Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Getting Macs to talk to Samba on Linux

Getting Macs to talk to Samba on Linux

thingy

I just rebuilt my Linux samba server, windows clients connect fine, but
iMacs lock up when I try and connect....

So I am assuming something on the iMacs networking side needs cleaning
out....I am assuming authentication or somethin is corrupt....any ideas?

regards

Thing

thingy

thingy wrote:
> I just rebuilt my Linux samba server, windows clients connect fine, but
> iMacs lock up when I try and connect....
>
> So I am assuming something on the iMacs networking side needs cleaning
> out....I am assuming authentication or somethin is corrupt....any ideas?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Looks like it is a OS x 10.4.2 bug, I put my old mac drive in an ext
firewire case and booted 10.3.9 and it connects perfectly.

Deleted all references to the linux box and smb in keychain, still no
joy.....

Raised a bug report with Apple....

Anybody found a workaround?

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:

> thingy wrote:
>> I just rebuilt my Linux samba server, windows clients connect fine, but
>> iMacs lock up when I try and connect....
>>
>> So I am assuming something on the iMacs networking side needs cleaning
>> out....I am assuming authentication or somethin is corrupt....any ideas?

> Looks like it is a OS x 10.4.2 bug, I put my old mac drive in an ext
> firewire case and booted 10.3.9 and it connects perfectly.
>
> Deleted all references to the linux box and smb in keychain, still no
> joy.....
>
> Raised a bug report with Apple....
>
> Anybody found a workaround?

Would it be tactless to suggest ditching OS X and installing Yellow Dog or
Debian on your Mac?

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:
>

>>thingy wrote:
>>
>>>I just rebuilt my Linux samba server, windows clients connect fine, but
>>>iMacs lock up when I try and connect....
>>>
>>>So I am assuming something on the iMacs networking side needs cleaning
>>>out....I am assuming authentication or somethin is corrupt....any ideas?

>>Looks like it is a OS x 10.4.2 bug, I put my old mac drive in an ext
>>firewire case and booted 10.3.9 and it connects perfectly.
>>
>>Deleted all references to the linux box and smb in keychain, still no
>>joy.....
>>
>>Raised a bug report with Apple....
>>
>>Anybody found a workaround?

> Would it be tactless to suggest ditching OS X and installing Yellow Dog or
> Debian on your Mac?

Yes it would....

OS X has the better interface/desktop. Plus the adobe software is Mac
only, Canon cd labeler software, ical, itunes, imovie, pro-tools (though
we do most of it in audcity)....plus the user is Mac rabid.....(but dont
tell her I said so).

;]

I am going to set up a vnc client on it t a Linux box though....might
get her there one day.

regards

Thing

Old Macs and getting stuff off em Mad as a Box of Frogs Computer Support 17 08-18-2009 05:39 PM
VOIP-Buster nummbers free with Talk-Talk? PavaRodney UK VOIP 4 01-01-2007 12:37 PM
Change to Talk Talk Bob B Wireless Networking 2 08-24-2006 09:19 AM
Skype and Talk Talk Sacred UK VOIP 9 08-01-2006 08:57 PM
Unable to post to talk.origins - but talk.atheism ok Rolf Computer Support 2 04-09-2006 09:48 AM

Advertisments