Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Rant: USB, ADSL and BitTorrents.

Rant: USB, ADSL and BitTorrents.

Chris Hope

steve wrote:

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>>> Hmm, wouldn't that be a breach of copyright downloading those?

>> No. LOL, I paid for them once already by watching them on commercial
>> TV. I watched many hours of advertisments spliced into the
>> programmes. Can you believe such a barbaric practice is actually
>> accepted as normal?

> Good point.

Do you seriously think the copyright holders would agree?

Craig Shore

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:44:10 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why, oh why are we limited to 128kb/s upstream speeds in NZ? Can anyone tell
>me?
>
>I've been downloading some old TV programmes on BitTorrent (Blackadder and
>Fawlty Towers to be precise) and I have an Orcon UBS 2MB connection.*
>
>However, BitTorrent working the way it does, I can only download as much as
>I upload. As you can imagine, this is very frustrating, downloads running at
>around 16kb/s. Also, when running BitTorrent, I find virtually everything
>else is unusable (Web, Usenet, Gaming....) even though I'm only using a tiny
>fraction of my download speed, as the uplink is saturated.
>
>Not happy. I may as well have the old Jetstart 128kb/s connection for my
>purposes. I actually get the benefit of the 2MB downstream very rarely.

My download runs heaps quicker than my upload. I'm on UBS 2mb/128k with ihug.
I've got the upload limited to 10k/sec to stop it getting saturated.

Here's an example of it downloading at 200k/sec 5 mins ago.
http://www.cjs.gen.nz/Image2.gif

I just started them all did a screen cap, then killed them all so there's not
much happening on the upload.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:48:35 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Chris Hope wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> Why, oh why are we limited to 128kb/s upstream speeds in NZ? Can
>>> anyone tell me?

>> Because Telecom is afraid we might start using our connections to host
>> stuff like webservers and mail servers? Because they're bastards?

>The latter I think.
>
>>> I've been downloading some old TV programmes on BitTorrent
>>> (Blackadder and Fawlty Towers to be precise) and I have an Orcon UBS
>>> 2MB connection.*

>> Hmm, wouldn't that be a breach of copyright downloading those?

>No. LOL, I paid for them once already by watching them on commercial TV. I
>watched many hours of advertisments spliced into the programmes. Can you
>believe such a barbaric practice is actually accepted as normal?

Ha - you've been snapped! In a different reply you mention downloading
the second series of House. I'm sure that hasn't been on commercial tv
in NZ yet so how could you have watched the ads

As for me - I'm only downloading programs which contain the full
advertisements so the advertisers get the full benefit of my attention
(even though I can't buy most of the stuff advertised).

Philip

A wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:48:35 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Chris Hope wrote:

>>>Because Telecom is afraid we might start using our connections to host
>>>stuff like webservers and mail servers? Because they're bastards?

>>The latter I think.

>>>Hmm, wouldn't that be a breach of copyright downloading those?

>>No. LOL, I paid for them once already by watching them on commercial TV. I
>>watched many hours of advertisments spliced into the programmes. Can you
>>believe such a barbaric practice is actually accepted as normal?

> Ha - you've been snapped! In a different reply you mention downloading
> the second series of House. I'm sure that hasn't been on commercial tv
> in NZ yet so how could you have watched the ads
>
> As for me - I'm only downloading programs which contain the full
> advertisements so the advertisers get the full benefit of my attention
> (even though I can't buy most of the stuff advertised).

Boringly, the act of downloading may be illegal all by itself.
Regardless of commercial content, which BTW is also copyrighted, you are
acquiring without licence the copyrighted product of some studio or other.

They won't give you a licence, or even sell you one, and I think they
are living in the past with that attitude.

But do not kid yourself: downloading tv programmes is almost always a
breach of copyright, and they could, if they felt like it, come after you.

Copyright law is fairly simple: if you don't own it or have a licence
for it, you are not allowed to copy it. Downloading is the same as
copying for this purpose.

Even if you saw it on commercial tv (do we have another kind of tv
here?) your licence was exhausted by the end of the transmision.

You think it sucks. I think it mostly sucks, but it's the law.

Philip

~misfit~

Chris Hope wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Now, can someone tell me why the word cap did not appear in the
>>> original post?

>> Because I'm on an Orcon "Autosense" plan. I pay $X a month for 1GB,
>> then a further $10 for each 10GB block after that. That's why I feel
>> free to download so much now, I'm paying for what I download so am
>> not "leeching" anyone else's bandwidth. On Orcon's website they say
>> they've significantly increased their international bandwidth (as
>> they should as they're charging for it by the GB now).

> About to go on that plan myself on about Wed next week. Hopefully I
> don't have the same issues when I went from Xtra/Jetstream to
> Ihug/Bitstream and had no connection for about 2 or 3 days...

