Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom does it again!

Telecom does it again!

Matthew Poole

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:04:57 +1300, someone purporting to be Bling Bling
didst scrawl:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:05:12 +1300, Richard wrote:
>
>> They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
>> change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
>> same exchange.

> "Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
> should already know that!

No, it doesn't. It means some arbitrary geographical boundary, and thus
you end up with neighbours who have to make toll calls across the fence.
It's not truly local at all, never has been.
Making it the same exchange would be overly restrictive, but the
boundaries need to be flexible so that the above scenario (which really
does happen) becomes a thing of the past. Maybe draw large circles around
each exchange, and the people within that circle can call others within
that circle at the current unmetered rate. The circles would obviously
overlap, and so people would be certain to be within the same circle as
their neighbours.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

news.xtra.co.nz

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:435d7314$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
> This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
> take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to move
> to broadband.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>
> But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
> is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
> company's shoddy behavior.
>
> Who can we lobby to get action on this?
>
> Philip

I was speaking to an aquaintance who works at telecom and we was laughing
his head off at what telecom is getting away with.

thingy

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:435d7314$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
>>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
>>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to move
>>to broadband.
>>
>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>>
>>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
>>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
>>company's shoddy behavior.

Same in US, OZ, UK etc etc.

>>Who can we lobby to get action on this?

Our MPs.

>>Philip

> I was speaking to an aquaintance who works at telecom and we was laughing
> his head off at what telecom is getting away with.

Yep, shocking....

Killing Telecom's golden goose though has the potential for a huge
economic effect. Telecom's share price props up the share index and
pensions, do over Telecom and these 2 suffer badly. Also at least
Telecom is a NZ company, if we kill off Telecom the winner is Telstra
and the Austrailians becaus ethe profit will go there.

So at present the "Telecom tax" is hurting NZ businesses
re-competitiveness, we (I mean small businesses) could do lots of
offshore business if data traffic was a reasonable price.....

regards

Thing

steve

Philip wrote:

> Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
> This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
> take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
> move to broadband.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794

Yeah...the usual Telecom BS.....

You'd think they'd be ashamed telling porkies like that - but they aren't.

> But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
> is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
> company's shoddy behavior.

The only telco worse than NZ Telecom is Telstra.

> Who can we lobby to get action on this?

The problem with freeing up this market any more is that you're handing more
of it to Telstra.

The only rational answer is to have the government own the infrastructure
and upgrade and improve it as the national interest demands......selling
access to it to service providers.

Oh....Richard Prebble sold the infrastructure AND the company for barely
more than $4 billion.

Obviously stupid at the time given that it would have cost 5 to 10 times
that amount to build a duplicate network.

Just one more thing Prebble touched and screwed up.

steve

Who Am I wrote:

> Oh, I do have the 2Mb/s at home and love it, I would prefer it to be
> either
> a) cheaper
> b) Data cap removed
> c) Fixed IP
> D) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

E) uplink speed increased to at LEAST 256k.

steve

Richard wrote:

> Not Dave wrote:
>
>> Telecom always have a go at trying to get out of Kiwishare about this
>> time each year. Some of us think one of their execs has it in their
>> (Microsoft Outlook, powered by Exchange, running on Windows) calendar,
>> with an annual recurrence. It does seem as regular as clockwork.
>>
>> I think their rationale is that if there weren't free local calls,
>> people would have to pay them heaps for using dialup, and hence it
>> wouldn't be such a price increase to go to broadband.
>>
>> They've actually got a point from a logical point of view, however
>> ****ed up it is.

> They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
> change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
> same exchange.

No.

The current system is based on communities - and the impact of messing with
the cost of communication within a community is non-trivial.

Effectively taxing all phone calls to fill the pockets of a monopoly makes
NO economic or social sense from any perspective other than Telecom's.

steve

XP wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
>>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
>>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
>>move to broadband.
>>
>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>>
>>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
>>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
>>company's shoddy behavior.
>>
>>Who can we lobby to get action on this?
>>
>>Philip

> What has Free Local calling to do with Broadband..?

They say if you can dial-up for hours for free on a local call....and only
pay an ISP $10 / month for Internet access.....then you won't pay $49 /
month for ADSL.

thingy

Bling Bling wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:05:12 +1300, Richard wrote:
>

>>They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
>>change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
>>same exchange.

> "Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
> should already know that!
>

> Bling Bling

The main telecom exchange for kapiti cost is porirua, A while back
Telecom decided it would charge to phone the kapiti cost from
wellington.....simply based on a geographical line arbitarily decided
upon, all it took was a software recode at the porirua exchange, 5mins
work. Classic price gouging, so I and many moved to Clear as the calls
are still free.......if they ever stop it, I will ditch the land line
and put the extra on my vodaphone, way better.

regards

Thing

Bling Bling

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:49:33 +1300, Matthew Poole wrote:

>> "Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
>> should already know that!
>>

> No, it doesn't. It means some arbitrary geographical boundary, and thus
> you end up with neighbours who have to make toll calls across the fence.
> It's not truly local at all, never has been.
> Making it the same exchange would be overly restrictive, but the
> boundaries need to be flexible so that the above scenario (which really
> does happen) becomes a thing of the past. Maybe draw large circles around
> each exchange, and the people within that circle can call others within
> that circle at the current unmetered rate. The circles would obviously
> overlap, and so people would be certain to be within the same circle as
> their neighbours.

I'd go along with that - because there would be a boundary area that falls
within both exchanges. Ideally one should live in that boundary area -
you'd be able to ring anybody within both areas. )

Bling Bling

--
Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

XP

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:28:35 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
>>>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
>>>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
>>>move to broadband.
>>>
>>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10351794
>>>
>>>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
>>>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
>>>company's shoddy behavior.
>>>
>>>Who can we lobby to get action on this?
>>>
>>>Philip

>> What has Free Local calling to do with Broadband..?

>They say if you can dial-up for hours for free on a local call....and only
>pay an ISP $10 / month for Internet access.....then you won't pay $49 /
>month for ADSL.

But do People need ADSL..?