Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sony DCRDVD602E Capture.

Sony DCRDVD602E Capture.

Mazool

Hello All,

I have a friend who has purchased the Sony DCRDVD602E DVD handycam,
this is the entry level sony DVD camera. It lacks any kind of digital
output so direct capture to a PC is tricky.

Short of purchasing an analogue video capture card and capturing
footage that way. I was thinking of trying to capture directly off the
recorded DVD. I figure seeing there would be little to no copy
protectection/macrovision/whatever on the recorded dvd(rw) it shouldn't
be too difficult.

Is anyone aware of any decent, easy to use (a MUST) software that could
achieve this? I'm aware of DVD ripping suites like Gordian knot etc but
all we need this to do is capture the footage to raw avi or similar so
it can be opened and edited in Windows movie maker (or similar) and it
needs to be relatively straightforward.

Surely someone has the 602e camera and has their own methods for
capture to pc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Mazool

Jasen Betts

["Followup-To:" header set to nz.tech.]
On 2005-10-18, Mazool <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a friend who has purchased the Sony DCRDVD602E DVD handycam,
> this is the entry level sony DVD camera. It lacks any kind of digital
> output so direct capture to a PC is tricky.

it outputs DVDs ..

> Is anyone aware of any decent, easy to use (a MUST) software that could
> achieve this? I'm aware of DVD ripping suites like Gordian knot etc but
> all we need this to do is capture the footage to raw avi or similar so
> it can be opened and edited in Windows movie maker (or similar) and it
> needs to be relatively straightforward.

IIRC dvd data is MPEG, so the main hassle will be opening the DVD to acces
the contents.

Bye.
Jasen

Richard

Mazool wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a friend who has purchased the Sony DCRDVD602E DVD handycam,
> this is the entry level sony DVD camera. It lacks any kind of digital
> output so direct capture to a PC is tricky.
>
> Short of purchasing an analogue video capture card and capturing
> footage that way. I was thinking of trying to capture directly off the
> recorded DVD. I figure seeing there would be little to no copy
> protectection/macrovision/whatever on the recorded dvd(rw) it shouldn't
> be too difficult.

DVD is MPEG, not really suitable for furthur editing.

Get a mini-DV camera if you want to edit on a PC otherwise you will have
multiple generations of artifacts in the resulting product. From what I have
seen off a DVD camera the picture was trash, on par with sky for blockyness.