Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ihug Broadband

ihug Broadband

Craig Shore

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:20:26 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"gimp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dj1uun$o5f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Matthew Poole wrote:
>>> If you're paying $49.95, you probably don't have a data cap, right?

>> bzzzt, caps. i have 2GB/2GB national & international. or is that peak &
>> off-peak... can't remember lol. but definitely a pretty low cap.
>>

>>> I'm tossing up upgrading, but my flatmate will happily chew through a
>>> 10+10 data cap, which is the equivalent price to what we're currently
>>> paying for a 256k connection with no data cap.

>> i will say the reliability and constant speed of bliink lite has been
>> *flawless* for the 10 months i've been on it. i still think it sux they
>> didn't e-mail me about the account changes....
>>

>I rung them about it and they are saying it will take 7-10 days to upgrade
>the speed from 256k to 2Mbps. why so long?

Telecom have to make the change I think, it alters your actual connect speed to
the exchange rather than letting your modem connect at full speed and limiting
the traffic.

colinco

In article Linw says...
> What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
> account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
> the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.

Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars

Linw

colinco wrote:
> In article Linw says...
>
>>What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
>>account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
>>the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
>>

> Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
> wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
> other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars

That's a point that crossed my mind but this imbalance could lead to a
landslide! Perhaps XTRA is strapped for cash and wants the churn fees!!

Matthew Poole

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:40:49 +1300, someone purporting to be colinco didst
scrawl:

> In article Linw says...
>> What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
>> account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
>> the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
>>

> Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
> wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
> other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars

They can't help themselves. Short-term greed overrides any kind of
longer-term financial sense. If it didn't, they would've stopped
advertising Xtra "broadband" several months ago in order to try and reduce
the number of new connections through them. But they didn't, and they're
now left with less than two months to achieve what is effectively an
impossible goal.
As Juha pointed out in ComputerWorld yesterday(?), why would TCL start
selling the regulated bitstream service before Christmas, even if it's
possible, when their doing so could well save Telecom from failing to meet
the wholesale targets? Better to wait a few weeks extra and shaft the
buggers properly.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

David

colinco wrote:
> In article Linw says...
>
>>What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
>>account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
>>the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
>>

> Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
> wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
> other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars

Has anyone else noticed that tv ad, the "Get Broadband" one? It didnt
mention any ISP, or even telecom, that i can remember, it just said at
the end "Contact your ISP for details". Is this the work of telecom
trying to meet that requirement?

Shane

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:40:36 +1300, David wrote:

> colinco wrote:
>> In article Linw says...
>>
>>>What is XTRA's response going to be? Why would anyone prefer an XTRA
>>>account now? For the same price I could change to IHUG and get 8 times
>>>the max speed and 2-4 times the cap.
>>>

>> Isn't Telecom being told by CC that there aren't enough people using
>> wholesale broadband. Why would they drop the price of Xtra until all the
>> other ISPs have Ferraris as company cars

> Has anyone else noticed that tv ad, the "Get Broadband" one? It didnt
> mention any ISP, or even telecom, that i can remember, it just said at
> the end "Contact your ISP for details". Is this the work of telecom
> trying to meet that requirement?

That was my guess (Telecom rustling up broadband business) IIRC at the end
of the ad it says 'or call xtra' or something to that effect, which clears
it up a little