Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IHUG DNS weirdness

Reply
Thread Tools

IHUG DNS weirdness

 
 
Stu Fleming
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2005
nslookup www.otago.ac.nz 203.109.252.7
Server: 203.109.252.7
Address: 203.109.252.7#53

** server can't find www.otago.ac.nz: REFUSED

Odd. Resolves OK from other DNS servers...
Was broken on Orcon earlier as well....any ideas?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2005
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:46:20 +1300, Stu Fleming wrote:

> nslookup www.otago.ac.nz 203.109.252.7
> Server: 203.109.252.7
> Address: 203.109.252.7#53
>
> ** server can't find www.otago.ac.nz: REFUSED
>
> Odd. Resolves OK from other DNS servers...
> Was broken on Orcon earlier as well....any ideas?


Its not your DNS
ping www.otago.ac.nz
PING www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- www.otago.ac.nz ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7018ms


traceroute www.otago.ac.nz
traceroute to www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 oberon.weasel.is-a-geek.net (192.168.0.1) 2.173 ms 2.617 ms 2.168 ms
2 10.1.1.1 (10.1.1.1) 5.253 ms 5.677 ms 8.431 ms
3 222-153-8-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz (222.153.8.1) 62.693 ms 193.959 ms 76.801 ms
4 222.152.41.217 (222.152.41.217) 107.020 ms 64.823 ms 67.427 ms
5 202.50.245.190 (202.50.245.190) 63.206 ms 66.964 ms 63.843 ms
6 v282.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz (202.50.245.193) 76.452 ms 74.885 ms 63.608 ms
7 * * *
8 * * *


I gave up waiting.. but somethings broke :\

HTH


--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Not Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2005
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:55:55 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
growled these words from under a rock:

>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:46:20 +1300, Stu Fleming wrote:
>
>> nslookup www.otago.ac.nz 203.109.252.7
>> Server: 203.109.252.7
>> Address: 203.109.252.7#53
>>
>> ** server can't find www.otago.ac.nz: REFUSED
>>
>> Odd. Resolves OK from other DNS servers...
>> Was broken on Orcon earlier as well....any ideas?

>
>Its not your DNS
>ping www.otago.ac.nz
>PING www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
>
>--- www.otago.ac.nz ping statistics ---
>8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7018ms
>
>
>traceroute www.otago.ac.nz
>traceroute to www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
> 1 oberon.weasel.is-a-geek.net (192.168.0.1) 2.173 ms 2.617 ms 2.168 ms
> 2 10.1.1.1 (10.1.1.1) 5.253 ms 5.677 ms 8.431 ms
> 3 222-153-8-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz (222.153.8.1) 62.693 ms 193.959 ms 76.801 ms
> 4 222.152.41.217 (222.152.41.217) 107.020 ms 64.823 ms 67.427 ms
> 5 202.50.245.190 (202.50.245.190) 63.206 ms 66.964 ms 63.843 ms
> 6 v282.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz (202.50.245.193) 76.452 ms 74.885 ms 63.608 ms
> 7 * * *
> 8 * * *
>
>
>I gave up waiting.. but somethings broke :\
>

No it's not.

They block both PING and TRACERT requests. It's bloody annoying when
you are trying to troubleshoot networking issues down there.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2005
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:34:49 +1300, Not Dave wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:55:55 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
> growled these words from under a rock:
>
>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:46:20 +1300, Stu Fleming wrote:
>>
>>> nslookup www.otago.ac.nz 203.109.252.7
>>> Server: 203.109.252.7
>>> Address: 203.109.252.7#53
>>>
>>> ** server can't find www.otago.ac.nz: REFUSED
>>>
>>> Odd. Resolves OK from other DNS servers...
>>> Was broken on Orcon earlier as well....any ideas?

>>
>>Its not your DNS
>>ping www.otago.ac.nz
>>PING www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
>>
>>--- www.otago.ac.nz ping statistics ---
>>8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7018ms
>>
>>
>>traceroute www.otago.ac.nz
>>traceroute to www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
>> 1 oberon.weasel.is-a-geek.net (192.168.0.1) 2.173 ms 2.617 ms 2.168 ms
>> 2 10.1.1.1 (10.1.1.1) 5.253 ms 5.677 ms 8.431 ms
>> 3 222-153-8-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz (222.153.8.1) 62.693 ms 193.959 ms 76.801 ms
>> 4 222.152.41.217 (222.152.41.217) 107.020 ms 64.823 ms 67.427 ms
>> 5 202.50.245.190 (202.50.245.190) 63.206 ms 66.964 ms 63.843 ms
>> 6 v282.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz (202.50.245.193) 76.452 ms 74.885 ms 63.608 ms
>> 7 * * *
>> 8 * * *
>>
>>
>>I gave up waiting.. but somethings broke :\
>>

