Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telstra / Paradise broadband price obscenities

Telstra / Paradise broadband price obscenities

dud_address@paradise.net.nz

A year or two ago they introduced attractive broadband options via
cable, though the prices even then were not that hot.

Incredibly since then, most of their prices have remained either
static or increased! Everywhere else they have - well if not tumbled,
then generally reduced significantly.

I contacted TelstraClear 8 months ago re their pricing & packages.
Got a reply back reassuring me that

"Our marketing department are aware of this situation and we are
currently investigating ways to reduce the pricing costs for highspeed
internet and Telstraclear packages". "Marketing department" !!!

Six months later, it was

"We had placed the revising of our internet plans on the back
burnerfor a short time while we have been launching our Digital TV
service. Introducing a better competitive pricing for high speed
internet is high on our agenda and we should have more information on
this shortly."

Yes shortly after that (days) the new digital TV service was announced
- along with new package pricing that in effect INCREASED the cost of
their cable plans

The most obscene of all are their data charges - still up to $4.95 /
100MB - yes that's $495 / 10GB.

For the 5GB plan it is cheaper - $9.95 per 500MB, but that is still
$199 / 10GB compared to $10 for the same now available elsewhere.
Makes Telecom look angelic.

Even the base charges are no longer competitive;

eg; 5GB pm @ 2Mbs costs $70.90 + $10.95 (modem rent) !
($150.90 + 10.95 for their 10GB / 10Mbs plan !!!!). Have no option
over the modem rental, so that is part of the fixed monthly cost -
elsewhere you buy one for $100.

vs say 3GB pm @ 2Mbs for $59.95 ($49.95 with tolls) at Slingshot, but
an extra 10GB for $10. Similar pricing elsewhere, albeit bundled
differently.

Recently Dr Freeth spoke of the value of their cable customers

As a longterm cable customer, all I can say is they had better start
taking care of them, or they will start loosing many of them. Despite
Dr Freeth's pronouncements, at times I have begun to wonder if they
really do want to retain the cable system.

David

Posted to nz.comp
cc. Dr Freeth

dud_address@paradise.net.nz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:30:45 +1300, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Even the base charges are no longer competitive;

>eg; 5GB pm @ 2Mbs costs $70.90 + $10.95 (modem rent) !
>($150.90 + 10.95 for their 10GB / 10Mbs plan !!!!). Have no option
>over the modem rental, so that is part of the fixed monthly cost -
>elsewhere you buy one for $100.

Apologies, I mis-read a new page on the TC site. The $70.90 and
$150.90 figures are inclusive of modem hire. In the past rates were
always given excl modem hire.

Does not much alter the conclusions - and has no effect on the current
very high rates for excess data.

Even in the new plans that are now rumoured, the "excess data" rate is
still VERY high, if they are indeed correct; eg.

$134.95 20gig 10mbps
$79.95 10gig 10mbps

Only difference between those plans is 10GB of traffic for an extra
$55 (vs 10GB for $10 elsewhere). Still uncertain if the 1/10 loading
for national traffic will continue, but in our case that is not
significant as our national traffic averages only 10% of total.

David