Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Keyboard Sizes

Keyboard Sizes

Harry

Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
a size that is appropriate for your foot.
Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.

But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.

You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
with the same key spacing and key sizes.

Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
geniuses in the world who can design the most
convoluted and grandiose computers and software
(like the very elegant PC bus design and the
equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.

For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
something quite obvious.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
>of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
>angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
>wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
>something quite obvious.

Instead of depending on Microsoft, I just Googled "different sized
keyboards", and the very first hit was this:
<http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/reference/tech/altkey.html>.

There were a few other likely-looking hits on the first page, but I'll
leave you to pursue them...

The Other Guy

Harry wrote:
> Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
> a size that is appropriate for your foot.
> Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
>
> But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
> one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
> your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
> you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
>
> You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
> with the same key spacing and key sizes.
>
> Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
> geniuses in the world who can design the most
> convoluted and grandiose computers and software
> (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
> equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
> haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
> hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
>
> For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
> of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
> angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
> wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
> something quite obvious.

For me there is only one keyboard... the original MS Natural, which
Microsoft hasn't sold since around 1997 when it was replaced with the
inferior 'Elite' model. I don't care that this keyboard is large, it has
the correct orientations of the 'arrow' keys, and most importantly does
_not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
installed to use.

I shall continue to use my two, and seek 'new' ones until they die, I
can no longer find replacements, or someone finally comes out with a
suitable replacement.

And while I'm commenting, 'Java' and 'elegant' do not go together in the
same sentence. My vote is for C.

The Other Guy

Squirrel

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:50:07 +1300, The Other Guy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Harry wrote:
>> Why is it that when you buy socks you get to choose
>> a size that is appropriate for your foot.
>> Or if you buy gloves you get to choose a size.
>>
>> But if you buy a keyboard you are stuck with a
>> one-size-fits-all policy. No matter how big and fat
>> your fingers are, or how petite your hands might be,
>> you have to use the same size keyboard as everyone else.
>>
>> You can be a midget or a giant but you have to cope
>> with the same key spacing and key sizes.
>>
>> Why is it that with so many oh-so-clever computer
>> geniuses in the world who can design the most
>> convoluted and grandiose computers and software
>> (like the very elegant PC bus design and the
>> equally elegant HTML/XML/css/Java* mixture) they
>> haven't yet managed to elevate themselves to the
>> hallowed level of sock or glove manufacturers.
>>
>> For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
>> of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
>> angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
>> wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
>> something quite obvious.
>>

>For me there is only one keyboard... the original MS Natural, which
>Microsoft hasn't sold since around 1997 when it was replaced with the
>inferior 'Elite' model. I don't care that this keyboard is large, it has
>the correct orientations of the 'arrow' keys, and most importantly does
>_not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
>installed to use.
>
>I shall continue to use my two, and seek 'new' ones until they die, I
>can no longer find replacements, or someone finally comes out with a
>suitable replacement.
>
>And while I'm commenting, 'Java' and 'elegant' do not go together in the
>same sentence. My vote is for C.
>
>The Other Guy

I got a big black flash one with my new pc, bells and whistles I never
used, got a real simple one now but still a few xtra buttons, I never
use them but Muggle does, I am often middway when she leaps on the KB
and I find myself rebooting or similar, real hassle.

Squirrel

I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>...and most importantly does
>_not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
>installed to use.

You mean it _does_ have additional keys you _do_ require software
installed to use?

Pleb Plebian

<snip>
> I got a big black flash one with my new pc, bells and whistles I never
> used, got a real simple one now but still a few xtra buttons, I never
> use them but Muggle does, I am often middway when she leaps on the KB
> and I find myself rebooting or similar, real hassle.
>

> Squirrel
>

> I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

My present fave(s): either an original IBM XT keyboard (aaahh: _very_
tactile - and have remapped the left <alt> to a <windows> key under Win98SE)
-or USB RF (cordless) keyboard that has a full-sized QWERTY but compressed
numkeys/home/arrow-pad: works brilliantly as a literal 'laptop' keyboard:
everythings there, can type with one hand if necessary, but for 'real' WP is
big enough for 2 hands also..
Best of both worlds.
Nothing makes up for my cr*p typing tho!

Cheers
-P

The Other Guy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ...and most importantly does
>> _not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
>> installed to use.

> You mean it _does_ have additional keys you _do_ require software
> installed to use?

That should be "...does not have any additional keys/buttons I require
software installed to use."

The Other Guy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <435b26ee$(E-Mail Removed)>, The Other Guy wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> ...and most importantly does
>>> _not_ have any additional keys/buttons I don't require software
>>> installed to use.

>> You mean it _does_ have additional keys you _do_ require software
>> installed to use?

> That should be "...does not have any additional keys/buttons I require
> software installed to use."

Don't nobody tell me I ain't got too many double negatives.

Harry

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
>>of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
>>angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
>>wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
>>something quite obvious.

> Instead of depending on Microsoft, I just Googled "different sized
> keyboards", and the very first hit was this:
> <http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/reference/tech/altkey.html>.
>
> There were a few other likely-looking hits on the first page, but I'll
> leave you to pursue them...

Your reference doesn't seem very helpful.
It is mostly about software aids with one or two oblique
references to alternate keyboards.

Perhaps you misunderstood the point of my post.

Keyboards should be readily available in sizes
to match ones hands.

They aren't. But a lot of effort has been put into
designing new features into keyboards ... overlooking
the most obvious necessary feature.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Harry wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>For example, Microsoft has produced all sorts
>>>of keyboards - lots of extra buttons, funny
>>>angles, rounded corners, more flimsy keys,
>>>wireless, etc - but has still managed to miss
>>>something quite obvious.

>> Instead of depending on Microsoft, I just Googled "different sized
>> keyboards", and the very first hit was this:
>> <http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/reference/tech/altkey.html>.
>>
>> There were a few other likely-looking hits on the first page, but I'll
>> leave you to pursue them...

> Your reference doesn't seem very helpful.
> It is mostly about software aids with one or two oblique
> references to alternate keyboards.

Quickly revisiting that article and looking for links to actual keyboard
hardware, it mentions:

* Big Keys -- standard size computer keyboards with very large keys
* Comfort Keyboards by Solutions for Humans
* DataHand Ergonomic Keyboard by DataHand Systems, Inc.
* Dicover Board from Don Johnston
* FlexiBoard - customizable alternative keyboard.
* Datalux offers a variety of alternative and reduced sized keyboards.
* Fentek Systems -- key caps, key labels, "Happy Hacking Mini Keyboard,"
"Mini TouchPad Keyboard," "Mini Keyboard with full size keys," or "Mini
Keyboard with full size keys and built in TouchPad/" ; also a "Left Handed
Keyboard/modular keyboard" and other keyboard related products.

etc, etc, etc. (Check the original article for the actual links.)

A bit more than "one or two oblique references", don't you think?