Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CPU at 100% all the time

CPU at 100% all the time

Krazy Bob

Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time for
no apparent reason.

it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
freezing on me.
then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning what
I don't know.

i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes straight
to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
hogger which is part of the antivirus.

attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer to
become unresponsive.
its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news groups,
open new post and type this out.

What do you guys think could be happening??
I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
because the comps already at 100%.

any suggestions greatly appreciated

KB

Peter

Krazy Bob wrote:

> What do you guys think could be happening??
> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
> because the comps already at 100%.
>
> any suggestions greatly appreciated

Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus program
cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.

XP

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:35:52 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Krazy Bob wrote:
>

>> What do you guys think could be happening??
>> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
>> because the comps already at 100%.
>>
>> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>>

>Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
>'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus program
>cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
>Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.

Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

shannon

XP wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:35:52 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Krazy Bob wrote:
>>
>>> What do you guys think could be happening??
>>> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
>>> because the comps already at 100%.
>>>
>>> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>>>

>> Is CPU running at 100% when connected to internet? If so it is probably a
>> 'zombie' sending out spam and / or 'DOS' attacks. If an anti-virus program
>> cannot find it, there is probably little option but to re-load Windows.
>> Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.
>>

> Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

You use it every time you Google.

steve

Peter wrote:

> Even better, dump Windows and go to Linux / Open Office.

But I don't think he can play Battlefield 2 on Linux (yet).

So he's stuck with Windows at least for that game.

steve

XP wrote:

> Only Lunatics Use Lunix..

Why bother posting this drivel, Roger?

It just makes you look stupid.

Impossible

"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Mby9f.4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the
> time for no apparent reason.
>
> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it
> kept freezing on me.
> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but
> scanning what I don't know.
>
> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes
> straight to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe
> is the memory hogger which is part of the antivirus.
>
> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the
> computer to become unresponsive.
> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news
> groups, open new post and type this out.
>
> What do you guys think could be happening??
> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware
> search because the comps already at 100%.
>
> any suggestions greatly appreciated

What OS? What CPU speed? How much memory? Anti-virus programs can be
cpu and resource-hungry. So your problem might be nothing more than
that you've got a background av scan running and your system can't
handle it. If your system is well-equipped, hardware-wise, and this
problem developed all-of-a-sudden, then I'd suspect malware of some
sort.

For the time being I'll assume you're running Windows 98 or later. Go
Run...msconfig. Select a diagnostic startup and disable everything in
the startup menu that you don't absolutely trust EXCEPT your
anti-virus program (I'm being conservative here -- your antivirus
program might be set to start in background scan mode, and you'll
probably want to diable that at some point. But first let's eliminate
the possibility that some other program is hogging your cpu). Also
disable any automatic connection to the net. Then reboot and see what
happens.

If your problem disappears at this stage, then good -- you're AV is
fine, and the problem is with one of the startup programs you
sdiabled. Work back through the msconfig list, enabling one thing at a
time and then rebooting (painful, but thios works) until you find find
the trouble.

If you're problem hasn't disappeared, then it's trickier. Keep all
your other startup program disabled. Then I would first try letting
your AV run whatever scan it's trying to do -- depending on your
hardware, this could take hours, but just let it run overnight.
hopefully at some point, it ends. (If not, it's time to think about
either beefing up your hardware or replacing your AV.) If the scan
finishes and your cpu is free again, then you know that you have to
set your AV to only do scanning at a time of your choosing. Just to be
on the safe side, I'd grab one or more trial versions of some other
anti-virus program and run these in full scan mode on your machine.
Then run the anti-spyware programs you couldn't run before. When
you're satisfied that your system is clean, enable a normal startup
from msconfig and confirm that everything is back to normal.

BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers
to some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure
that the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not,
include that in the list of programs you intitially disable.

Jekyll and Hyde

"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Mby9f.4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time for
> no apparent reason.
>
> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
> freezing on me.
> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning

what
> I don't know.
>
> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes

straight
> to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
> hogger which is part of the antivirus.
>
> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer to
> become unresponsive.
> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news

groups,
> open new post and type this out.
>
> What do you guys think could be happening??
> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
> because the comps already at 100%.
>
> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>
> KB

Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?
Its the buggy Macrovision copyright process, and its extremely buggy, and
doesn't always terminate correctly when the app that called it is fininshed
(crashed etc), and if killed it will restart.
If it is responsible there's nothing you can do except complain to
Macrovision.

