Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 160GB appears as 131GB

160GB appears as 131GB

Shane

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:47:35 -0800, John wrote:

> Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
> 131GB??

ffs cant people use google anymore.
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
first link
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...=953788&page=1
link in one of the posts

Shane

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:57:51 +1300, Shane wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:47:35 -0800, John wrote:
>
>> Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
>> 131GB??

> ffs cant people use google anymore.
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
> first link
> http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...=953788&page=1
> link in one of the posts

actually..
add 160 to the search string and you get this
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
6th link down is
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=33439&
saying its a bios issue
and this
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...?t=3254&page=2
saying you need windows 2000 sp 3 or later

Kristofer Clayton

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:47:35 -0800, "John" <no.one@home> wrote:

>Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
>131GB??

I threw a 160 GB drive in my Windows 2000 (SP4) box the other day
which recognised it as above, I searched and found a registry key had
to be added to Windows manually for it to 'see' drives using 48-bit
LBA. The key was

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atapi\Parameters\
Create a DWORD key 'EnableBigLba' and set it to 1 (0x1)
Then reboot.

It worked for me.
--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

S Roby

>ffs cant people use google anymore.

Google often gives too many irrelevant links.
Typing in hardware (ie hard drive) & review for example will give
pages & pages links to ad's & online retailers.

Ray Greene

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:24:39 +1300, "Kristofer Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:47:35 -0800, "John" <no.one@home> wrote:
>
>>Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
>>131GB??

>I threw a 160 GB drive in my Windows 2000 (SP4) box the other day
>which recognised it as above, I searched and found a registry key had
>to be added to Windows manually for it to 'see' drives using 48-bit
>LBA. The key was
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Atapi\Parameters\
>Create a DWORD key 'EnableBigLba' and set it to 1 (0x1)
>Then reboot.
>
>It worked for me.

Brilliant! Thanks for that Kristofer, now my trusty old P500 file server can
see all of its new 200GB HDD. I assumed it was a BIOS limitation that I was
stuck with.

And thanks to John for posting here instead of using Google, I wouldn't have
discovered this otherwise

--
Ray Greene

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, no.one@home says...
> Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
> 131GB??

Your BIOS doesn't support LBA48, which is needed to recognise any drive
over 128GiB.

John

Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
131GB??

Enkidu

Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, no.one@home says...
>
>>Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
>>131GB??

> Your BIOS doesn't support LBA48, which is needed to recognise any drive
> over 128GiB.

Even with that the software needs to support it too, which
means, I think, SP2 on XP. Even then he might need a large
disk patch from the manufacturer. This article talks about
the situation.

http://tinyurl.com/86ys6

Cheers,

Cliff

Craig Shore

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:03:10 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob J wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, no.one@home says...
>>
>>>Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
>>>131GB??

>> Your BIOS doesn't support LBA48, which is needed to recognise any drive
>> over 128GiB.
> >

>Even with that the software needs to support it too, which
>means, I think, SP2 on XP. Even then he might need a large
>disk patch from the manufacturer. This article talks about
>the situation.

SP1 or greater for XP.

Ray Greene

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:14:31 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, no.one@home says...
>> Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
>> 131GB??

>Your BIOS doesn't support LBA48, which is needed to recognise any drive
>over 128GiB.

Actually some drivers will access the drive directly without going through
the BIOS. I suspect this is what happened on my Windows 2000 machine. The
BIOS sees the 200GB drive as 6GB, but after making the registry modification
that Kristofer mentioned Windows sees the whole drive.

I think Partition Magic uses the BIOS though.

--
Ray Greene