Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Even cheaper new PC

Even cheaper new PC

GraB

I see in the latest KMart flier a PC for $799. It comes with XP Home,
Enc Brittanica, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD, combo drive, 17" CRT monitor.
The processor is the VIA 2000 (796MHz).

Would be interesting to see how they go. At least the integrated
graphics would be better than the Intel in the Dells.

GraB

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:49:26 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I see in the latest KMart flier a PC for $799. It comes with XP Home,
>Enc Brittanica, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD, combo drive, 17" CRT monitor.
>The processor is the VIA 2000 (796MHz).
>
>Would be interesting to see how they go. At least the integrated
>graphics would be better than the Intel in the Dells.

Also a Lexmark printer.

Shane

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:49:26 +1300, GraB wrote:

> I see in the latest KMart flier a PC for $799. It comes with XP Home,
> Enc Brittanica, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD, combo drive, 17" CRT monitor.
> The processor is the VIA 2000 (796MHz).
>
> Would be interesting to see how they go. At least the integrated
> graphics would be better than the Intel in the Dells.

Its not that good of a deal though.. only 800 MHz..
You can get a laptop for 2-300 more
http://dse.resultspage.com/search.ph...G0000971&srt=0
http://tinyurl.com/9df3p

news.xtra.co.nz

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:49:26 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I see in the latest KMart flier a PC for $799. It comes with XP Home,
>>Enc Brittanica, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD, combo drive, 17" CRT monitor.
>>The processor is the VIA 2000 (796MHz).
>>
>>Would be interesting to see how they go. At least the integrated
>>graphics would be better than the Intel in the Dells.

> Also a Lexmark printer.

remarkeable how cheap printers are these days - although you pay for the ink

Gordon

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:58:51 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> remarkeable how cheap printers are these days - although you pay for the ink

remakable how cell phones are these days, or in the past, but yoy pay for
the call time.

get 'em hooked and then attack the wallet.

Daniel

GraB wrote:
> I see in the latest KMart flier a PC for $799. It comes with XP Home,
> Enc Brittanica, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD, combo drive, 17" CRT monitor.
> The processor is the VIA 2000 (796MHz).

The DSE Scoop 2400 has the same specs, except it has a DVD writer, and
has the much (much) faster Athlon core for $797.

> Would be interesting to see how they go. At least the integrated
> graphics would be better than the Intel in the Dells.

Actually, the Intel integrated gfx (815 or 915 variants) are okay (for
integrated gfx), and I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) would blow
the VIA chipset away.
The 3 quickest integrated gfx chipsets are made by ATI, NVIDIA, and
Intel. AFAIK - none of them make a CPU chipset for the VIA 2000, or any
other VIA CPU.
Also, the Scoop 2400 has a dedicated external gfx slot (AGP). From one
what I've seen of the proprietry VIA EPIA CPU motherboards - I'm
assuming it's one of those, none of them have an AGP or PCI-e slot.
Although you can get PCI gfx cards of course.

GraB

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:51:28 +1300, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> I see in the latest KMart flier a PC for $799. It comes with XP Home,
>> Enc Brittanica, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD, combo drive, 17" CRT monitor.
>> The processor is the VIA 2000 (796MHz).
>>

>The DSE Scoop 2400 has the same specs, except it has a DVD writer, and
>has the much (much) faster Athlon core for $797.
>

>> Would be interesting to see how they go. At least the integrated
>> graphics would be better than the Intel in the Dells.

>Actually, the Intel integrated gfx (815 or 915 variants) are okay (for
>integrated gfx), and I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) would blow
>the VIA chipset away.
>The 3 quickest integrated gfx chipsets are made by ATI, NVIDIA, and
>Intel. AFAIK - none of them make a CPU chipset for the VIA 2000, or any
>other VIA CPU.
>Also, the Scoop 2400 has a dedicated external gfx slot (AGP). From one
>what I've seen of the proprietry VIA EPIA CPU motherboards - I'm
>assuming it's one of those, none of them have an AGP or PCI-e slot.
>Although you can get PCI gfx cards of course.

Does the DSE one come with an OS?

In my experience with Intel graphics chipsets the picture quality
doesn't compare as well with intregrated VIA or other video chipsets.
Also I believe the VIA graphics chipset has hardware DVD decoding
built in which independent tests rate as almost as good as ATI.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...-series/cn400/

There is support in the chipset for AGP 8x.

Daniel

GraB wrote:

> Does the DSE one come with an OS?

Yes. Windows XP Home.

> In my experience with Intel graphics chipsets the picture quality
> doesn't compare as well with intregrated VIA or other video chipsets.
> Also I believe the VIA graphics chipset has hardware DVD decoding
> built in which independent tests rate as almost as good as ATI.
>
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...-series/cn400/

Interesting to know about the integrated MPEG-2 decoder. I had a look at
a xbit labs round up of integrated gfx chipsets at:-
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chi...s-roundup.html
and the VIA chipset did well in DVD playback, and came first in MPEG-4
playback.

To be honest, I've never seen decent image quality from an integrated
gfx chipset - I always recommend a dedicated gfx card if the budget
allows just for the image quality alone.
In the above link, xbit does a 2D image quality test, and both the VIA
and SiS chipsets finish at the bottom - for what it's worth.

The Scoop m/b uses an SiS 741GX chipset, which also happens to be
included in the xbit review.

> There is support in the chipset for AGP 8x.

But no actual AGP slot?

I wonder if they're selling the VIA EPIA 800? (since it's an 800MHz CPU).

If so, here's a review:-
http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.ph...howpage&pid=17

Based on those performance figures, it barely keeps up with a Pentium II
@ 400MHz.

I might pop into K-mart just to see one for myself - kinda curious now.

PAM.

> get 'em hooked and then attack the wallet.

It's a wonder Ford don't give their cars away and hook people in on the
parts deal.

PAM.

Evil Bastard

PAM. wrote:
> It's a wonder Ford don't give their cars away and hook people in on the
> parts deal.

If cars fell under the same intellectual property regime as computer
hardware and (proprietary) software does in the USA, with patents, DMCA
and other junk laws, they'd be doing exactly that.

It would be illegal for anyone to touch anything under the car's bonnet,
unless they happen to be a legally licensed service representative. And
of course, recycling parts from wreckers or using compatibles from Repco
would be illegal as well.

--
Cheers
EB