Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD writers. What to buy?

DVD writers. What to buy?

Daver

If you want full DVD Ram support you can't go past LG. The GSA-4167BB can be
had for around $90

news:4356f80b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
> hardware world.
>
> I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
>
> Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
> elsewhere.
>
> That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the

currently
> available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and have always
> liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the DVD writing
> side of things.
>
> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> ~misfit~

kriskirk@hotmail.com

Speaking of software, if you want to copy DVD's then download DVD
Shrink. It's free and one of the best pieces of software I've come
across.

XP

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:30:41 +1300, "Daver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want full DVD Ram support you can't go past LG. The GSA-4167BB can be
>had for around $90

If you want FULL DVD-RAM backup do not get a LG as it only supports single
sided and No cartridge...

>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4356f80b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
>> hardware world.
>>
>> I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
>>
>> Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the

>currently
>> available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and have always
>> liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the DVD writing
>> side of things.
>>
>> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

Brendan

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:19:37 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
> I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

I got the LG 4163b and it goes fine. Seems to do good quality burns, and
has hacked firmware (something you would want too - gets around region
locking, etc).

They could update the official firmware more often though. But it works
fine with dvd media purchased at the warehouse, etc. Does -r and +r (and
RW). Does book type (bitsetting) which improves things for copying DVD
movies.

Guess there is a newer model out now though. Read the reviews at cd freaks
etc.

--

.... Brendan

#2999 +(3714)- [X]

<kyourek> There was a 23% drop in temperature.
<nappyjallapy> That's almost 25%!
<kyourek> ... That was one of the most worthless comments I've ever heard.

Note: All my comments are copyright 20/10/2005 8:26:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Krazy Bob

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Speaking of software, if you want to copy DVD's then download DVD
> Shrink. It's free and one of the best pieces of software I've come
> across.

i use any dvd with clone dvd2 works a treat

Peter Huebner

In article <4356f80b$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
> hardware world.
>
> I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
>
> Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
> elsewhere.
>
> That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the currently
> available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and have always
> liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the DVD writing
> side of things.
>
> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
>
> Thanks.

I've a Pioneer dvr108 - it's a great writer, really is. Fan-bloody-
tastic, yet to burn a coaster (skc, tdk, mitsi,verbatim and imation
media) it's very fast to boot. Also had no problems with it reading data
disks, but I find it's a bit flakey reading dvd movies with errors. I've
heard it has problems with games that use Starforce protection (but
then, nobody in their right mind would allow THAT on their machine - I
will boycot all such; people in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* hierarchy
have begun compiling a blacklist) because the Starforce screws with
software at the driver level.

For watching movies I got a LiteOn dvd reader, it just soldiers on
reading errors where the Pioneer gives up. Not that that helps watching
realtime(waiting two minutes for the next frame), but I can get it to
decrypt [bad] dvds to hdd and then watch them from there.

Then again, I seem to recall a thread here recently of somebody being
less than enthralled by the writing capabilities of their LiteOn writer.

-Peter

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <4356f80b$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
> > hardware world.
> >
> > I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
> >
> > Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
> > elsewhere.
> >
> > That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the currently
> > available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and have always
> > liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the DVD writing
> > side of things.
> >
> > Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I've a Pioneer dvr108 - it's a great writer, really is. Fan-bloody-
> tastic, yet to burn a coaster (skc, tdk, mitsi,verbatim and imation
> media) it's very fast to boot. Also had no problems with it reading data
> disks, but I find it's a bit flakey reading dvd movies with errors. I've
> heard it has problems with games that use Starforce protection (but
> then, nobody in their right mind would allow THAT on their machine - I
> will boycot all such; people in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* hierarchy
> have begun compiling a blacklist) because the Starforce screws with
> software at the driver level.
>
> For watching movies I got a LiteOn dvd reader, it just soldiers on
> reading errors where the Pioneer gives up. Not that that helps watching
> realtime(waiting two minutes for the next frame), but I can get it to
> decrypt [bad] dvds to hdd and then watch them from there.
>
> Then again, I seem to recall a thread here recently of somebody being
> less than enthralled by the writing capabilities of their LiteOn writer.

We have Sonys, they are made by Liteon. I had no problems with them -
DRU720A.

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

> This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their
> experience? I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase
> I'll regret.

Thanks again to the very generous members of this group. So, it looks like
Pioneer or LG with a maybe against Asus, Sony/LiteOn, NEC and Benq. Avoid
Gigabyte and Diamond Data. Check reviews about the Pioneer 109 and avoid
Sonic software and download DVDShrink.

Thanks heaps folks, much appreciated.
--
~misfit~

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:19:37 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"

>> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

>This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
>I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

The Samsung TS-H552U is pretty good, they're $99 from
http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsH.php?pp_id=DW00099. I think DVD writers
are at the point where the performance difference between the brands
is a bit like the performance difference between vegemite and marmite.
No matter what you get, odds are it'll work fine for you

And it's nice to back up 4GB worth of data on one disc.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Andrew

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:19:37 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

>> This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
>> I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

> The Samsung TS-H552U is pretty good, they're $99 from
> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsH.php?pp_id=DW00099. I think DVD writers
> are at the point where the performance difference between the brands
> is a bit like the performance difference between vegemite and marmite.
> No matter what you get, odds are it'll work fine for you
>
> And it's nice to back up 4GB worth of data on one disc.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.

I had one of these.. found it terrible, it produced alot of errors on
the same spindle of media that i use with my benq which is wonderful