Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer weirdness Help

Computer weirdness Help

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net>, Mark Robinson wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:
>>>And?

>> And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
>> installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
>> remove it before they can provide any help.
>> And, the Website says there is no reliable way of removing this service
>> pack. So once you've put it on, you're stuck.

> Support ?
>
> From Microsoft ?
>
> For Win98SE ?
>
> You jest Sir.

I did check my facts before posting
<http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6513> (Wind9,
<http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6898> (Wind98SE).

GraB

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:38:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>>That kind of thing plays fast and loose with Microsoft's licence
>>>agreements.

>> And?

>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
>remove it before they can provide any help.

I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
Machine? (I installed latest available version of IE from magazine
CD, though I never use it, set to ask permission in the firewall).

>And, the Website says there is no reliable way of removing this service
>pack. So once you've put it on, you're stuck.

Where does it say that? It is just a convenient way to have all the
patches in one, like Autopatcher for XP. It also includes
optimisations of some settings that improve performance. It patches
what needs to be patched and some are optional. I know of no reason
why you would want to uninstall it anyway.

Enkidu

GraB wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>

>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:

>>>And?

>>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
>>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
>>remove it before they can provide any help.

> I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
> It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
> have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
> Machine? (I installed latest available version of IE from magazine
> CD, though I never use it, set to ask permission in the firewall).

Win98 is not supported anyway, is it?

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:

>>> And?

>>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
>>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
>>remove it before they can provide any help.

> I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
> It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
> have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
> Machine?

It's all very well for people who, like you, think they know what they're
doing. But most ordinary people have this reasonable expectation that they
can get help from Microsoft if anything goes wrong. But they're not going
to get that help if they've been stuffing around with their system in
unauthorized ways, now will they?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4351fc7d$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu wrote:

> GraB wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
>>>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
>>>remove it before they can provide any help.

>> I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
>> It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
>> have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
>> Machine? (I installed latest available version of IE from magazine
>> CD, though I never use it, set to ask permission in the firewall).
>>

> Win98 is not supported anyway, is it?

Let me repost those links you didn't see the previous time round:
<http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6513> (Wind9,
<http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6898> (Wind98SE).

GraB

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:25:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
>>>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
>>>remove it before they can provide any help.

>> I have never sought help from MS, ever. Support from MS? What?
>> It isn't an issue. Besides, how would they react if they find out I
>> have installed Win98SE with 98Lite, without IE, OE and MS Virtual
>> Machine?

>It's all very well for people who, like you, think they know what they're
>doing.

LOL I do think I know what I am doing.

>But most ordinary people have this reasonable expectation that they
>can get help from Microsoft if anything goes wrong. But they're not going
>to get that help if they've been stuffing around with their system in
>unauthorized ways, now will they?

If they want help with Win98* they would be looking in the wrong
place. I find trying to find answers to problems is the hardest on
the MS website which I think is the worst place for finding help that
I know of. Its hopeless.

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>Win98 is not supported anyway, is it?

> Let me repost those links you didn't see the previous time round:
> <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6513> (Wind9,
> <http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6898> (Wind98SE).

In this thread? No, I must have missed it.

Cheers,

Cliff

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Can anyone Help?

I second ~misfit~'s suggestion: dump Win ME. It is just about the worst
p.i.t.a. ever to come out of Microsoft. One friend put it on his machine
against better advice and had nothing but trouble for a year (apart from
ME munching hdd space like a gremlin), other friends bought a 2nd hand
HP machine and it gave lots of trouble like you describe ... when ME
finally shat itself I put 98 SE on their machine and it hasn't crashed
or misbehaved majorly since (heh). Had a couple of other comps here with
ME and found it has all the weaknesses of '98, plus a whole lot more,
and no advantage.

-P.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:55:40 +1300 when I remembered Lawrence
D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
this:

>And, if you try and get support from Microsoft, and they discover you've
>installed this "unofficial" service pack, they will probably insist you
>remove it before they can provide any help.

There's still support for Windows ME?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Robin Halligan

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:25:38 +1300, Rob J wrote:

> Sorry, this forum is not geared up to help people resolve their domestic
> difficulties. Just because your wife uses a computer to keep you in a
> dungeon isn't our concern.

Well rob this is nz.comp
it was about a computer andthe computer is in New Zealand

--
Real programmers don't comment
It was hard to write it should be hard to understand