Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Stupid question re P4 heatsinks

Stupid question re P4 heatsinks

XP

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:51:08 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:

>>>I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
>>>held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
>>>forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though,
>>>so I'm no bothered.
>>>
>>>Allistar.

>> Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
>>
>> Not a very wise move at all..

>How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
>
>Allistar.

I don't know if this is any good as it was the first hit on Google

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/104

XP

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:51:08 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:

>>>I have a P4PE and the heatsink from the northbrige cip has come off. It's
>>>held down by two rounded staples (look kind of like the kind you see in
>>>forming fence posts, only smaller). The computer still runs fine though,
>>>so I'm no bothered.
>>>
>>>Allistar.

>> Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
>>
>> Not a very wise move at all..

>How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
>
>Allistar.

I don't know if this is any good as it was the first hit on Google

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/104

This link works

http://www.panopsys.com/Downloads.html

Allistar

XP wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:51:08 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>XP wrote:

>>> Yes at a far slower speed, as the P4 has heat throttling..
>>>
>>> Not a very wise move at all..

>>How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
>>
>>Allistar.

> There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search on
> Google,
> from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU heatsink.

Allistar.

XP

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:10:36 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:

>>>How does one tell if the chip is currently being throttled?
>>>
>>>Allistar.

>> There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search on
>> Google,
>> from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

>Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU heatsink.
>
>Allistar.

I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

There are 2 models of Northbridge heat sinks that you can buy, I have one
here, never used, as I was having problems with my small fitted fan..

Problem was you had to take the MoBo out to fit it from memory

These are the 2 I am on about

http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=117199

http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=109892

Allistar

XP wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:10:36 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>XP wrote:

>>> There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search on
>>> Google,
>>> from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

>>Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU
>>heatsink.
>>
>>Allistar.

> I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..
>
> There are 2 models of Northbridge heat sinks that you can buy, I have
> one here, never used, as I was having problems with my small fitted fan..
>
> Problem was you had to take the MoBo out to fit it from memory
>
> These are the 2 I am on about
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=117199
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=109892

The clock speed is as expected (~2400MHz). I've ordered a northbridge
heatsink anyway - they're not expensive.

Thanks,
Allistar.

~misfit~

XP wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:10:36 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> XP wrote:

>>> There has been a lot of talk on web sites about this, have a search
>>> on Google,
>>> from memory it cuts in at 70c core temp

>> Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU
>> heatsink.
>>
>> Allistar.

> I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly stated they
were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was wondering where you were
getting your info from concerning northbridges having thermal-throttling
capablities.
--
~misfit~

John

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 03:27:11 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> XP wrote:

>>> Note that I'm talking abount the northbridge heatsink, not the CPU
>>> heatsink.
>>>
>>> Allistar.

>> I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

> And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly stated they
> were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was wondering where you were
> getting your info from concerning northbridges having thermal-throttling
> capablities.

The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

Regards,
John.

~misfit~

John wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 03:27:11 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> XP wrote:
>>> I thought we were on about CPU heat sinks..

>> And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly
>> stated they were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was
>> wondering where you were getting your info from concerning
>> northbridges having thermal-throttling capablities.

> The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
> the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

Yep, I realise that John. However, after the converstaion changed to be
about NB HS's Roger continued to ignore what was written, what he was
replying to, and kept on about thermal throttling. My point was you have to
wonder about information given by someone who doen't even know what is being
talked about. Someone could have taken his word that NB's have thermal
throttling and left a NB naked and have it burn up. Extreme example I know
but, advice given in groups such as this is only valuable if it's accurate.
The way to ensure it is is to mention when someone is giving what is plainly
totally wrong info out. Peer review.

Maybe I should just killfile him again (I re-installed recently and lost
about 40 iterations of Roger Sheppard in my killfile). However,
misinformation could cost a newbie to the group a lot of money.
--
~misfit~

John

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:59:52 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> John wrote:

>>> And yet the last eight or so posts that you replied to clearly
>>> stated they were talking about northbridge heatsinks. I was
>>> wondering where you were getting your info from concerning
>>> northbridges having thermal-throttling capablities.

>> The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
>> the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

> Yep, I realise that John. However, after the converstaion changed to be
> about NB HS's Roger continued to ignore what was written, what he was
> replying to, and kept on about thermal throttling. My point was you have to
> wonder about information given by someone who doen't even know what is being
> talked about. Someone could have taken his word that NB's have thermal
> throttling and left a NB naked and have it burn up. Extreme example I know
> but, advice given in groups such as this is only valuable if it's accurate.
> The way to ensure it is is to mention when someone is giving what is plainly
> totally wrong info out. Peer review.
>
> Maybe I should just killfile him again (I re-installed recently and lost
> about 40 iterations of Roger Sheppard in my killfile). However,
> misinformation could cost a newbie to the group a lot of money.

The fact remains that the original posting Roger replied too didn't
mention northbridge heatsinks. Once he realised his mistake he
admitted that he was mistaken.

How many times is this that you've placed Roger into your killfile but
still manage to reply to nearly all his postings.

Regards,
John.

XP

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:16:13 +1300, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:59:52 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> John wrote:

>>> The original post didn't mention Northbridge heatsinks, only later in
>>> the thread did someone else mention Northbridge heatsinks.

>> Yep, I realise that John. However, after the converstaion changed to be
>> about NB HS's Roger continued to ignore what was written, what he was
>> replying to, and kept on about thermal throttling. My point was you have to
>> wonder about information given by someone who doen't even know what is being
>> talked about. Someone could have taken his word that NB's have thermal
>> throttling and left a NB naked and have it burn up. Extreme example I know
>> but, advice given in groups such as this is only valuable if it's accurate.
>> The way to ensure it is is to mention when someone is giving what is plainly
>> totally wrong info out. Peer review.
>>
>> Maybe I should just killfile him again (I re-installed recently and lost
>> about 40 iterations of Roger Sheppard in my killfile). However,
>> misinformation could cost a newbie to the group a lot of money.

>The fact remains that the original posting Roger replied too didn't
>mention northbridge heatsinks. Once he realised his mistake he
>admitted that he was mistaken.
>
>How many times is this that you've placed Roger into your killfile but
>still manage to reply to nearly all his postings.
>
>Regards,
>John.

This chap did not even read my posts at all, one of my first comments that
this was not wise thing to do..

I have been in the Computer trade far longer that any one here and fully
Trained as a Mini & Main Frame computer Engineer, even got my name in the Dom
for one of my developments

The Problem here is that you are dealing with Idiots or Thick Heads that just
don't have a clue, this is what I find with most posts here..

Chipset Heatsinks unholy Hardware 18 09-12-2005 02:50 PM
Ramcool Chip Heatsinks Jason Computer Information 0 03-22-2005 04:13 AM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
High-performance, low-noise heatsinks Jeff Conescu Computer Support 0 10-28-2004 12:00 PM

Advertisments