Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dream machine being built

Dream machine being built

Craig Sutton

Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine

Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
this M.B)
2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)

2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata

Case acousticase 6607

Power Supply (undecided)

DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)

ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
ps/2 mouse
3.5 floppy

Dave Doe

In article <divre3$me7$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
>
> Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
> CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
> 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
> this M.B)
> 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)
>
> 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata

As is often the case, your HDD's will be your bottleneck, so... what
about 3 of the above, w' 2 as RAID0 for your boot drive. Slighty hairy,
but bloody fast. Yer gonna backup anyway right?

More RAM could be an option, but you know what yer run, so I'll assume
you've got that right

--
Duncan

JH

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine

I'm building a similiar machine. You can view it here...
http://www.twistedforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6783

Craig Sutton

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Craig Sutton wrote:
> > Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine

> I'm building a similiar machine. You can view it here...
> http://www.twistedforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6783

Damn not working?

MarkH

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:divre3$me7$(E-Mail Removed):

> Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
>
> Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)

Sounds good, Asus with NVidia chipset must be one of the best choices
today.

> CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)

Considering what you are spending anyway you might as well get a 4800.

> 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched
> for this M.B)

Should work well and you could always add another 2GB if you wanted
later.

> 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)

WOW! Now that is expensive.

> 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata
>
> Case acousticase 6607

Hmmm, *quick google*, looks pretty nice.

> Power Supply (undecided)

Get the highest quality, highest wattage one you can find. Your CPU and
video cards will suck the juice hard. This is not the item to save
money on.

> DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)
>
> ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
> ps/2 mouse

Get the Logitech stuff - my MX1000 cordless laser mouse is bloody
fantastic!

> 3.5 floppy

I remember them.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Caught

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:divre3$me7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
>
> Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
> CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)
> 2 gig dual ram Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (this ram very nice and launched for
> this M.B)
> 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)
>
> 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata
>
> Case acousticase 6607
>
> Power Supply (undecided)
>
> DVD Dual Layer (brand model undecided)
>
> ps/2 keyboard (nothing special required)
> ps/2 mouse
> 3.5 floppy

Roughly, how much would a machine like this cost - please?

ardz

"Caught"
wrote in message

> Roughly, how much would a machine like this cost - please?

And can i have 2 please

Caught

"ardz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7MU4f.1080$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Caught"
> wrote in message
>> >

>> Roughly, how much would a machine like this cost - please?
>>

> And can i have 2 please

Sure can - please

gimp

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine
>
> Asus A8N32-SLI premium (latest model)
> CPU Athlon 64 X2 XX00 (speed undecided as yet)

X2 3800+ OC'd to 2.4-2.5 GHz seems to be the trendy thing to do, cheap
and fast, but if $$ is no object you may want to start off at 2.4 with
the 4800+ and go up, more cache too i guess

> 2x 7800GTX graphics card, (brand model undecided)

whoa killer =) what's this going to be used for...? 1600 x 1200 + res..?

> 2x300 gig hd's maxtor maxline III sata

i'd go raptors for speed, but yeah i guess at 74GB they don't have much
space... annoys me how they never brought out a 120GB version of those
sweet drives.

> Power Supply (undecided)

i'd recommend OCZ Modstream (520 version is stable with 2 x 7800GTX). or
the Powerstream, but the Mod has cool modular UV cables

Daniel

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Any suggestions? still undecided on a few components of my new machine

<snip>

Awesome rig!!!

If you're spending that kind of money, tell me your going to get a
decent gaming mouse. Logitech G5 or G7, or at the very least an MX518.
All the CPU and graphics horsepower in the world isn't going to
compensate for a laggy mouse. Unless you have no intention of playing
FPS online of course.

Bang-for-buck in terms of gaming I'd go for the single core Athlon 64
4000 (and no, I don't expect games in the forseeable future to make
significant use of a 2nd core for a couple of reasons).

With that kind of gfx firepower, what monitor are you looking at getting?
Even a 19" monitor would seem to negate the capability of such a system.