Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can't install google toolbar in Firefox

Can't install google toolbar in Firefox

maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu

I just went to the Google toolbar page
(http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/...r/install.html) and tried to
install the "Google Toolbar for Firefox". No luck.

I then clicked on the "If you click "Agree and Install" and nothing
happens...." link, which adds a msg at the bottom of the page saying
"check the top of this page for a message that Firefox blocked the
installation." There is no msg. (I think it's a bar that appears
under the button bar, which I've seen before under other circumstances;
but in this case, there is no such bar. This step also has a link for
a "(screenshot)", but the screenshot comes up as a 404, for the
screenshots under both steps 1 and 2.)

I believe this msg that doesn't appear would tell me to set some things
in my Tools | Options, under the Content tab. So I brought up that dlg
box and added toolbar.google.com (the address suggested in the msg) and
www.google.com (the actual address of the download) under "Allowed
sites" next to "Block popups" and under "Exceptions" next to "Warn me
when sites try to install exceptions or themes." No luck.

Another msg in this group suggested checking the about:config and
setting xpinstall:enabled to true. But it already is true.

I also tried restarting Firefox, in case it had silently installed the
toolbar. No luck.

I have administrator privileges under Windows XP.

Of possible relevance: I just got the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1. Maybe
the toolbar won't install in this version?

Mike Maxwell

kes

> I just went to the Google toolbar page
> (http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/...r/install.html) and
> tried to install the "Google Toolbar for Firefox". No luck.
>
> I then clicked on the "If you click "Agree and Install" and nothing
> happens...." link, which adds a msg at the bottom of the page saying
> "check the top of this page for a message that Firefox blocked the
> installation." There is no msg. (I think it's a bar that appears
> under the button bar, which I've seen before under other
> circumstances; but in this case, there is no such bar. This step
> also has a link for a "(screenshot)", but the screenshot comes up
> as a 404, for the screenshots under both steps 1 and 2.)
>
> I believe this msg that doesn't appear would tell me to set some
> things in my Tools | Options, under the Content tab. So I brought
> up that dlg box and added toolbar.google.com (the address suggested
> in the msg) and www.google.com (the actual address of the download)
> under "Allowed sites" next to "Block popups" and under "Exceptions"
> next to "Warn me when sites try to install exceptions or themes."
> No luck.
>
> Another msg in this group suggested checking the about:config and
> setting xpinstall:enabled to true. But it already is true.
>
> I also tried restarting Firefox, in case it had silently installed
> the toolbar. No luck.
>
> I have administrator privileges under Windows XP.
>
> Of possible relevance: I just got the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1.
> Maybe the toolbar won't install in this version?
>
> Mike Maxwell

Mike

Question - Firefox has already got a search window, which has Google
and any number of search engines (to which you may add). Do you really
want Google Toolbar?

If your answer is 'Yes' try
https://addons.mozilla.org/

....where you will find addons which mimic Google Toolbar (several
versions, including 'Googlebar Lite' ).

--
Kes

Lou

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:55:20 +0200, "kes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I just went to the Google toolbar page
>> (http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/...r/install.html) and
>> tried to install the "Google Toolbar for Firefox". No luck.
>>
>> I then clicked on the "If you click "Agree and Install" and nothing
>> happens...." link, which adds a msg at the bottom of the page saying
>> "check the top of this page for a message that Firefox blocked the
>> installation." There is no msg. (I think it's a bar that appears
>> under the button bar, which I've seen before under other
>> circumstances; but in this case, there is no such bar. This step
>> also has a link for a "(screenshot)", but the screenshot comes up
>> as a 404, for the screenshots under both steps 1 and 2.)
>>
>> I believe this msg that doesn't appear would tell me to set some
>> things in my Tools | Options, under the Content tab. So I brought
>> up that dlg box and added toolbar.google.com (the address suggested
>> in the msg) and www.google.com (the actual address of the download)
>> under "Allowed sites" next to "Block popups" and under "Exceptions"
>> next to "Warn me when sites try to install exceptions or themes."
>> No luck.
>>
>> Another msg in this group suggested checking the about:config and
>> setting xpinstall:enabled to true. But it already is true.
>>
>> I also tried restarting Firefox, in case it had silently installed
>> the toolbar. No luck.
>>
>> I have administrator privileges under Windows XP.
>>
>> Of possible relevance: I just got the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1.
>> Maybe the toolbar won't install in this version?
>>
>> Mike Maxwell

>Mike
>
>Question - Firefox has already got a search window, which has Google
>and any number of search engines (to which you may add). Do you really
>want Google Toolbar?

Google toolbar is a data miner, plain and simple. Ask yourself why would
they engineer and distribute it free? The answer is so they can acquire
data as the Google Toolbar stores and reports back to Google every
term you enter into the search window.

See: http://www.pppindia.com/goodelete/

You can, as mentioned in the above post, add Google to the search
function on the Firefox toolbar, if it isn't there already.

>If your answer is 'Yes' try
>https://addons.mozilla.org/
>
>...where you will find addons which mimic Google Toolbar (several
>versions, including 'Googlebar Lite' ).

maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu

Well, those weren't the responses I was expecting! But yes, you have
some points, and maybe I will reconsider. Thanks for the advice!