Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > sub $300 vid cards

sub $300 vid cards

XP

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:49:31 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:45:33 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I'm going to upgrade my PC - new MB, CPU and graphics card. I've settled on
>>>an Nvidia NForce 4 motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+ CPU.
>>>
>>>I have about $300 left to spend on a PCI-E graphics card. It seems from the
>>>research I've done that the 6600GT 256MB cards probably deliver the best
>>>bang for the buck in the sub $300 category. I'm looking at something that
>>>will handle current-gen games quite nicely e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom
>>>3.
>>>
>>>Are there better cards in my price range I should be looking at?
>>>
>>>This is the one I have my eye on ...
>>>Legend GeForce 6600GT PCI-E 256MB VCL004
>>>$287.70

>A strong contender in that price range me thinks. You can get more
>powerful but the price jump is huge and the gains questionable unless
>you are a die hard gamer.
>
>The other alternative is to carefully think about whether you really
>need 256meg of ram on that graphics card, I decided on 128 but with the
>6600GT GPU, thats around $219.
>
>The money saved might get you the next fastest AMD CPU or a better
>GPU....bit of a balancing act.....
>
>eg I dont know if you can get a 6800 with 128meg of ram circa $300...
>
>> Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

>"seems to be"
>
>Proof?

Do a Google search

>I have looked at some reviews and so far all have been positive, the
>worst comment has been fan seems a little noisey.
>
>My biggest concern is adequate cooling of sub-components as you
>mentioned in earlier posts, they do come with a 3 year warrantee though
>suggesting someone has confidence in their product, if it was 6 month,
>I'd run a mile.
>
>eg

Only required on the AGP version, does not affect the PCI-E ones

>http://www.cbcnz.com/product_info.ph...8c1c15c20b8cdf
>
>gives a 3 year warrantee....
>

>regards
>
>Thing

EMB

XP wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:49:31 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>XP wrote:
>>
>>>Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

>>"seems to be"
>>
>>Proof?

> Do a Google search

Right.... Hit number 2 is 'Legend Corporation' at
http://www.legendmemory.com

Their 'Contact Us' page gives office details in:

Australia - 6 offices
NZ
Hong Kong
Thailand
Singapore
Taiwan
South Africa
Europe
Indonesia

Doesn't look much like a crap NZ company/brand to me. On their
certifications page they have product endorsements from Dell and Acer.
I'm not sure either of these endorsements screams 'CRAP' either.

And.. I can't find anything knocking them. That said I can't find any
clock speed specs either.

--
EMB

thingy

XP wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:49:31 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>XP wrote:

>>A strong contender in that price range me thinks. You can get more
>>powerful but the price jump is huge and the gains questionable unless
>>you are a die hard gamer.
>>
>>The other alternative is to carefully think about whether you really
>>need 256meg of ram on that graphics card, I decided on 128 but with the
>>6600GT GPU, thats around $219.
>>
>>The money saved might get you the next fastest AMD CPU or a better
>>GPU....bit of a balancing act.....
>>
>>eg I dont know if you can get a 6800 with 128meg of ram circa $300...
>>

>>>Seems to be Crap brand made for New Zealand..

>>"seems to be"
>>
>>Proof?
>>
>>I have looked at some reviews and so far all have been positive, the
>>worst comment has been fan seems a little noisey.
>>
>>My biggest concern is adequate cooling of sub-components as you
>>mentioned in earlier posts, they do come with a 3 year warrantee though
>>suggesting someone has confidence in their product, if it was 6 month,
>>I'd run a mile.
>>
>>eg
>>
>>http://www.cbcnz.com/product_info.ph...8c1c15c20b8cdf
>>
>>gives a 3 year warrantee....

>>>ATI can't compete with the 6600GT for price and performance

>>I agree, I looked at ATI and the 9600 series was described as little
>>better than my 4200ti,
>>
>>Tomshardare showed the 6600GT a good performer giving a decent
>>performance boost over the 9600 for little more $.
>>
>>This is a good page showing the relative performance between cards.
>>
>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...s-pcie-02.html
>>
>>After reading a bit I decided an AGP 6600GT with 128 meg ram fitted the
>>bill nicely......fast enough to be an improvement over my failed card,
>>fast enough to play newer games ie directx9 but priced at my spending
>>limit (below $250).
>>
>>In the new year a new motherboard and pci-express setup (hopefully
>>anyway) the athlon 4400 x 2 looks best bang for the $ when the biz is
>>audio and video compression work....

>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> I tried to one of the latest games with all the option on, it forced me too
> go 800x600 , with High Detail on, if I wish to go higher I needed 500megs of
> Video ram..

Interesting as most cards only come with 256.

but horses for courses, my 4200ti only had 64 and was mostly good
enough....so I have doubled the ram and a better gpu and all for $250
which is $150 cheaper than the 4200ti was.

As an intrim solution until I move to pci-express it suits me ideally.

regards

Thing

~misfit~

MarkH wrote:
> Legend describe themselves as an Australian company.

Holy Mother of God! Don't deal with them then.
--
~misfit~

Not Dave

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:45:33 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <(E-Mail Removed)>
growled these words from under a rock:

>Any comments on the Legend brand? What about the chipset compared to a
>similar priced ATI chipset card?

Legend are a "cheap" brand, and you will most likely be disappointed
by the performance of the card.

The NZ guys are great, though. But, of course, that doesn't make your
video card run any faster...