Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open-Source Innovation

Open-Source Innovation

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

While Microsoft is still playing catch-up to Firefox with its
yet-to-be-released Internet Explorer 7, the Open Source world continues to
leap ahead...

The latest news on the browser front is Flock
<http://news.com.com/New+browser+gives+taste+of+Web+2.0/2100-1046_3-5905922.html>,
which takes a radically different approach to how you work with the Web.
Instead of personal bookmarks, it hooks into the del.icio.us
bookmark-sharing service. It has integrated support for both RSS and
blogging, as well as the Flickr photo-sharing service.

And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead of having
to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they could get
to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the existing
work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.

Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

Impossible

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
message news:djburm$d60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> While Microsoft is still playing catch-up to Firefox with its
> yet-to-be-released Internet Explorer 7, the Open Source world
> continues to
> leap ahead...
>
> The latest news on the browser front is Flock
> <http://news.com.com/New+browser+gives+taste+of+Web+2.0/2100-1046_3-5905922.html>,
> which takes a radically different approach to how you work with the
> Web.
> Instead of personal bookmarks, it hooks into the del.icio.us
> bookmark-sharing service. It has integrated support for both RSS and
> blogging, as well as the Flickr photo-sharing service.
>
> And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead of
> having
> to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they
> could get
> to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the
> existing
> work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.
>
> Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press releases
issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an objective
basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's only available
now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost anything sight
unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded the source code
and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

Shane

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:50 -0400, Impossible wrote:

> Have you actually downloaded the source code
> and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

Binaries
Linux
http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...0.4.9&os=linux
Mac
http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
Windows
http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win

Source
GPL'd code
http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-gpl
MPL'd code
http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-mpl

HTH

shannon

Impossible wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> message news:djburm$d60$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>While Microsoft is still playing catch-up to Firefox with its
>>yet-to-be-released Internet Explorer 7, the Open Source world
>>continues to
>>leap ahead...
>>
>>The latest news on the browser front is Flock
>><http://news.com.com/New+browser+gives+taste+of+Web+2.0/2100-1046_3-5905922.html>,
>>which takes a radically different approach to how you work with the
>>Web.
>>Instead of personal bookmarks, it hooks into the del.icio.us
>>bookmark-sharing service. It has integrated support for both RSS and
>>blogging, as well as the Flickr photo-sharing service.
>>
>>And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead of
>>having
>>to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they
>>could get
>>to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the
>>existing
>>work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.
>>
>>Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

> Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press releases
> issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an objective
> basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's only available
> now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost anything sight
> unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded the source code
> and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?
There is a Windows binary available.

Firefox with the Sage extension is good for RSS.
I like that approach better, maybe their functionality will be released
as extensions.

Impossible

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:50 -0400, Impossible wrote:
>
>> Have you actually downloaded the source code
>> and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

> Binaries
> Linux
> http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...0.4.9&os=linux
> Mac
> http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
> Windows
> http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win
>
> Source
> GPL'd code
> http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-gpl
> MPL'd code
> http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-mpl

The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm interested
in.

shannon

Impossible wrote:
> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
>
>>On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:50 -0400, Impossible wrote:
>>

>>>Have you actually downloaded the source code
>>>and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

>>Binaries
>>Linux
>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...0.4.9&os=linux
>>Mac
>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
>>Windows
>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win
>>
>>Source
>>GPL'd code
>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-gpl
>>MPL'd code
>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-mpl
>>

> The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm interested
> in.

Why would you rather trust someone elses opinion

Impossible

"shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Impossible wrote:
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>> message news:djburm$d60$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>While Microsoft is still playing catch-up to Firefox with its
>>>yet-to-be-released Internet Explorer 7, the Open Source world
>>>continues to
>>>leap ahead...
>>>
>>>The latest news on the browser front is Flock
>>><http://news.com.com/New+browser+gives+taste+of+Web+2.0/2100-1046_3-5905922.html>,
>>>which takes a radically different approach to how you work with the
>>>Web.
>>>Instead of personal bookmarks, it hooks into the del.icio.us
>>>bookmark-sharing service. It has integrated support for both RSS
>>>and
>>>blogging, as well as the Flickr photo-sharing service.
>>>
>>>And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead
>>>of having
>>>to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they
>>>could get
>>>to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the
>>>existing
>>>work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.
>>>
>>>Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

>> Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press
>> releases issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an
>> objective basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's
>> only available now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost
>> anything sight unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded
>> the source code and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

> Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
> Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?

I don't need either, but a developer might -- which is why the Flock
site makes these available, I presume.

> There is a Windows binary available.

Not from Flock, who warn:

"We are building on top of the Mozilla platform, which we believe to
be a very secure foundation. However, you should know that we have not
yet done a full security audit and there are likely security
vulnerabilities that we have created and have not discovered. The
current Developer Preview of Flock is aimed at developers, and we do
not recommend that you use it as your primary browser just yet."
(http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php)

Just so you know.

> Firefox with the Sage extension is good for RSS.
> I like that approach better, maybe their functionality will be
> released as extensions.

Shane

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:48:18 -0400, Impossible wrote:

> "shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Impossible wrote:
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> message news:djburm$d60$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press
>>> releases issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an
>>> objective basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's
>>> only available now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost
>>> anything sight unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded
>>> the source code and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

>> Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
>> Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?

> I don't need either, but a developer might -- which is why the Flock
> site makes these available, I presume.
>
>> There is a Windows binary available.

> Not from Flock, who warn:
>
> "We are building on top of the Mozilla platform, which we believe to
> be a very secure foundation. However, you should know that we have not
> yet done a full security audit and there are likely security
> vulnerabilities that we have created and have not discovered. The
> current Developer Preview of Flock is aimed at developers, and we do
> not recommend that you use it as your primary browser just yet."
> (http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php)
>
> Just so you know.

Bugger..you mean I have to use one of my other browsers for a primary
browser.. just because this ones been marked...
"Developer Preview Download"
Gosh darn.. I thought that meant final release :\

Impossible

"shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4359a841$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Impossible wrote:
>> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...

>>>Binaries
>>>Linux
>>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...0.4.9&os=linux
>>>Mac
>>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
>>>Windows
>>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win
>>>
>>>Source
>>>GPL'd code
>>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-gpl
>>>MPL'd code
>>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=...urce-0.4.9-mpl
>>>

>> The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm
>> interested in.

> Why would you rather trust someone elses opinion

Because I can't be bothered trialing untested software written by an
unproven bunch of coders.

shannon

Impossible wrote:
> "shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Impossible wrote:
>>
>>>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>>message news:djburm$d60$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press
>>>releases issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an
>>>objective basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's
>>>only available now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost
>>>anything sight unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded
>>>the source code and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

>>Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
>>Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?

> I don't need either, but a developer might -- which is why the Flock
> site makes these available, I presume.
>

>>There is a Windows binary available.

> Not from Flock, who warn:
>
> "We are building on top of the Mozilla platform, which we believe to
> be a very secure foundation. However, you should know that we have not
> yet done a full security audit and there are likely security
> vulnerabilities that we have created and have not discovered. The
> current Developer Preview of Flock is aimed at developers, and we do
> not recommend that you use it as your primary browser just yet."
> (http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php)
>
> Just so you know.

Ooooooooooooh Scary !!!

You really didn't choose your nick on a whim did you ?