Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP update problem

XP update problem

PC

Greetings all

I have a Brother Ptouch QL-550 label printer attached to my XP Pro SP2
machine.
Windows update tells me there is an update available for it and it is
downloaded & ready to go.

Problem: it always fails to install with the Error Code: 0x80070020.
As suggested by KB883825 I have disabled (in fact uninstalled) my Anti Virus
but the install still fails.

I have not been able to find the update in Update Catalog and don't know
where the downloaded update is 'hidden' in order to try installing it in
safe mode.

Can anyone advise what to do?

Regards
Paul.

XP

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:45:55 +1300, "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings all
>
>I have a Brother Ptouch QL-550 label printer attached to my XP Pro SP2
>machine.
>Windows update tells me there is an update available for it and it is
>downloaded & ready to go.
>
>Problem: it always fails to install with the Error Code: 0x80070020.
>As suggested by KB883825 I have disabled (in fact uninstalled) my Anti Virus
>but the install still fails.
>
>I have not been able to find the update in Update Catalog and don't know
>where the downloaded update is 'hidden' in order to try installing it in
>safe mode.
>
>Can anyone advise what to do?
>
>Regards
>Paul.

Get the Real Update not the MS one as most of the time that are Old..

Nathan Mercer

PC wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I have a Brother Ptouch QL-550 label printer attached to my XP Pro SP2
> machine.
> Windows update tells me there is an update available for it and it is
> downloaded & ready to go.
>
> Problem: it always fails to install with the Error Code: 0x80070020.
> As suggested by KB883825 I have disabled (in fact uninstalled) my Anti Virus
> but the install still fails.
>
> I have not been able to find the update in Update Catalog and don't know
> where the downloaded update is 'hidden' in order to try installing it in
> safe mode.
>
> Can anyone advise what to do?

If its not broken don't fix it
or grab the one from Brother
http://solutions.brother.com/bsc_ph/...2kxp_55drv.htm

PC

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43506db5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PC wrote:
>> Greetings all
>>
>> I have a Brother Ptouch QL-550 label printer attached to my XP Pro SP2
>> machine.
>> Windows update tells me there is an update available for it and it is
>> downloaded & ready to go.
>>
>> Problem: it always fails to install with the Error Code: 0x80070020.
>> As suggested by KB883825 I have disabled (in fact uninstalled) my Anti
>> Virus but the install still fails.
>>
>> I have not been able to find the update in Update Catalog and don't know
>> where the downloaded update is 'hidden' in order to try installing it in
>> safe mode.
>>
>> Can anyone advise what to do?

> If its not broken don't fix it
> or grab the one from Brother
> http://solutions.brother.com/bsc_ph/...2kxp_55drv.htm

Thanks Nathan, but I already have that one installed (Jan 14 05).
Win Update says their one is 26 May 05.

The reason I'm interested is because 'Word' pops up a security warning
saying the Macro(s) associated with the Ptouch has an expired Certificate.
Setting Macro security to 'Low' eliminates the warning but not unnaturally I
would like to return to Medium security without the Security Warning poping
up every time, hence the desire to get the updated driver.

As for signing my own certificate etc.............(big dark
hole.....................)!

Cheers
Paul.

PC

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mbZ3f.477$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings all
>
> I have a Brother Ptouch QL-550 label printer attached to my XP Pro SP2
> machine.
> Windows update tells me there is an update available for it and it is
> downloaded & ready to go.
>
> Problem: it always fails to install with the Error Code: 0x80070020.
> As suggested by KB883825 I have disabled (in fact uninstalled) my Anti
> Virus but the install still fails.
>
> I have not been able to find the update in Update Catalog and don't know
> where the downloaded update is 'hidden' in order to try installing it in
> safe mode.
>
> Can anyone advise what to do?
>
> Regards
> Paul.

Found a page on Brothers website with reference to the Digital Certificate
problem.
Fixed that, well sorta, it wasn't a new certificate as such but I could tick
the Trust ... box which was greyed out before.

Still can't install the Windows update patch so have 'hidden' it.

Would still like to know where Update stores it's downloaded update files
though.

Cheers
Paul.