Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Internet plans for schools

Internet plans for schools

SchoolTech

The Ministry of Education is suggesting all schools should go to true
flat rate broadband internet so they don't get unexpected bills for
extra traffic.

We are on a Paradise cable plan (Christchurch) that has 512Kbps speed,
a cap of only 1 GB and it costs $80. At the moment we are paying
another $140 a month for up to another GB of data over the cap.

Paradise says there are no other plans of this type except we can have
5 GB for $277.

On the Telstra website they have a few options:

* Clear.net high speed internet.
Plan Type Monthly Fee Speed (Download/Upload)
Monthly Volume Additional MB's Monthly Router/Modem Fee
Installation Fee
256K $99 256K/256K Unlimited n/a n/a $125

a little slow but it appears to be true flat rate.

* High speed internet - access (ADSL)

Business HighSpeed 10G Flat-Rate 10 GB Flat-Rate1 1 Mbps
128 kbps $149.95 NA Price includes ISP Services
Throttle-on-cap to 64kbps

This looks like a reasonable one with the amount of data we are
currently moving although it looks like this will increase
significantly next year. Also it is only 128kbps upstream.

At this stage though it doesn't look as though any of this can compete
with Telecom's SchoolZone prices which include calling points
discounts. These are ADSL of course.

We want to keep the Telstra cable if possible since otherwise we will
have to change all our phone lines over to Telecom as well, but it
looks like Telstra are not very interested in the market for schools.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:36:33 +1300 when I remembered SchoolTech

>At this stage though it doesn't look as though any of this can compete
>with Telecom's SchoolZone prices which include calling points
>discounts. These are ADSL of course.

I worked for one of the schools that was part of the first SchoolZone
trial before it was really known as SchoolZone. I looked at
alternatives, but from what I saw it was about $50 an hour to link
into the SchoolZone VPN to do Video conferencing, which is just far
too expensive.

SchoolZone's internet access is also managed and filtered which is
good. It isn't however a full internet access. It's more WWW/FTP &
Video conferencing. Don't expect programs that use ports other than
say 80, 450, 21 and the video conferencing ports to work.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

thingy

SchoolTech wrote:
> The Ministry of Education is suggesting all schools should go to true
> flat rate broadband internet so they don't get unexpected bills for
> extra traffic.
>
> We are on a Paradise cable plan (Christchurch) that has 512Kbps speed,
> a cap of only 1 GB and it costs $80. At the moment we are paying
> another $140 a month for up to another GB of data over the cap.
>
> Paradise says there are no other plans of this type except we can have
> 5 GB for $277.
>
> On the Telstra website they have a few options:
>
> * Clear.net high speed internet.
> Plan Type Monthly Fee Speed (Download/Upload)
> Monthly Volume Additional MB's Monthly Router/Modem Fee
> Installation Fee
> 256K $99 256K/256K Unlimited n/a n/a $125
>
> a little slow but it appears to be true flat rate.

256k unlimited covers a lot of volume, with a proxy server that should
be enough for a school.

Your existing cable plan seems expensive, mines $57 a month for 256k and
10 gig.....

regards

Thing

Matt

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 256k unlimited covers a lot of volume, with a proxy server that should be
> enough for a school.
>
> Your existing cable plan seems expensive, mines $57 a month for 256k and
> 10 gig.....

I dont think we could handle 256k, my school is currently on a 2Mbit
connection, filterted by watchdog, with a 15GB cap. We were on a 5GB cap
full rate but was exceeding this regulary.
We also run a squid proxy and Gaia print charger for internet
charging/limiting.
We have 200 PC's and Mac's on the network (~750 students) with around 30+
accessing at any one time.

We are paying $370pm incl Static IP, webhosting, MX and content filtering.
We are looking at local Airnet options which would reduce the monthly
charges.

Matt

Bling Bling

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:36:33 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:

> We are on a Paradise cable plan (Christchurch) that has 512Kbps speed,
> a cap of only 1 GB and it costs $80. At the moment we are paying
> another $140 a month for up to another GB of data over the cap.
>
> Paradise says there are no other plans of this type except we can have
> 5 GB for $277.

You are being seriously ripped off - both for speed and data cap!

Check out Orcon's prices. Still expensive in comparison to overseas
prices, but much better than what you've mentioned above.

Bling Bling

--
Free Open Source software - it's not just about better code, as important as
that is. It's about better values, higher ethics.