My changeover was relatively painless. I hope yours is too.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Why, oh why are we limited to 128kb/s upstream speeds in NZ? Can
>> anyone tell me?

> Telecom doesn't want you running servers at anything more than the
> barest minimum level of throughput.
>
>> I've been downloading some old TV programmes on BitTorrent
>> (Blackadder and Fawlty Towers to be precise) and I have an Orcon UBS
>> 2MB connection.*

> Yes.
>
>> However, BitTorrent working the way it does, I can only download as
>> much as I upload. As you can imagine, this is very frustrating,
>> downloads running at around 16kb/s. Also, when running BitTorrent, I
>> find virtually everything else is unusable (Web, Usenet, Gaming....)
>> even though I'm only using a tiny fraction of my download speed, as
>> the uplink is saturated.

> I've seen Bittorrent do much better than that (on Linux, anyway).

I have it running now. 23.7 up, 14.8 down. That's about par for the course
so far.

>> Not happy. I may as well have the old Jetstart 128kb/s connection
>> for my purposes. I actually get the benefit of the 2MB downstream
>> very rarely.

> Try gtk-gnutella / Bearshare / Limewire / <whatever>
>
> Those old TV shows are out there.

Yeah. However, I like to keep up with the odd current one as well. (Just
downloading 'House' series 2 as it screens in the US). I find that about the
only place outside of paid binary newsgroups for current stuff is
bittorrent. The shows are usually available within 24 hours of screening.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Chris Hope wrote:
> steve wrote:

>>> No. LOL, I paid for them once already by watching them on commercial
>>> TV. I watched many hours of advertisments spliced into the
>>> programmes. Can you believe such a barbaric practice is actually
>>> accepted as normal?

>> Good point.

> Do you seriously think the copyright holders would agree?

Do you seriously think I care?

I have my viewpoint, they have theirs. They can take me to court to sort it
out if they want. It's not like I'm selling the shows, just watching them
(again).
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:44:10 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Why, oh why are we limited to 128kb/s upstream speeds in NZ? Can
>> anyone tell me?
>>
>> I've been downloading some old TV programmes on BitTorrent
>> (Blackadder and Fawlty Towers to be precise) and I have an Orcon UBS
>> 2MB connection.*
>>
>> However, BitTorrent working the way it does, I can only download as
>> much as I upload. As you can imagine, this is very frustrating,
>> downloads running at around 16kb/s. Also, when running BitTorrent, I
>> find virtually everything else is unusable (Web, Usenet, Gaming....)
>> even though I'm only using a tiny fraction of my download speed, as
>> the uplink is saturated.
>>
>> Not happy. I may as well have the old Jetstart 128kb/s connection
>> for my purposes. I actually get the benefit of the 2MB downstream
>> very rarely.

> My download runs heaps quicker than my upload. I'm on UBS 2mb/128k
> with ihug. I've got the upload limited to 10k/sec to stop it getting
> saturated.
>
> Here's an example of it downloading at 200k/sec 5 mins ago.
> http://www.cjs.gen.nz/Image2.gif
>
> I just started them all did a screen cap, then killed them all so
> there's not much happening on the upload.

Must be this Orcon layer 7 packet sniffing or whatever then. At the moment
upload 28, down 7.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

A wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:48:35 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Chris Hope wrote:

>>> Because Telecom is afraid we might start using our connections to
>>> host stuff like webservers and mail servers? Because they're
>>> bastards?

>> The latter I think.

>>> Hmm, wouldn't that be a breach of copyright downloading those?

>> No. LOL, I paid for them once already by watching them on commercial
>> TV. I watched many hours of advertisments spliced into the
>> programmes. Can you believe such a barbaric practice is actually
>> accepted as normal?

> Ha - you've been snapped! In a different reply you mention downloading
> the second series of House. I'm sure that hasn't been on commercial tv
> in NZ yet so how could you have watched the ads

Ummm, give me a minute, I'll think of something...... Ok, got it! The first
series was so good I watched it twice. (I videotape everything, I hate being
told when I have to watch things). In fact, some episodes I watched three
times. *And* I'm on the A.C. Nielsen peoplemeter team so it will show in the
statistics.

Good save?

> As for me - I'm only downloading programs which contain the full
> advertisements so the advertisers get the full benefit of my attention
> (even though I can't buy most of the stuff advertised).

--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Philip wrote:

<snip>

> Even if you saw it on commercial tv (do we have another kind of tv
> here?) your licence was exhausted by the end of the transmision.

So it's illegal to videotape a TV programme? What's with this whole G-Code
thing then? Surely they should all be clapped in irons?

> You think it sucks. I think it mostly sucks, but it's the law.

Doesn't make it right.
--
~misfit~