Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox vs IE

Firefox vs IE

Southern Kiwi

Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
Any "gotcha's" for newbies?
Opinions welcome

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Nicholas Sherlock

Southern Kiwi wrote:
> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?

Tip (If you haven't discovered it already ), you can open links in a
new tab by middle-clicking on them, and you can close an open tab by
middle-clicking on it too.

The major "Gotcha" in Firefox is that when you open a new tab or window
for a link, and there is an error loading that page, the address bar is
never filled in so you lose the link and can't try to load the page
again. I don't know why it hasn't been fixed yet.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Shane

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:37:38 +1300, Southern Kiwi wrote:

> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?

It puts hairs on your chest

steve

Southern Kiwi wrote:

> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?

iss betta.

> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen

Glad to see you finally made it.

> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?

None I can think of. It's juss betta.

> Opinions welcome

MarkH

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
news:436512ff$(E-Mail Removed):

> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?
> Opinions welcome

For me as a computer tech the only gotcha is that when I am at a customers
and they only have IE then I go WTF, where are the tabs? Seriously it is a
complete bitch to have to use IE now.

At home I have several PCs (4 in my room, often all running). All 4 of
those PCs have Opera as the main browser and Firefox as the backup browser.
On 3 of them the 3rd browser is Konquerer, but I don't use that much. On 1
PC the 3rd browser is IE (unless I boot from the 2nd HDD and then Konquerer
is the 3rd browser) and I don't use that much either. If fact it is
extremely rare for any of the browsers to have a problem with a web page.
During the month of October I has one page that would not work with Opera
(and I use the web a lot), but it worked fine with Firefox.

I have now been using Mozilla/Firefox/Opera for a couple of years and I
don't miss IE at all, in fact I really dislike using IE now.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Daniel

Southern Kiwi wrote:
> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?
> Opinions welcome

I'm a Firefox user as well.

The only reason I keep IE installed is for the Windows Updates.
Plus, there a certain applications that require the IE rendering engine
that are not Outlook.

I think there are only two things that IE can do, that Firefox can't:-
* ActiveX
* Handling pages that rely on IE's non-standard JVM (I've noticed this
with a couple of PopCap games)

thingy

Southern Kiwi wrote:
> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?
> Opinions welcome

It needs to be kept patched just like IE.

Otherwise it is my preference.

regards

Thing

thingy

Shane wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:37:38 +1300, Southern Kiwi wrote:
>

>>Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
>>I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
>>Any "gotcha's" for newbies?

> It puts hairs on your chest

Better not let my GF near it then...

hairy boobs does so not appeal...

;]

regards

Thing

~misfit~

thingy wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:37:38 +1300, Southern Kiwi wrote:
>>

>>> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
>>> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
>>> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?

>> It puts hairs on your chest
>>

> Better not let my GF near it then...
>
> hairy boobs does so not appeal...
>
> ;]

Never been to jail huh?

--
~misfit~

EMB

Southern Kiwi wrote:
> Trying Firefox, seems a lot faster loading pages, why would that be?
> I like the tabs and the "bigger" screen
> Any "gotcha's" for newbies?
> Opinions welcome

For about 98% of browsing it's bloody good. The other 2% of pages are
broken - either due to active-x or due to bad HTML that only displays
properly in IE.

--
EMB