Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SATA Drive Slower Than IDE?

SATA Drive Slower Than IDE?

kriskirk@hotmail.com

I have recently upgraded to a SATA HD and I've noticed that in one
situation, it's a lot slower than my IDE drive was.

It's when I'm burning multiple DVD's (using Nero) at the same time from
files on the HD. With my IDE drive, there wasn't any noticeable
difference in duration between burning 2 DVD's simulatenously or just 1
DVD, but with the SATA drive it seems to take twice as long when I'm
doing 2 DVD's at the same time.

My DVD writers are on separate IDE buses so there's no conflict between
them.

Any ideas why the difference in duration with the SATA drive?

Stephen Worthington

On 17 Oct 2005 01:48:20 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have recently upgraded to a SATA HD and I've noticed that in one
>situation, it's a lot slower than my IDE drive was.
>
>It's when I'm burning multiple DVD's (using Nero) at the same time from
>files on the HD. With my IDE drive, there wasn't any noticeable
>difference in duration between burning 2 DVD's simulatenously or just 1
>DVD, but with the SATA drive it seems to take twice as long when I'm
>doing 2 DVD's at the same time.
>
>My DVD writers are on separate IDE buses so there's no conflict between
>them.
>
>Any ideas why the difference in duration with the SATA drive?

Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

Bret

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:56:31 GMT, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On 17 Oct 2005 01:48:20 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have recently upgraded to a SATA HD and I've noticed that in one
>>situation, it's a lot slower than my IDE drive was.
>>
>>It's when I'm burning multiple DVD's (using Nero) at the same time from
>>files on the HD. With my IDE drive, there wasn't any noticeable
>>difference in duration between burning 2 DVD's simulatenously or just 1
>>DVD, but with the SATA drive it seems to take twice as long when I'm
>>doing 2 DVD's at the same time.
>>
>>My DVD writers are on separate IDE buses so there's no conflict between
>>them.
>>
>>Any ideas why the difference in duration with the SATA drive?

>Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
>saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
>motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

Wouldn't it also saturate the PCI buss with an ATA drive?

kriskirk@hotmail.com

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
> saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
> motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

No the SATA interface is on the motherboard.

AD.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:17:48 -0700, kriskirk wrote:

> Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
>> saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
>> motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

> No the SATA interface is on the motherboard.

That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't using the PCI bus.

I'm not up on SATA chipsets (for all I know things are different now -
corrections welcome), but in the recent past nearly all onboard storage
adapters still used PCI to connect to the south bridge chipset. One
exception we had was a dual P3 Tualatin mobo with a ServerWorks chipset -
the onboard LSI SCSI adapter had a direct chipset connection.

Note I'm not saying it does use PCI (hey I'm a little out of date with
hardware), just that just because it is onboard don't automatically assume
it doesn't use the PCI bus

You'll need to look at your motherboard schematic to be sure.

--
Cheers
Anton

kriskirk@hotmail.com

I checked the manual for the motherboard, but I couldn't see anything
that tells me if the SATA interface is using the PCI bus or not. What
am I looking for?

colinco

In article (E-Mail Removed) says...
> I checked the manual for the motherboard, but I couldn't see anything
> that tells me if the SATA interface is using the PCI bus or not. What
> am I looking for?

What MB? Some older boards even fed SATA into bus using an IDE channel.

Richard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I checked the manual for the motherboard, but I couldn't see anything
> that tells me if the SATA interface is using the PCI bus or not. What
> am I looking for?

Is there a seperate driver needed on installation of windows or does it just work?

kriskirk@hotmail.com

The motherboard is a ASUS P5GD1-VM.

kriskirk@hotmail.com

It just worked. The manual says that XP SP1 is required for it to work
though.