Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CPU at 100% all the time

CPU at 100% all the time

Krazy Bob

"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Mby9f.4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time for
> no apparent reason.
>
> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
> freezing on me.
> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning
> what I don't know.
>
> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes
> straight to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is
> the memory hogger which is part of the antivirus.
>
> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer to
> become unresponsive.
> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news
> groups, open new post and type this out.
>
> What do you guys think could be happening??
> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
> because the comps already at 100%.
>
> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>
> KB

Following avast forums, one guy whos had the same problem as ive described
said it was a clash with MS anti spyware error logs and that scanning these
logs hogs the cpu. i guess only way to get around that is to delete these
logs

KB

Dave Taylor

"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in news:tAU9f.201$(E-Mail Removed):

> i guess only way to get around that is to delete these
> logs

Configure AV to not scan them...

--
Ciao, Dave

Krazy Bob

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9702B5F3A75ADdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:tAU9f.201$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> i guess only way to get around that is to delete these
>> logs
>>

> Configure AV to not scan them...
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave

Reading my posts from the avast forums, thats what was suggested and has so
far worked *fingers crossed* but i still cant explain why after 6 months of
it working fine, has it started to play up now

KB

LadyMel

My fathers computer had nearly the same problem only for me trying to
fix it TaskManager told me that svchost.exe was the hog - end task it,
and then explorer.exe jumped to 99%

I had to uninstall Nortons, and tried to copy fresh svchost.exe to
windows/system32 - what a nightmare, even in DOS.

Google had millions of hits with search (CPU 100%)
After wasting six hours I reinstalled windows. Major pain in the neck.

> Reading my posts from the avast forums, thats what was suggested and has so
> far worked *fingers crossed* but i still cant explain why after 6 months of
> it working fine, has it started to play up now
>
> KB

Steven H

Hello LadyMel,

> svchost.exe was the hog - end task it,
> and then explorer.exe jumped to 99%

svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link
libraries, what that means to you is that you shouldnt really be randomally
killing it as it is a part of the Windows operating system.

the reason why explorer.exe 'jumped to 99%' is that you killed a system process,
a process that is used by all parts of the system in its daily running.

iirc the only way to kill svchost is if you are logged in as an administrator,
please tell me that you dont run your machine on a daily basis running as
admin ?

> I had to uninstall Nortons, and tried to copy fresh svchost.exe to
> windows/system32 - what a nightmare, even in DOS.

im not really surprised that 'replacing' svchost didnt fix the problem.

the reason is that svchost is just a 'container' (for lack of a better word)

an example: a developer needs to write an application that runs when the
operating system loads reguardless if there is anybody loged into the console
this is called a 'service' (google 'windows services').

these 'services' are loaded by the Windows operating system via instances
of svchost - meaning that it wasnt really svchost that was causing you problems,
it was a service that it was *trying* to run.

if it happens again, post here and hopefully somebody can give a clue

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

Dave Taylor

Steven H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:f6ca206015f9d8c7c7110ffd5c30
@news.dun.ihug.co.nz:

> meaning that it wasnt really svchost that was causing you problems,
> it was a service that it was *trying* to run.

The event log probably would have had some clues.

--
Ciao, Dave

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:39:38 +1300, LadyMel wrote:

> Google had millions of hits with search (CPU 100%)
> After wasting six hours I reinstalled windows. Major pain in the neck.

LOL!

And you still use Micro$oft Windoze!

What would it take to cause you to wean yourself off your addiction to
Micro$oft software?

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

Murray Symon

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:53:40 +1300, Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:39:38 +1300, LadyMel wrote:
>
>> Google had millions of hits with search (CPU 100%) After wasting six
>> hours I reinstalled windows. Major pain in the neck.

> LOL!
>
> And you still use Micro$oft Windoze!
>
> What would it take to cause you to wean yourself off your addiction to
> Micro$oft software?
>

> Undeniably Sluttish

.... and you're still using it too, aren't you?

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:59:37 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

>> What would it take to cause you to wean yourself off your addiction to
>> Micro$oft software?
>>

>> Undeniably Sluttish

> ... and you're still using it too, aren't you?

On a daily basis? No.

On a weekly basis? No.

Fortnightly? Yes. About 2 hours a fortnight for one task only.

Outside of that... it sits switched off.

For everything else I do... I use *nix.

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

Kiwi

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>LOL!
>
>And you still use Micro$oft Windoze!
>
>What would it take to cause you to wean yourself off your addiction to
>Micro$oft software?
>

>Undeniably Sluttish

I use either Free BSD or Red Hat Linux as an O/S on the systems that I
work on every day at work (boxes running telephony applications) and
they are great. I also used SCO Unix until recently at work too.

In my early computing days, I also used to create programs in
assembler on CP/M for Z80 based machines.

At home I do a lot of video editing, using Pinnacle Studio. Currently
they don't have a *nix version available, so I use Windows. If they
did, I would probably consider setting up a Linux box on the network.

Really it comes down to "horses for courses," so every O/S has its
place.

Saying "My O/S is better than yours, seems a bit childish. Even old
O/S's like LDOS have their uses, given the relevant applications.

Cheers, Kiwi.