Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer weirdness Help

Computer weirdness Help

Robin Halligan

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:39:27 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Dungeon Keeper is such a cool game huh? I played it for years and still fire
> it up now and then. Does your wife have the expansion, Deeper Dungeons? It's

We didnąt even know it existed now i have to find a copy

> well worth getting IMO. However, I was very disappointed with DK2, also DK2
> won't run on XP, even though it says on the box and at their website that it

DK2 didnąt have the same feel to it

its interesting how some of the old games still have that appeal i am
looking for a copy of loderunner i love that game and it has (by today's
standards) shitty graphics.

thanks to everyone for there time

--
It
is an

Robin Halligan

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:16:09 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> Can anyone Help?
>>

> I second ~misfit~'s suggestion: dump Win ME. It is just about the worst
> p.i.t.a. ever to come out of Microsoft. One friend put it on his machine
> against better advice and had nothing but trouble for a year (apart from
> ME munching hdd space like a gremlin), other friends bought a 2nd hand
> HP machine and it gave lots of trouble like you describe ... when ME
> finally shat itself I put 98 SE on their machine and it hasn't crashed
> or misbehaved majorly since (heh). Had a couple of other comps here with
> ME and found it has all the weaknesses of '98, plus a whole lot more,
> and no advantage.

Thanks to everyone for the advice i agree that ME is a pos but when she
brought the puter xp was only just released and was not all that stable and
i advised her not to get XP (thinking that she would get 9 but the
salesman convinced her to get ME and i diddnt find that out for a week or
more. i will give serioud thought to killing ME and sticking 98 on it if i
can find 98 compatable drivers for it i did try to upgrade it to 2K but i
couldnt gt the drivers to work.

--
The ultimate Computer The CCTB
Chemical

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:16:09 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >>
> >> Can anyone Help?
> >>

> > I second ~misfit~'s suggestion: dump Win ME. It is just about the worst
> > p.i.t.a. ever to come out of Microsoft. One friend put it on his machine
> > against better advice and had nothing but trouble for a year (apart from
> > ME munching hdd space like a gremlin), other friends bought a 2nd hand
> > HP machine and it gave lots of trouble like you describe ... when ME
> > finally shat itself I put 98 SE on their machine and it hasn't crashed
> > or misbehaved majorly since (heh). Had a couple of other comps here with
> > ME and found it has all the weaknesses of '98, plus a whole lot more,
> > and no advantage.
> >

> Thanks to everyone for the advice i agree that ME is a pos but when she
> brought the puter xp was only just released and was not all that stable and
> i advised her not to get XP (thinking that she would get 9 but the
> salesman convinced her to get ME and i diddnt find that out for a week or
> more. i will give serioud thought to killing ME and sticking 98 on it if i
> can find 98 compatable drivers for it i did try to upgrade it to 2K but i
> couldnt gt the drivers to work.

Which is the hardware that will not work under 2000 (and presume XP)?

Maybe your old scanner/printer/whatever will have to be replaced.

Mercury

> And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
> installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
> remove it before they can provide any help.

more idle speculation from a dribbler...

and who needs support for windows anyway? if a person can get here they
don't need any.

Robin Halligan

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:37:21 +1300, Rob J wrote:

> Which is the hardware that will not work under 2000 (and presume XP)?

I couldnt get the sound to work the audio is onboard the MB and i couldnt
find what drivers to use to get it to go, mind you i was stressed at the
time and haddent had much sleep and this was before i moved in with then GF
so i only had a weekend to get it done or return it to what it had.

--
Rimmer:
It would be like putting your wedding tackle into a lions mouth whilst