Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why Open Documents are so important

Why Open Documents are so important

thingy

Following on from Korea's anti-trust case.

MS may throw its toys out of the cot........

"If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be necessary
to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new
versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing on
Thursday."

So, if Microsoft withdrew Windows from the Korean market, could Korean
citizens in the future access their goverment documents saved already in
Microsoft formats? Extrapolate, please, to Massachusetts.

regards

Thing

steve

thingy wrote:

> Following on from Korea's anti-trust case.
>
> MS may throw its toys out of the cot........
>
> "If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
> redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be necessary
> to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new
> versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing on
> Thursday."
>
> So, if Microsoft withdrew Windows from the Korean market, could Korean
> citizens in the future access their goverment documents saved already in
> Microsoft formats? Extrapolate, please, to Massachusetts.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...51028111756646
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Excellent point.

Those open document formats would be VERY importnant when you're confronted
with a potentially criminal company prepared to hold all of their customers
in your country to ransom unless you withdraw your prosecution and required
remedies.

Enkidu

thingy wrote:
> Following on from Korea's anti-trust case.
>
> MS may throw its toys out of the cot........
>
> "If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
> redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be necessary
> to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new
> versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing on
> Thursday."
>
> So, if Microsoft withdrew Windows from the Korean market, could Korean
> citizens in the future access their goverment documents saved already in
> Microsoft formats? Extrapolate, please, to Massachusetts.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...51028111756646

"Withdraw from market" means "don't sell any *more*". The
existing versions will still be around and will still be
able to view documents already created in that format.

Cheers,

Cliff

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y says...
> Following on from Korea's anti-trust case.
>
> MS may throw its toys out of the cot........
>
> "If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
> redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be necessary
> to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new
> versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing on
> Thursday."
>
> So, if Microsoft withdrew Windows from the Korean market, could Korean
> citizens in the future access their goverment documents saved already in
> Microsoft formats? Extrapolate, please, to Massachusetts.

Troll, they would keep using whatever they already used to create them.

steve

Enkidu wrote:

> "Withdraw from market" means "don't sell any *more*". The
> existing versions will still be around and will still be
> able to view documents already created in that format.

In IT terms, that's a highly undesirable situation.....however you care to
frame it.

Eh......

steve

Rob J wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)y says...
>> Following on from Korea's anti-trust case.
>>
>> MS may throw its toys out of the cot........
>>
>> "If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
>> redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be necessary
>> to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new
>> versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing on
>> Thursday."
>>
>> So, if Microsoft withdrew Windows from the Korean market, could Korean
>> citizens in the future access their goverment documents saved already in
>> Microsoft formats? Extrapolate, please, to Massachusetts.

> Troll, they would keep using whatever they already used to create them.

No surprise you don't see the problem and rush to defend the multi-billion
dollar corporation already convicted in the US of illegally maintaining its
effective monopoly.

Odd how you always rush to protect the strong from the weak.....

Typical Rightard.

Shane

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:11:17 +1300, steve wrote:

> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> "Withdraw from market" means "don't sell any *more*". The
>> existing versions will still be around and will still be
>> able to view documents already created in that format.

> In IT terms, that's a highly undesirable situation.....however you care to
> frame it.
>
> Eh......

In anyones book closed standards are a mess for the consumer.
Imagine if TCP/IP or HTTP was closed, or SMTP
Theres still a lot of money to be made with open standards, but it relies
on QoS rather than owning the license.

thingy

Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)y says...
>
>>Following on from Korea's anti-trust case.
>>
>>MS may throw its toys out of the cot........
>>
>>"If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
>>redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be necessary
>>to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new
>>versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing on
>>Thursday."
>>
>>So, if Microsoft withdrew Windows from the Korean market, could Korean
>>citizens in the future access their goverment documents saved already in
>>Microsoft formats? Extrapolate, please, to Massachusetts.

> Troll, they would keep using whatever they already used to create them.

I find it amazing that you so blindly try and justify MS's business
excesses, fortunately you are in a tniy minority it seems. Lots of
Governments have simialr issues and I am sure will be busy ensuring they
dont get shot in the foot.

This is yet another showing of MS's unrepentant behavior. These are
public documents, if a member of the public wants to open them and he or
she cannot buy word because MS has thrown its toys out and gone
home...that is wrong and they should not be forced to buy word in the
first place.

Another point again showing your complete appreciation of how bigger
organisations work. If you buy your vesion of Word possibly as a small
business or home user yes. Effectively though for bigger businesses and
governments because of the subscription model MS is pushing you end up
not owning the software you subscribe to it for a number of years, so if
they leave you cannot renew the subscription, you are stuffed.

regards

Thing

thingy

Enkidu wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>> Following on from Korea's anti-trust case.
>>
>> MS may throw its toys out of the cot........
>>
>> "If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
>> redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be necessary
>> to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new
>> versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory filing on
>> Thursday."
>>
>> So, if Microsoft withdrew Windows from the Korean market, could Korean
>> citizens in the future access their goverment documents saved already
>> in Microsoft formats? Extrapolate, please, to Massachusetts.
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...51028111756646
>>

> "Withdraw from market" means "don't sell any *more*". The existing
> versions will still be around and will still be able to view documents
> already created in that format.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Most large businesses and Governments dont buy software these days (or
certainly that is MS's plan) the pay a yearly subscription.

What happens if you lose your hd and your cd of MS office is
corrupt/damaged? (mine is). I cannot reload Office 97 if I wanted
to....so I use oOo to look back at old docs....

regards

Thing

Steven Higgan

Hello thingy,

> What happens if you lose your hd and your cd of MS office is
> corrupt/damaged? (mine is). I cannot reload Office 97 if I wanted
> to....so I use oOo to look back at old docs....

ffs there not that unreasnoble

if your cd is broken ring ms and arrange a replacement (i did for a office
97 disc). if its an oem install go to your supplier and moan at them.

the madGeek