Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anybody using IPCOP and DSL?

Anybody using IPCOP and DSL?

El Penguino

I'm using a Dynalink ALE070 USB modem ( on a P166) and having a time
getting the thing to "lock on".

The system logs show the link goes up and down like don brash's
popularity ratings. I've tried a few of the synch.bin files and
rebooted after each one , and some are better than others - before I
run through all 47 of them , anybody having good results with one file
in particular?

Cheers,
Chris

SteveM

El Penguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm using a Dynalink ALE070 USB modem ( on a P166) and having a time
> getting the thing to "lock on".
>
> The system logs show the link goes up and down like don brash's
> popularity ratings. I've tried a few of the synch.bin files and
> rebooted after each one , and some are better than others - before I
> run through all 47 of them , anybody having good results with one file
> in particular?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I'm sure I used Sync03.bin. Some .bin files look like they work, but they
don't, or only half work, letting some traffic through but not others...

SteveM

SteveM

SteveM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns96F18C305EB83sdmccremovemeparadis@203.109. 252.31:

> El Penguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm using a Dynalink ALE070 USB modem ( on a P166) and having a time
>> getting the thing to "lock on".
>>
>> The system logs show the link goes up and down like don brash's
>> popularity ratings. I've tried a few of the synch.bin files and
>> rebooted after each one , and some are better than others - before I
>> run through all 47 of them , anybody having good results with one
>> file in particular?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris

> I'm sure I used Sync03.bin. Some .bin files look like they work, but
> they don't, or only half work, letting some traffic through but not
> others...
>
> SteveM

Sorry forgot to mention...I was using the ALE070 as well.

SteveM

EMB

El Penguino wrote:
> I'm using a Dynalink ALE070 USB modem ( on a P166) and having a time
> getting the thing to "lock on".
>
> The system logs show the link goes up and down like don brash's
> popularity ratings. I've tried a few of the synch.bin files and
> rebooted after each one , and some are better than others - before I
> run through all 47 of them , anybody having good results with one file
> in particular?

Not wishing to be negative and unhelpful, but buy an ethernet ADSL
modem/router and be done with all the USB hassles.

I've got IPCOP running reliably with ethernet ADSL modems in half a
dozen sites, but the one attempt I made with a USB modem was abandoned
after the first fruitless half hour.

--
EMB

El Penguino

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:13:15 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not wishing to be negative and unhelpful, but buy an ethernet ADSL
>modem/router and be done with all the USB hassles.
>
>I've got IPCOP running reliably with ethernet ADSL modems in half a
>dozen sites, but the one attempt I made with a USB modem was abandoned
>after the first fruitless half hour.

Fair enough , I hear what you are saying. Thing is I inheireted a P166
but will have trouble convincing the chancellor of the house that a
new modem is essential cap ex.

Thought I try before I buy, as it were.
Seems some others have it working , so I will plug away.

El Penguino

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:47:47 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I'm sure I used Sync03.bin. Some .bin files look like they work, but
>> they don't, or only half work, letting some traffic through but not
>> others...
>>
>> SteveM
>>

>Sorry forgot to mention...I was using the ALE070 as well.

Thanks, think I am on that one at the mo. When the link is up I get
DNS errors i.e. cant ping by name eg google.co.nz, but usually can by
IP.

What settings would you recommend for the proxy service. Tick enable
on green - tick transparent on green ?

Cheers,
Chris

SteveM

El Penguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:47:47 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>> I'm sure I used Sync03.bin. Some .bin files look like they work, but
>>> they don't, or only half work, letting some traffic through but not
>>> others...
>>>
>>> SteveM
>>>

>>Sorry forgot to mention...I was using the ALE070 as well.

> Thanks, think I am on that one at the mo. When the link is up I get
> DNS errors i.e. cant ping by name eg google.co.nz, but usually can by
> IP.
>
> What settings would you recommend for the proxy service. Tick enable
> on green - tick transparent on green ?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Try Sync05.bin then. That was the sort of problem I was having.....

Proxy, yes tick enable on green and transparent on green.

SteveM

Found this post i wrote At www.nzwireless.org

Yes it is the ALE070.
Took me forever to get it going properly, but IPCop supports most
ECI based USB modems "out of the box". My struggle is your gain!

Proceedure:
Get ISO of IPCop 1.4b3 (36 Megs)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/i...op-1.4.0b3.iso

Get suitable PC box (I'll leave the specs up to you)

Install IPCop. Once up and running on the Green interface, Choose the
Config to be Red on Modem, then Green and Blue and/or Orange.

There is an upload page in the web gui for installing the ECI sync.bin file
for the Dynalink. This file varies from modem to modem, and it was the
selection of this file that caused me the greatest problem as there are 30+
versions to choose from. Every test of a file required a reboot so was a
really painfull process. ANYWAY, the synch.bin file I ended up using is
number synch05.bin.
Synch03.bin only partially works for some strange reason and this got me
confused for some time. (seems synch01 works as well, YMMV)