Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ergh... trademe nightmare

ergh... trademe nightmare

Steve

Hi all,

Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

> Hi Steve,
> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
> appears
> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and the
> CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
> nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried more
> than
> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I guess
I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error beep
in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out to
be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?

Cheers,

Steve

EMB

Steve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
> he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
> P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
> been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
> computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
> carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

Check the PSU he's using is up to the power requirements - and he has
got a P4 PSU with the extra 4 pin connector hasn't he.

Check the clear CMOS jumper is correctly set/hasn't fallen off - I've
had a couple of boards that play dodo when that happens.

--
EMB

Dave Doe

In article <djq4r2$hlc$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Steve wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
> > he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
> > P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
> > been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
> > computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
> > carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

> Check the PSU he's using is up to the power requirements - and he has
> got a P4 PSU with the extra 4 pin connector hasn't he.
>
> Check the clear CMOS jumper is correctly set/hasn't fallen off - I've
> had a couple of boards that play dodo when that happens.

Or even that maybe he's jumpered the reset! - or... his reset button is
stuck in (just somethin' that happenned to me years ago).

--
Duncan

SteveM

"Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all,
>
> Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now
> that he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a
> motherboard (Asus P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4
> 2.53Ghz) combo that had been working fine for me while I was using it.
> In a past life I worked as a computer tech, so I know how to handle
> computer parts and packed them carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's
> what he had to say:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the
>> motherboard,
>> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
>> appears
>> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash
>> and the CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive
>> turns on, but nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be
>> hear. I have tried more than
>> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
>> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
>> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

> So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I
> guess I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose
> $ and get some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems
> could be causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU
> and RAM. Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to
> him, such as making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd
> expect an error beep in that case), so any advice on what to try would
> be much appreciated. Also out of interest, I will refund his money if
> the components turn out to be dead, but where do other people stand in
> this situation?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

If the Mb has onboard video get him to use that first.
Make sure he is using an AGP video card with the correct AGP version
i.e. 4x 8x, not 1x or 2x.

SteveM

Not Dave

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:50:32 +1300, "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net
DOT nz> growled these words from under a rock:

>Hi all,
>
>Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
>he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
>P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
>been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
>computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
>carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
>> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
>> appears
>> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and the
>> CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
>> nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried more
>> than
>> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
>> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
>> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

>So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I guess
>I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
>some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
>causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
>Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
>making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error beep
>in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
>Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out to
>be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?

It'll most likely be his power supply. Check the wattage and brand,
and whether it is suitable (ie extra PSU power connector).

In regards to it not working, whilst it's a real bitch of a situation,
you really should refund it. It's not really fair, but the options are
limited.

EMB

Not Dave wrote:

> In regards to it not working, whilst it's a real bitch of a situation,
> you really should refund it. It's not really fair, but the options are
> limited.

And if you do refund it, but it turns out to work, I might be interested
in buying it (as of about 5 minutes ago when one of the boxes here let
it's smoke go).

--
EMB

XP

wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now that
>he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard (Asus
>P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
>been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as a
>computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
>carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
>> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
>> appears
>> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and the
>> CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
>> nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried more
>> than
>> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
>> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
>> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

>So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I guess
>I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
>some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
>causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
>Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
>making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error beep
>in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
>Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out to
>be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Steve

This is a normal problem, its the same with a car Radio, if its not installed
by a approved Tech the warrantee is Void..

Ask him to get a shop to install it all.

This should have been the condition of the sale, as this covers you from
idiots..

graviton

"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:50:32 +1300, "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT

nz>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now

that
> >he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard

(Asus
> >P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
> >been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as

> >computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
> >carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
> >
> >> Hi Steve,
> >> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
> >> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
> >> appears
> >> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and

the
> >> CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on, but
> >> nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried

more
> >> than
> >> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
> >> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
> >> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

> >So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I

guess
> >I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
> >some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
> >causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
> >Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
> >making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error

beep
> >in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
> >Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out

> >be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Steve
> >

> This is a normal problem, its the same with a car Radio, if its not

installed
> by a approved Tech the warrantee is Void..
>
> Ask him to get a shop to install it all.
>
> This should have been the condition of the sale, as this covers you from
> idiots..

