Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New PC - no video - no bios messages

New PC - no video - no bios messages

Dumbkiwi

Just bought a new box - unfortunately I've left the technical specs at
work, but can't get it to display anything on the monitor (using the
onboard video), and hence no bios messages. Also, with the keyboard
plugged in, the keyboard lights don't flash when the power is turned on.
HOwever, the machine does power up - all fans are running, and if I plug
in an ethernet cable to the onboard and pci ethernet inputs, I get lights.

I don't know a huge amount about hardware, but if the onboard vidoe is
shot, will that prevent the motherboard working properly? Would it
prevent the keyboard kicking into life?

Is there any other diagnosis I should do? or have I bought a boat anchor
that should be returned for corrective maintenance?

Matt

Rob J

says...
> Just bought a new box - unfortunately I've left the technical specs at
> work, but can't get it to display anything on the monitor (using the
> onboard video), and hence no bios messages. Also, with the keyboard
> plugged in, the keyboard lights don't flash when the power is turned on.
> HOwever, the machine does power up - all fans are running, and if I plug
> in an ethernet cable to the onboard and pci ethernet inputs, I get lights.

All it means is there is power, nothing else.

More than likely there is a problem with the CPU, memory or some
critical onboard component that means it does not even get to the POST.\

Ethernet uses separate chips that have probably initialised with power,
you can get lights even when the rest of the PC is off so it means
little.

> I don't know a huge amount about hardware, but if the onboard vidoe is
> shot, will that prevent the motherboard working properly? Would it
> prevent the keyboard kicking into life?

No, to get things like beeps or messages on screen needs some basic
things like a working CPU.

If the CPU is unable to start you will not get anything appearing to
happen at all.

> Is there any other diagnosis I should do? or have I bought a boat anchor
> that should be returned for corrective maintenance?

Send it back.

andrew

Rob J wrote:
> says...
>
>>Just bought a new box - unfortunately I've left the technical specs at
>>work, but can't get it to display anything on the monitor (using the
>>onboard video), and hence no bios messages. Also, with the keyboard
>>plugged in, the keyboard lights don't flash when the power is turned on.
>>HOwever, the machine does power up - all fans are running, and if I plug
>>in an ethernet cable to the onboard and pci ethernet inputs, I get lights.

> All it means is there is power, nothing else.
>
> More than likely there is a problem with the CPU, memory or some
> critical onboard component that means it does not even get to the POST.\
>
> Ethernet uses separate chips that have probably initialised with power,
> you can get lights even when the rest of the PC is off so it means
> little.
>

>>I don't know a huge amount about hardware, but if the onboard vidoe is
>>shot, will that prevent the motherboard working properly? Would it
>>prevent the keyboard kicking into life?

> No, to get things like beeps or messages on screen needs some basic
> things like a working CPU.
>
> If the CPU is unable to start you will not get anything appearing to
> happen at all.
>

>>Is there any other diagnosis I should do? or have I bought a boat anchor
>>that should be returned for corrective maintenance?

> Send it back.

I agree, it's probably hosed. Sometimes the motherboard will tell you
what is wrong by lighting up certain LEDs. It can do this even before
the BIOS POST starts - if you have the manual for the motherboard you
may find the problem, but its probably best just to send it back to
where you got it and let them sort it out.

Andrew