> No it's not.
>
> They block both PING and TRACERT requests. It's bloody annoying when
> you are trying to troubleshoot networking issues down there.


oops.. right you are
telnet www.otago.ac.nz 80
Trying 139.80.64.99...
Connected to www.otago.ac.nz.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

still not a DNS issue though.. else I wouldnt even have the IP
--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Stu Fleming
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2005
Not Dave wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:55:55 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
> growled these words from under a rock:
>
>
>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:46:20 +1300, Stu Fleming wrote:
>>
>>
>>>nslookup www.otago.ac.nz 203.109.252.7
>>>Server: 203.109.252.7
>>>Address: 203.109.252.7#53
>>>
>>>** server can't find www.otago.ac.nz: REFUSED
>>>
>>>Odd. Resolves OK from other DNS servers...
>>>Was broken on Orcon earlier as well....any ideas?

>>
>>Its not your DNS
>>ping www.otago.ac.nz
>>PING www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
>>
>>--- www.otago.ac.nz ping statistics ---
>>8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7018ms
>>
>>
>>traceroute www.otago.ac.nz
>>traceroute to www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
>>1 oberon.weasel.is-a-geek.net (192.168.0.1) 2.173 ms 2.617 ms 2.168 ms
>>2 10.1.1.1 (10.1.1.1) 5.253 ms 5.677 ms 8.431 ms
>>3 222-153-8-1.jetstream.xtra.co.nz (222.153.8.1) 62.693 ms 193.959 ms 76.801 ms
>>4 222.152.41.217 (222.152.41.217) 107.020 ms 64.823 ms 67.427 ms
>>5 202.50.245.190 (202.50.245.190) 63.206 ms 66.964 ms 63.843 ms
>>6 v282.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz (202.50.245.193) 76.452 ms 74.885 ms 63.608 ms
>>7 * * *
>>8 * * *
>>
>>
>>I gave up waiting.. but somethings broke :\
>>

>
> No it's not.
>
> They block both PING and TRACERT requests. It's bloody annoying when
> you are trying to troubleshoot networking issues down there.


The site is up; works OK from Paradise and across my campus gateway. My
guess is the Otago DNS broke and the fix is still propagating...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Robinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2005
Shane wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:34:49 +1300, Not Dave wrote:
>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:55:55 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>>growled these words from under a rock:
>>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:46:20 +1300, Stu Fleming wrote:
>>>>nslookup www.otago.ac.nz 203.109.252.7
>>>>Server: 203.109.252.7
>>>>Address: 203.109.252.7#53
>>>>** server can't find www.otago.ac.nz: REFUSED
>>>>Odd. Resolves OK from other DNS servers...
>>>>Was broken on Orcon earlier as well....any ideas?
>>>Its not your DNS
>>>ping www.otago.ac.nz
>>>PING www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
>>>--- www.otago.ac.nz ping statistics ---
>>>8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7018ms
>>>traceroute www.otago.ac.nz
>>>traceroute to www.otago.ac.nz (139.80.64.99), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
>>>I gave up waiting.. but somethings broke :\

>>No it's not.
>>They block both PING and TRACERT requests. It's bloody annoying when
>>you are trying to troubleshoot networking issues down there.

> oops.. right you are
> telnet www.otago.ac.nz 80
> Trying 139.80.64.99...
> Connected to www.otago.ac.nz.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.


gotta be a bit careful using this technique ...

If your isp operates a 'transparent proxy' you'll see the proxy rather than the real host.
Paradise do this and it is a complete pain, especially when their proxy goes opaque and
they can't figure it out. For days. Hence the thread "Paradise not connecting to some web
sites" above.

> still not a DNS issue though.. else I wouldnt even have the IP

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: The name IHUG is now long gone - hardly surprising that Vodafone has dropped the ihug internet name. Dave Doe NZ Computing 5 04-11-2008 06:46 PM
Re: The name IHUG is now long gone - hardly surprising that Vodafone has dropped the ihug internet name. Katipo NZ Computing 2 04-10-2008 09:52 PM
Can someone provide me with IHUG's DNS server addys plz. Peter H. NZ Computing 2 05-23-2007 08:52 AM
ihug website wont go for some ihug customers...... iascoot NZ Computing 5 08-11-2006 09:53 AM
Tkinter WEIRDNESS or Python WEIRDNESS? steve Python 4 03-13-2005 12:34 AM



Advertisments