You could ask him what precautions he took when handling the hardware, if he
did not handle things in a safe way then you can hardly be held accountable
if the hardware is now faulty, of course if you did not take the correct
precautions then the same applies, I know there are a hell of a lot of
cowboys out there when it comes to computer hardware installations and some
of them work in computer stores. It's always put me off buying 2ndhand
parts, I assume if the person does not make a point of how he handle them
then he does not understand the importance and therefore likely did not
handle them correctly even if he knows what you are suppose to do, this is
the problem with knowing things but not knowing the why.

XP

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:45:12 +1300, "graviton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:50:32 +1300, "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT

>nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now

>that
>> >he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard

>(Asus
>> >P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that had
>> >been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked as

>> >computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
>> >carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

>the

>more
>> >
>> >So, obviously I want him to be able to get them going. If he can't I

>guess
>> >I'll have to refund his money, which I'm not so keen on, I lose $ and get
>> >some expensive junk back in return. So what sort of problems could be
>> >causing this. Bare in mind that I only supplied the Mobo, CPU and RAM.
>> >Everything else is his. I've suggested the usual suspects to him, such as
>> >making sure everything is seated properly (although I'd expect an error

>beep
>> >in that case), so any advice on what to try would be much appreciated.
>> >Also out of interest, I will refund his money if the components turn out

>> >be dead, but where do other people stand in this situation?
>> >
>> >Cheers,
>> >
>> >Steve
>> >

>> This is a normal problem, its the same with a car Radio, if its not

>installed
>> by a approved Tech the warrantee is Void..
>>
>> Ask him to get a shop to install it all.
>>
>> This should have been the condition of the sale, as this covers you from
>> idiots..
>>

>You could ask him what precautions he took when handling the hardware, if he
>did not handle things in a safe way then you can hardly be held accountable
>if the hardware is now faulty, of course if you did not take the correct
>precautions then the same applies, I know there are a hell of a lot of
>cowboys out there when it comes to computer hardware installations and some
>of them work in computer stores. It's always put me off buying 2ndhand
>parts, I assume if the person does not make a point of how he handle them
>then he does not understand the importance and therefore likely did not
>handle them correctly even if he knows what you are suppose to do, this is
>the problem with knowing things but not knowing the why.

The other problem that get missed is the CMos battery, in my mind these
should be removed before you install the MoBo in the case, as its possible
that the solder contacts on the back of the board can short to other bits via
the metal case and blow them up..

Fran

"Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Need some advice. I just sold some parts to a fella on Trademe and now
> that he's got them he says he can't get them to work. It was a motherboard
> (Asus P4PE) , RAM (512 Meg PC3200 Mushkin) and CPU (P4 2.53Ghz) combo that
> had been working fine for me while I was using it. In a past life I worked
> as a computer tech, so I know how to handle computer parts and packed them
> carefully for shipping. Anyway, here's what he had to say:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>> I took ever amount of care possible while installing the motherboard,
>> but I havn't maganged to get it working. I plug it it. The Greenlight
>> appears
>> when I plug it in, and when I turn it on the keyboard lights flash and
>> the CPU fan and my Box fans start spinning and the harddrive turns on,
>> but nothing appears on the screen and no sounds can be hear. I have tried
>> more than
>> one graphic card, and I have tried unpluging everything, so only the
>> graphic card and the power is plugged in yet nothing.
>> Please advise on what we are to do from here.

Pop every card out including the RAM.
Leave just the PSU, CPU and keyboard.
Does it do the long BEEP's?

Fran

trademe con? - $10 to ask a question bruce NZ Computing 44 03-14-2010 03:59 AM
Trademe alternatives? paora NZ Computing 7 03-14-2010 03:53 AM
Trademe idiots Weez NZ Computing 57 05-20-2004 05:19 AM
Question about "TradeMe" bidding Craig NZ Computing 2 01-27-2004 08:51 AM
TradeMe strangeness JD NZ Computing 16 08-08-2003 06:08 AM

Advertisments