Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Update problem - is it just me?

XP Update problem - is it just me?

Kristofer Clayton

On 18 Oct 2005 18:01:41 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks Nathan, but in Windows XP Pro (at least on my PC) there is no
>security tab in the %windir%\registration properties, thus no access to
>permissions settings at that location.

The security tab will show up if you go into the Tools menu, select
Folder Options, on the View Tab, last entry in the Advanced Settings
list 'Use simple file sharing', if you un-tick this you will get
Sharing & Security tabs rather than the basic XP one.

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

shidlov@gmail.com

my problem is not even the security tab i can't log on to windows after
the
update not even in to safe mode with command prompt.
I have a backup hard disk that enable me the option to got to that
folder
but i think if i change the setting they are the setting of backup
system
not the updated one, so i'm realy lost
any ideas how to restore the system or uninstall the update?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Not Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I would appreciate someone explaining to one who does not normally mess
>>with the registry or COM+ specifically how to make the changes
>>described in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909444. In other words,
>>how do I find the "%windir%\registration" folder to make the 5 changes
>>to reset the permissions back to default?

>Take it to a computer shop.

It is very telling of the widespread fundamental security flaws in the
system, is it not, when even the vendor's own attempts at patching the
problems end up causing even worse problems of their own?

And they wonder why we call it "Dimdows" ...

Impossible

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> my problem is not even the security tab i can't log on to windows
> after
> the
> update not even in to safe mode with command prompt.
> I have a backup hard disk that enable me the option to got to that
> folder
> but i think if i change the setting they are the setting of backup
> system
> not the updated one, so i'm realy lost
> any ideas how to restore the system or uninstall the update?

Control Panel...Add or remove programs

Make sure that "show updates" is checked, then select the XP update
you want to uninstall.