Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is a static IP still standard from Orcon?

Is a static IP still standard from Orcon?

MarkH

Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Stu Fleming

MarkH wrote:
> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require a
static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

Craig Whitmore

"Stu Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:434f6a2f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkH wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
>> UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into
>> with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

Yes. Orcon UBS get Static IP Addresses

Thanks
Craig

Not Dave

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:20:02 +1300, Stu Fleming <(E-Mail Removed)>
growled these words from under a rock:

>MarkH wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all UBS
>> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
>> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

>There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require a
>static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

Um, feeling like sharing?

MarkH

Stu Fleming <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:434f6a2f$(E-Mail Removed):

> MarkH wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with
>> all UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote
>> into with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

> There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require
> a static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

So how does my PC find the other PC then?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Stu Fleming

MarkH wrote:
> Stu Fleming <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:434f6a2f$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>MarkH wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with
>>>all UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote
>>>into with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

>>There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require
>>a static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

> So how does my PC find the other PC then?

Open a secure tunnel from the other PC to a relay server running SSHD,
open a secure tunnel from your PC to the relay server, enable port
forwarding in SSH. Relay server can be on your PC, so IP address is
known. Only drawback is that the remote user has to open the tunnel
from their end.

It might not be exactly suitable for your situation, but we use that
technique a lot for remote stuff to ADSL clients. E-mail me and I'll
send you a link with the details.

Murray Symon

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:30:36 +0000, MarkH wrote:

> Stu Fleming <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:434f6a2f$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> MarkH wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
>>> UBS connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into
>>> with VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

>> There's an Open Source solution using VNC and SSH that doesn't require a
>> static IP, and no ingress firewall changes.

> So how does my PC find the other PC then?

Dynamic DNS ... http://www.dydns.com

steve

MarkH wrote:

> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
> UBS
> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

I have a static IP with Orcon via UBS.

I asked for it and they assured me it was static.

Maybe you're having firewall troubles at the other end?

MarkH

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> MarkH wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if the IP numbers from Orcon are still static with all
>> UBS
>> connections? I have a friends computer that I need to remote into with
>> VNC, but I don't know if the IP will change or not.

> I have a static IP with Orcon via UBS.
>
> I asked for it and they assured me it was static.
>
> Maybe you're having firewall troubles at the other end?

It turns out that there was a problem with the PC and it was not logged in.
This is a friends PC that is located at another location, so it is not
readily accessible by me or my friend.

The IP number had definitely not changed and it is all working well now.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade