Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Outlook Express Won't Work ...

Outlook Express Won't Work ...

Rider

A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
password.

I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
Server.

I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to be
installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.

Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rider

Mark Robinson

Rider wrote:
> A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
> he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
> password.
>
> I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
> Server.
>
> I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to be
> installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
>
> Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Rider

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ?

Rider

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
> Rider wrote:
>> A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted
>> when he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
>> password.
>>
>> I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
>> Server.
>>
>> I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to
>> be installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
>>
>> Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
>>
>> Any help greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Rider
>>

> (E-Mail Removed) ?

He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ... so
its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.

It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.

Mark Robinson

Rider wrote:
> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>
>>Rider wrote:
>>
>>>A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted
>>>when he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
>>>password.
>>>
>>>I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
>>>Server.
>>>
>>>I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to
>>>be installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
>>>
>>>Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
>>>
>>>Any help greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Rider
>>>

>>(E-Mail Removed) ?

> He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ... so
> its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.
>
> It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
> incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.

Try putting in (E-Mail Removed) (whatever that is in reality) instead of just username.

EMB

Rider wrote:
> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>
>>Rider wrote:
>>
>>>A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted
>>>when he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
>>>password.
>>>
>>>I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
>>>Server.
>>>
>>>I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to
>>>be installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
>>>
>>>Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
>>>
>>>Any help greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Rider
>>>

>>(E-Mail Removed) ?

> He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ... so
> its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.
>
> It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
> incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.

You sure you've got the server names right? IIRC Xtra's pop is
pop3.xtra.co.nz

--
EMB

Rider

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djukfr$k1s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rider wrote:
>> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...

>>>(E-Mail Removed) ?

>> He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ...
>> so its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.
>>
>> It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
>> incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.

> You sure you've got the server names right? IIRC Xtra's pop is
> pop3.xtra.co.nz
>
> --
> EMB

Yes, they're correct. I setup multiple internet accounts everyday for
people. First thing I checked was that I hadn't made a typo.

Rider

Dave Doe

In article <k9A8f.3335$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
> he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
> password.
>
> I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
> Server.
>
> I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to be
> installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
>
> Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Is the SBS client firewall installed on the wk.station?

--
Duncan

Dave Doe

In article <k9A8f.3335$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
> he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
> password.
>
> I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
> Server.
>
> I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to be
> installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
>
> Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Rider

Further to my other reply... why is he trying to directly pull email
anyway?

The proper way would be to use the POP connector (which you can use of
course, in conjunction with SMTP email/Exchange Server) - and POP the
account, and poke the incoming direct to his account.

--
Duncan

Mercury

SQL Server has nothing at all to do with the issue. SQL server has nothing
to do with what you are trying to achieve - it is a DBMS.You may as well
blame - take a pick - NTFS file system, OS, NT Backup, Humdity, Wind
direction,anything else that makes you feel better...

Error codes help.

Sounds like a POP config / firewall / network / ISP issue.

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k9A8f.3335$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
>he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
>password.
>
> I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
> Server.
>
> I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to
> be installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
>
> Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Rider

Kristofer Clayton

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:22:25 +1300, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
>he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
>password.

Have you tried ruling out the e-mail client by trying another such as
Mozilla Thunderbird with the same username/password on the same
machine, or perhaps talking directly to the POP3 server at xtra with
the client's username & password to see if it will authenticate. This
may help establish if the problem is an authentication issue or
whether the problem lies deeper in the application or something in the
TCP/IP layer (for instance, an antivirus program that intercepts
POP3/SMTP calls that may be malfunctioning, a rogue firewall, etc)

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand