Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Weard fault

Weard fault

Robert Cooze

Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results. Now I know I
could wipe the probermatic partition and re load windows XP and It will
be fixed but I don't realy have the time.

My network consists of some windows boxes win98 and WinXP pro and some
Linux machines.

I have a IpCop box with red (modem) and green and Orange interfaces It
does my DNS for my network the http and ftp stuff.

I have a machine that has quite a few webpages as well as a mp3 server
streamer and mail server.

the Problem machine has WinXP pro win98 and Linux, The win98 and linux
work properly as one would expect. However WinXP has shagged its self in
the folling way.
windows networking SMB is ok
tcpip proticals like ftp http work with ip numbers
like http://192.168.2.1 http://192.168.2.30:9000/stream.mp3

but http://mongo4.mongo.cooze.co.nz &
http://orac.cooze.co.nz:9000/stream.mp3 dont work
these names are on the green side of the network and are not accessibul
from the red side. they work from any machine on the green.

So my problem looks like Name resolution from my dns server or so I
thought. so I thought lets eddit the hosts file to point to some of the
machines in my network and it did not work.
So at some stage I did the virus and spyware check and Nada nuthing found.

So google was employed and the best sujestion was disable turn off
uninstall 3rd party personal firewalls. so after a unstall of kyro and a
reboot things seemed to work better.

But Alas it was not to be. The fault seems to be intermittent. so I
check and swap cables arround I moved the ipcop box clocer the best I
could come up with was un plugging the green ethernet from Ipcop and re
incerting and things would work ok for a short time as well as changing
the Ip address and so forth but nothing seems to be perminant.

Now I am back to google and getting no good results. My Xp machine has
all the updates and is running SP2. I was thinking mabey the tcpip stack
is hosed or somthing is redirecting the dns requests I was thinking I
should try a packet sniffer or even see what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the ip
cop box shows up.

sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am 90% certen It is not
hard ware fault as 98 and linux dont seem to have the problem on the
same machine using the same ipaddress card and port on the swich I do
have a hub I can use If nessory.

Thanks in advance

Enkidu

Robert Cooze wrote:
> Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results.
> Now I know I could wipe the probermatic partition and re
> load windows XP and It will be fixed but I don't realy
> have the time.
>
> My network consists of some windows boxes win98 and WinXP
> pro and some Linux machines.
>
> I have a IpCop box with red (modem) and green and Orange
> interfaces It does my DNS for my network the http and ftp
> stuff.
>
> I have a machine that has quite a few webpages as well as
> a mp3 server streamer and mail server.
>
> the Problem machine has WinXP pro win98 and Linux, The
> win98 and linux work properly as one would expect.
> However WinXP has shagged its self in the folling way.
> windows networking SMB is ok tcpip proticals like ftp
> http work with ip numbers like http://192.168.2.1
> http://192.168.2.30:9000/stream.mp3
>
> but http://mongo4.mongo.cooze.co.nz &
> http://orac.cooze.co.nz:9000/stream.mp3 dont work these
> names are on the green side of the network and are not
> accessibul from the red side. they work from any machine
> on the green.
>
> So my problem looks like Name resolution from my dns
> server or so I thought. so I thought lets eddit the hosts
> file to point to some of the machines in my network and
> it did not work. So at some stage I did the virus and
> spyware check and Nada nuthing found.
>
> So google was employed and the best sujestion was disable
> turn off uninstall 3rd party personal firewalls. so after
> a unstall of kyro and a reboot things seemed to work
> better.
>
> But Alas it was not to be. The fault seems to be
> intermittent. so I check and swap cables arround I moved
> the ipcop box clocer the best I could come up with was un
> plugging the green ethernet from Ipcop and re incerting
> and things would work ok for a short time as well as
> changing the Ip address and so forth but nothing seems to
> be perminant.
>
> Now I am back to google and getting no good results. My
> Xp machine has all the updates and is running SP2. I was
> thinking mabey the tcpip stack is hosed or somthing is
> redirecting the dns requests I was thinking I should try
> a packet sniffer or even see what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the
> ip cop box shows up.
>
> sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am 90%
> certen It is not hard ware fault as 98 and linux dont
> seem to have the problem on the same machine using the
> same ipaddress card and port on the swich I do have a hub
> I can use If nessory.

What have you set the DNS to?

Cheers,

Cliff

Robert Cooze

Enkidu wrote:
> Robert Cooze wrote:
>
>> Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results.
>> Now I know I could wipe the probermatic partition and re
>> load windows XP and It will be fixed but I don't realy
>> have the time.
>>
>> My network consists of some windows boxes win98 and WinXP
>> pro and some Linux machines.
>>
>> I have a IpCop box with red (modem) and green and Orange
>> interfaces It does my DNS for my network the http and ftp
>> stuff.
>>
>> I have a machine that has quite a few webpages as well as
>> a mp3 server streamer and mail server.
>>
>> the Problem machine has WinXP pro win98 and Linux, The
>> win98 and linux work properly as one would expect.
>> However WinXP has shagged its self in the folling way. windows
>> networking SMB is ok tcpip proticals like ftp
>> http work with ip numbers like http://192.168.2.1
>> http://192.168.2.30:9000/stream.mp3
>>
>> but http://mongo4.mongo.cooze.co.nz &
>> http://orac.cooze.co.nz:9000/stream.mp3 dont work these
>> names are on the green side of the network and are not
>> accessibul from the red side. they work from any machine
>> on the green.
>>
>> So my problem looks like Name resolution from my dns
>> server or so I thought. so I thought lets eddit the hosts
>> file to point to some of the machines in my network and
>> it did not work. So at some stage I did the virus and
>> spyware check and Nada nuthing found.
>>
>> So google was employed and the best sujestion was disable
>> turn off uninstall 3rd party personal firewalls. so after
>> a unstall of kyro and a reboot things seemed to work
>> better.
>>
>> But Alas it was not to be. The fault seems to be
>> intermittent. so I check and swap cables arround I moved
>> the ipcop box clocer the best I could come up with was un
>> plugging the green ethernet from Ipcop and re incerting
>> and things would work ok for a short time as well as
>> changing the Ip address and so forth but nothing seems to
>> be perminant.
>>
>> Now I am back to google and getting no good results. My
>> Xp machine has all the updates and is running SP2. I was
>> thinking mabey the tcpip stack is hosed or somthing is
>> redirecting the dns requests I was thinking I should try
>> a packet sniffer or even see what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the
>> ip cop box shows up.
>>
>> sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am 90%
>> certen It is not hard ware fault as 98 and linux dont
>> seem to have the problem on the same machine using the
>> same ipaddress card and port on the swich I do have a hub
>> I can use If nessory.
>>

> What have you set the DNS to?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

dns points from all machines to ipcop box. On ipcop box host entries
have been added to point to machines on my network. When fault is in
full swing even getting outside of the network to the real internet is
impossable but if i type a ip adress in browser i get the approcat web
page. Ip copbox is using orcons dns to know where to go, when the
machine xp machine is faulty the other machine on network work fine.
Also other operaton systems on this machine work fine.

Enkidu

Robert Cooze wrote:
> [...]
>>> somthing is redirecting the dns requests I was
>>> thinking I should try a packet sniffer or even see
>>> what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the ip cop box shows up.
>>>
>>> sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am
>>> 90% certen It is not hard ware fault as 98 and linux
>>> dont seem to have the problem on the same machine
>>> using the same ipaddress card and port on the swich I
>>> do have a hub I can use If nessory.
>>>

>> What have you set the DNS to?

> dns points from all machines to ipcop box. On ipcop box
> host entries have been added to point to machines on my
> network. When fault is in full swing even getting
> outside of the network to the real internet is impossable
> but if i type a ip adress in browser i get the approcat
> web page. Ip copbox is using orcons dns to know where to
> go, when the machine xp machine is faulty the other
> machine on network work fine. Also other operaton systems

Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
*both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.

I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file.
But maybe that IS the way it works. I'd check.

Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.

Have you considered having an internal DNS on one or other
of the boxes, if ipcop is only being a proxy?

Cheers,

Cliff

EMB

Enkidu wrote:

> Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
> *both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
> configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.
>
> I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
> that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file. But maybe
> that IS the way it works. I'd check.

That is the way it works. And it works well for me. My only thought is
what version is being run - I had various randomly occurring issues with
1.4.8 but 1.4.9 seems stable.

> Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
> real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
> to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
> requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.

IPCop acts only as a DNS proxy, but checks entries from it's hosts files
before it does an external lookup.

--
EMB

EMB

Robert Cooze wrote:
> Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results. Now I know I
> could wipe the probermatic partition and re load windows XP and It will
> be fixed but I don't realy have the time.

MAybe this?

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/dns_ca...e_neg_cache%3E

--
EMB

Robert Cooze

Enkidu wrote:
> Robert Cooze wrote:

>>> What have you set the DNS to?

>> dns points from all machines to ipcop box. On ipcop box host entries
>> have been added to point to machines on my network. When fault is in
>> full swing even getting outside of the network to the real internet is
>> impossable
>> but if i type a ip adress in browser i get the approcat web page. Ip
>> copbox is using orcons dns to know where to
>> go, when the machine xp machine is faulty the other machine on network
>> work fine. Also other operaton systems
>> on this machine work fine.
>>

> Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
> *both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
> configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.
>
> I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
> that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file. But maybe
> that IS the way it works. I'd check.
>
> Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
> real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
> to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
> requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.
>
> Have you considered having an internal DNS on one or other
> of the boxes, if ipcop is only being a proxy?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Yes I can use another box to do dns If I have to but all other boxes on
the network and other oses on this computer work ok it is just the XPpro
install problem,

Robert Cooze

EMB wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
>> *both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
>> configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
>> that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file. But maybe
>> that IS the way it works. I'd check.

> That is the way it works. And it works well for me. My only thought is
> what version is being run - I had various randomly occurring issues with
> 1.4.8 but 1.4.9 seems stable.

I am running 1.4.9 I had no problems with 1.4.8

>> Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
>> real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
>> to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
>> requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.

> IPCop acts only as a DNS proxy, but checks entries from it's hosts files
> before it does an external lookup.

I use the hosts file in Ip cop to tell the computers on my network where
everything is on my network as I guess that was the design of it all.

Robert Cooze

EMB wrote:
> Robert Cooze wrote:
>
>> Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results. Now I know I
>> could wipe the probermatic partition and re load windows XP and It
>> will be fixed but I don't realy have the time.
>>

> MAybe this?
>
> http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/dns_ca...e_neg_cache%3E

Now that sounds promersing I have also tracked down a program called
WinsockXPFix.exe now the perplexing thing is the computer seems to run
ok from a start up or a change of users only after a long length of time
sitting loged in but not being used it seems to stop working I am trying
this program first. going to give it a few days to see if It has fixed
anything.

EMB

Robert Cooze wrote:

> Now that sounds promersing I have also tracked down a program called
> WinsockXPFix.exe now the perplexing thing is the computer seems to run
> ok from a start up or a change of users only after a long length of time
> sitting loged in but not being used it seems to stop working I am trying
> this program first. going to give it a few days to see if It has fixed
> anything.

Can I also suggest that you ask in the IPCop support forums - there's a
fair chance of you getting a useful reply there.

--
EMB