Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom does it again!

Telecom does it again!

Philip

Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
move to broadband.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794

But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
company's shoddy behavior.

Who can we lobby to get action on this?

Philip

Who Am I

In article <435d7314$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
> This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
> take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
> move to broadband.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>
> But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
> is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
> company's shoddy behavior.
>
> Who can we lobby to get action on this?
>
> Philip

Its more a case of until Telecom can kill off the likes of skype they
have no intention of getting high speed networking into NZ at a
realistic rate.

Oh, I do have the 2Mb/s at home and love it, I would prefer it to be
either
a) cheaper
b) Data cap removed
c) Fixed IP
D) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

XP

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
>move to broadband.
>
>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>
>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
>company's shoddy behavior.
>
>Who can we lobby to get action on this?
>
>Philip

What has Free Local calling to do with Broadband..?

Broadband is far to dear here, slow and unreliable.

Most people I know have no need to the added experience and what it can offer.

Most Internet users here are totally illiterate as far as the Internet goes,
ask most what Usenet is..?

Plus don't forget we don't have LLU unbundled here..

Richard

Philip wrote:
> Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
> This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
> take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
> move to broadband.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>
> But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
> is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
> company's shoddy behavior.
>
> Who can we lobby to get action on this?

Well when all telecoms "broadband" offerings **** out after a patheticly small
amount of traffic, then you may as well use dialup and get the same shitty
speeds from the word go and save a few bucks. You have to have the $40 phone
line for either, and the dialup is cheaper then any of the telecom "broadband"
plans if you are going to just hammer the connection 24/7 and dont care how slow
it is, so long as its up so the emails come thru.

So, yeah, the flatrate dialup is an attractive alternate compared with the ****
offerings that are the only alternate.

Not Dave

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)>
growled these words from under a rock:

>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
>move to broadband.
>
>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>
>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
>company's shoddy behavior.
>
>Who can we lobby to get action on this?

Telecom always have a go at trying to get out of Kiwishare about this
time each year. Some of us think one of their execs has it in their
(Microsoft Outlook, powered by Exchange, running on Windows) calendar,
with an annual recurrence. It does seem as regular as clockwork.

I think their rationale is that if there weren't free local calls,
people would have to pay them heaps for using dialup, and hence it
wouldn't be such a price increase to go to broadband.

They've actually got a point from a logical point of view, however
****ed up it is.

Richard

Not Dave wrote:

> Telecom always have a go at trying to get out of Kiwishare about this
> time each year. Some of us think one of their execs has it in their
> (Microsoft Outlook, powered by Exchange, running on Windows) calendar,
> with an annual recurrence. It does seem as regular as clockwork.
>
> I think their rationale is that if there weren't free local calls,
> people would have to pay them heaps for using dialup, and hence it
> wouldn't be such a price increase to go to broadband.
>
> They've actually got a point from a logical point of view, however
> ****ed up it is.

They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least change it
to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the same exchange.

PAM.

> They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least

change it
> to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the same

exchange.

Nah. Leave it alone. I'm miles away from CHC and don't want to pay for
calling there if I can help it

PAM.

Bling Bling

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:05:12 +1300, Richard wrote:

> They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
> change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
> same exchange.

"Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
should already know that!

Bling Bling

--
Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than
that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you

Gordon

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:30:29 +1300, Who Am I wrote:

> Oh, I do have the 2Mb/s at home and love it, I would prefer it to be
> either
> a) cheaper
> b) Data cap removed
> c) Fixed IP
> D) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Read cheaper, in one form or another.

-=rjh=-

Philip wrote:
> Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
> This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
> take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
> move to broadband.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>
> But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
> is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
> company's shoddy behavior.

Probably not helped by Telecom's advertising - presenting broadband as
something that best installed and appreciated by geeks is probably not
the smartest thing I've seen.

People just don't "get" networking or broadband so they won't upgrade;
they need to see the benefits demonstrated for them. They need to see
how useful "always on" computing and networking is.

For example, I'm sure most people here know of households with multiple
computers, who take turns to use dialup or have two phone lines?