Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CPU at 100% all the time

CPU at 100% all the time

Krazy Bob

"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:35:52 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Krazy Bob wrote:
>>

>>> What do you guys think could be happening??
>>> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
>>> because the comps already at 100%.
>>>
>>> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>>>

>>Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
>>'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus
>>program
>>cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
>>Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.
>>

> Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

Please dont turn this into a windows / lunix debate

Bruce Knox

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:24:31 -0500, "Impossible"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers
>to some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure
>that the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not,
>include that in the list of programs you intitially disable.

Hi,
I run avast and just checked my task list. The av is
AshServ.exe not AshService.exe. The other components running have
similar trunkated names. What happens when you kill it from ctrl alt
del. If you cant kill it try setting it to a very low priority to see
what happens (right click on task list).

Bruce.
Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
http://physio.otago.ac.nz

Jekyll and Hyde

"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:GFC9f.4103$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jekyll and Hyde" <Jekyll and http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gvC9f.4099$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:Mby9f.4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time
> >> for
> >> no apparent reason.
> >>
> >> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it

kept
> >> freezing on me.
> >> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning

> > what
> >> I don't know.
> >>
> >> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes

> > straight
> >> to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the

memory
> >> hogger which is part of the antivirus.
> >>
> >> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer
> >> become unresponsive.
> >> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news

> > groups,
> >> open new post and type this out.
> >>
> >> What do you guys think could be happening??
> >> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
> >> because the comps already at 100%.
> >>
> >> any suggestions greatly appreciated
> >>
> >> KB

> > Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?

> Have no process under that name running.
>
> The only process thats taking 99-100 of cpu according to task manager is
> ashserv.exe which ive checked is avast antivirus software module
> disabling this, causes the comp to become un responsive
>
> Cheers
> KB

Oh, ok. Uninstall your Avast anti virus then (removing the ashserv.exe
process) and use AVG instead...
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

I've seen similar problems with anti virus products where they just get
fubar'ed and choke the system (Panda, Sophos).

Jekyll and Hyde.

Krazy Bob

"Bruce Knox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:24:31 -0500, "Impossible"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers
>>to some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure
>>that the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not,
>>include that in the list of programs you intitially disable.
>>

> Hi,
> I run avast and just checked my task list. The av is
> AshServ.exe not AshService.exe. The other components running have
> similar trunkated names. What happens when you kill it from ctrl alt
> del. If you cant kill it try setting it to a very low priority to see
> what happens (right click on task list).
>
> Bruce.
> Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
> http://physio.otago.ac.nz

Yea bruce, i realised my mistake when i went back and looked at the full
name.
when i ctrl-alt delete and terminate it, the computer becomes unresponsive.
nothing will work, i.e. clicking on desktop icons does nothing and only
possible solution is to restart and have to deal with same thing again.

i have at the moment stoped the "standard shield" from running which has
sorta fixed the problem of my cpu running at 100%
i have run two scans one with through and one standard both with enable
archive scanning, nil nasties found, same goes with spybot and ad-aware.

im at a loss at whats going on.
maybe might have to uninstall avast and re install again
but i really don't have time to do that *sigh*

thanks for posting bruce

KB

Krazy Bob

"Jekyll and Hyde" <Jekyll and (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0MD9f.5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:GFC9f.4103$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jekyll and Hyde" <Jekyll and (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gvC9f.4099$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:Mby9f.4030$(E-Mail Removed)...

> kept
>> > what

>> > straight

> memory

>> > groups,

>> > Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?

>> Have no process under that name running.
>>
>> The only process thats taking 99-100 of cpu according to task manager is
>> ashserv.exe which ive checked is avast antivirus software module
>> disabling this, causes the comp to become un responsive
>>
>> Cheers
>> KB

> Oh, ok. Uninstall your Avast anti virus then (removing the ashserv.exe
> process) and use AVG instead...
> http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

i used to have AVG, but i got a really nasty worm *cant remeber the name*
and had AVG up to date and somehow it still yet it in and then couldn't
remove it
so i gave up, whats the point if it cant remove it/ delete it/ or heal it
:-S

Avast up to this point has been **great**

Cheers anyway
KB

> I've seen similar problems with anti virus products where they just get
> fubar'ed and choke the system (Panda, Sophos).
>
> Jekyll and Hyde.

thingy

Krazy Bob wrote:
> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time for
> no apparent reason.
>
> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
> freezing on me.
> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning what
> I don't know.
>
> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes straight
> to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
> hogger which is part of the antivirus.
>
> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer to
> become unresponsive.
> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news groups,
> open new post and type this out.
>
> What do you guys think could be happening??
> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
> because the comps already at 100%.
>
> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>
> KB

I did some googling, some viruses attack anti-virus software and
disable, but this looks unlikely.

I would suggest un-installing ths software, reboot and re-install.

Personally while running games I think anti-virus stuff should be
disabled, it robs CPU cycles and can crash games, ymmv.

If it still occurs un-install and install clamav (free) and scan.

Then get an anti-spybot piece of software (free ones are good enough),
also consider something like zonealarm and set it to monitor/alarm on
outbound traffic as well as inbound.

If it all looks clean move back to the one you like, if it does it
again, find something else, my prefernce is Clamav.

regards

Thing

hugo100@seznam.cz

Why don't just you post your question to the official avast antivirus
support forum http://forum.avast.com ? The staff is very friendly and
responsive and I'm sure they'll find a quick solution to the problem!

Cheers
Hugo

Krazy Bob

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Why don't just you post your question to the official avast antivirus
> support forum http://forum.avast.com ? The staff is very friendly and
> responsive and I'm sure they'll find a quick solution to the problem!

because i wasn't 100% entirely sure it was a avast problem.
ive managed to disable the standard shield and get my cpu back to normal
but im still getting terrible ping times now in game when i should only be
getting 60-70 im on 2mb plan also. so something is also robbing bandwidth,
but neither av scan or ad-aware or spybot or microsoft anti-spyware beta
prog has picked up anything....

cheers anyway
KB

> Cheers
> Hugo

Enkidu

Krazy Bob wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

>> Why don't just you post your question to the official
>> avast antivirus support forum http://forum.avast.com ?
>> The staff is very friendly and responsive and I'm sure
>> they'll find a quick solution to the problem!

> because i wasn't 100% entirely sure it was a avast
> problem. ive managed to disable the standard shield and
> get my cpu back to normal but im still getting terrible
> ping times now in game when i should only be getting
> 60-70 im on 2mb plan also. so something is also robbing
> bandwidth, but neither av scan or ad-aware or spybot or
> microsoft anti-spyware beta prog has picked up
> anything....

Long ping times are not directly related to bandwidth. It's
like a relatively empty road. You won't get from A to B and
back any quicker if the road is expanded to four lanes. It's
only the roadabouts (routers) that cause traffic to queue,
and they are generally somewhere down the road.

Broadband is like a four lane highway to your door. The
bottleneck is more likely to be how fast you can get cars
(packets) onto the road that is going to slow the traffic
down *but* once a car gets going it is only the external
events over which you have that will slow its return.

In other words, even flooding your available bandwidth
*probably* won't seriously affect your ping times.

If I were you I'd get another virus checker (temporarily) to
double check avast, and I'd probably get a second spyware
checker too.

Cheers,

Cliff

Impossible

"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:A1G9f.43$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Why don't just you post your question to the official avast
>> antivirus
>> support forum http://forum.avast.com ? The staff is very friendly
>> and
>> responsive and I'm sure they'll find a quick solution to the
>> problem!

> because i wasn't 100% entirely sure it was a avast problem.
> ive managed to disable the standard shield and get my cpu back to
> normal
> but im still getting terrible ping times now in game when i should
> only be getting 60-70 im on 2mb plan also. so something is also
> robbing bandwidth, but neither av scan or ad-aware or spybot or
> microsoft anti-spyware beta prog has picked up anything....

Following the suggestion to check the Avast site, I think you'll find
that if you've disabled "standard shield", which is the real-time scan
for trouble, then you're no longer protected at all. That can't be
good. Also, Avast seems to be incompatible with certain other
programs, leading to exactly the symptoms you describe. You might
want to check whether you're currently running any of those programs.