wire with some insulation around it.

Woosh have told me to take the modem and ethernet cable into Datacom to
get checked out, so I might do that next week.

--
Regards, Alastair.
www.alastair.geek.nz

Any opinions expressed in this posting are my own, and do not
necessarily reflect the views of any other individual or organisation.

mbox.bol.bg wrote:
>> Thanks Roger. That's what I've got, but can only use one machine
>> at a time on the modem. You have simultaneous use?

> Oops, Roger no. I lie. My modem was connected to a LAN port on the
> router, and I haven't been able to access the modem at all when it is
> plugged into the WAN port. Is there some sort of secret?

Dick Smith has the setup instructions for connecting a Woosh modem to
their XH1151 roadband router linked from the product page at
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH1151

It should work much the same for any router with a WAN port. Let us know
how it goes though.

http://roger.geek.nz/

Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
Is Woosh the answer? Rats NZ Computing 9 09-17-2003 07:15 PM
The REAL question about 'woosh' Evil Bastard NZ Computing 21 09-17-2003 12:23 PM
Woosh pricing! Carl Elphick NZ Computing 29 09-17-2003 07:43 AM
No word about woosh yet? tony11 NZ Computing 6 09-15-2003 07:22 AM

Advertisments