Jekyll and Hyde.

Krazy Bob

"Impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Mby9f.4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time
>> for no apparent reason.
>>
>> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
>> freezing on me.
>> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning
>> what I don't know.
>>
>> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes
>> straight to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is
>> the memory hogger which is part of the antivirus.
>>
>> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer
>> to become unresponsive.
>> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news
>> groups, open new post and type this out.
>>
>> What do you guys think could be happening??
>> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
>> because the comps already at 100%.
>>
>> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>>

> What OS? What CPU speed? How much memory? Anti-virus programs can be

OS: xp pro sp2
CPU: Amd Barton 2500+ OC'd 3200+
1024MB Dual Channel Ram

But thing is..ive had the same system startup up for months and months no
probs, then all of a sudden, Comp is running 100% all the time!

> cpu and resource-hungry. So your problem might be nothing more than that
> you've got a background av scan running and your system can't handle it.
> If your system is well-equipped, hardware-wise, and this problem developed
> all-of-a-sudden, then I'd suspect malware of some sort.
>
> For the time being I'll assume you're running Windows 98 or later. Go
> Run...msconfig. Select a diagnostic startup and disable everything in the
> startup menu that you don't absolutely trust EXCEPT your anti-virus
> program (I'm being conservative here -- your antivirus program might be
> set to start in background scan mode, and you'll probably want to diable
> that at some point. But first let's eliminate the possibility that some
> other program is hogging your cpu). Also disable any automatic connection
> to the net. Then reboot and see what happens.
>
> If your problem disappears at this stage, then good -- you're AV is fine,
> and the problem is with one of the startup programs you sdiabled. Work
> back through the msconfig list, enabling one thing at a time and then
> rebooting (painful, but thios works) until you find find the trouble.
>
> If you're problem hasn't disappeared, then it's trickier. Keep all your
> other startup program disabled. Then I would first try letting your AV run
> whatever scan it's trying to do -- depending on your hardware, this could
> take hours, but just let it run overnight. hopefully at some point, it
> ends. (If not, it's time to think about either beefing up your hardware or
> replacing your AV.) If the scan finishes and your cpu is free again, then
> you know that you have to set your AV to only do scanning at a time of
> your choosing. Just to be on the safe side, I'd grab one or more trial
> versions of some other anti-virus program and run these in full scan mode
> on your machine. Then run the anti-spyware programs you couldn't run
> before. When you're satisfied that your system is clean, enable a normal
> startup from msconfig and confirm that everything is back to normal.
>
> BTW, the only mention of "ashservice" that I can find on Google refers to
> some catch-all search portal. That's not a good sign. Are you sure that
> the correct name of your av module is ashservice.exe? If not, include that
> in the list of programs you intitially disable.

Thanks for the above advice...will try it out and see what happens

Cheers
KB

Krazy Bob

"Jekyll and Hyde" <Jekyll and http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gvC9f.4099$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Mby9f.4030$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey guys, im having problems with my comp running at 100% all the time
>> for
>> no apparent reason.
>>
>> it all started last night when I tried playing battlefield 2 and it kept
>> freezing on me.
>> then I noticed my anti virus (avast) doing its "scanning" but scanning

> what
>> I don't know.
>>
>> i've rebooted atleast 10 times, and every time it loads up it goes

> straight
>> to 100 and never drops. my task manager says ashservice.exe is the memory
>> hogger which is part of the antivirus.
>>
>> attempts to shut down the antivirus have failed by causing the computer
>> become unresponsive.
>> its taken me 23mins to load up windows, open OE express. click news

> groups,
>> open new post and type this out.
>>
>> What do you guys think could be happening??
>> I've done a virus scan and it came up clean, can't do spyware search
>> because the comps already at 100%.
>>
>> any suggestions greatly appreciated
>>
>> KB

> Do you currently have a process named "~e5.0001" running?

Have no process under that name running.

The only process thats taking 99-100 of cpu according to task manager is
ashserv.exe which ive checked is avast antivirus software module
disabling this, causes the comp to become un responsive

Cheers
KB