Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > acer travelmate 512 hdd?

acer travelmate 512 hdd?

me.at@yahoo..co..nz

Hi all
Got hold of a travelmate 512 laptop but found that the hdd is stuffed.
It seeks and seeks but finds nothing and it wont format and I have ran
a couple of hdd diagnostic programs i have and they say its broke.
I have damn small linux on disk and it runs perfect in ram so i reckon
it's just the hd thats gone.

The ? is can i put a new hdd in.
Now most of you are saying of course you can you silly man BUT can i
put a new 40gb in they are quite cheap It came with a 4.3gb.

The bios says nothing about hd I presume it detects auto.
I have played with desktops for awile and have got quite good with
them but this is my first laptop.

so advice would be welcome and if anyone has details on how to replace
the drive would also be welcome or i will be a good kiwi bloke and
wing it

cheers

Toyota16

Have had a look but can only find that it can be upgraded when needed and to
consult your dealer.

<me.at@yahoo..co..nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
> Got hold of a travelmate 512 laptop but found that the hdd is stuffed.
> It seeks and seeks but finds nothing and it wont format and I have ran
> a couple of hdd diagnostic programs i have and they say its broke.
> I have damn small linux on disk and it runs perfect in ram so i reckon
> it's just the hd thats gone.
>
> The ? is can i put a new hdd in.
> Now most of you are saying of course you can you silly man BUT can i
> put a new 40gb in they are quite cheap It came with a 4.3gb.
>
> The bios says nothing about hd I presume it detects auto.
> I have played with desktops for awile and have got quite good with
> them but this is my first laptop.
>
> so advice would be welcome and if anyone has details on how to replace
> the drive would also be welcome or i will be a good kiwi bloke and
> wing it
>
> cheers

Rastus

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:59:14 +1300, me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:

>Hi all
>Got hold of a travelmate 512 laptop but found that the hdd is stuffed.
>It seeks and seeks but finds nothing and it wont format and I have ran
>a couple of hdd diagnostic programs i have and they say its broke.
>I have damn small linux on disk and it runs perfect in ram so i reckon
>it's just the hd thats gone.
>
>The ? is can i put a new hdd in.
>Now most of you are saying of course you can you silly man BUT can i
>put a new 40gb in they are quite cheap It came with a 4.3gb.
>
>The bios says nothing about hd I presume it detects auto.
>I have played with desktops for awile and have got quite good with
>them but this is my first laptop.
>
>so advice would be welcome and if anyone has details on how to replace
>the drive would also be welcome or i will be a good kiwi bloke and
>wing it
>
>cheers

I had one of those exact models and it can be upgraded to a 10gb only
- according to Acer support.

Anyway, it was the motherboard that died on mine and a new replacement
one, if available, would have cost more than a whole laptop.

Remember, this model of Acer is now about 6 years old - well I bought
mine in 99.

Cheers