Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Media Center released, do they have the epg sorted for it ?

Media Center released, do they have the epg sorted for it ?

Craig Sutton

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JohnO wrote:
> > But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
> > messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!

> They control the software that the decoders run, so could put whatever

they like
> on it

Yep they don't have to broadcast an EPG

JohnO

Richard wrote:
> JohnO wrote:
> > But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
> > messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!

> They control the software that the decoders run, so could put whatever they like
> on it

Heh, they've been trying for about 6 months to work out how to enable
component video on their PACE decoders. I suspect that even if they
wanted to break from the standard and own the ongoing maintenance
headache, that they don't have the technical smarts to write their own
EPG protocol and implement it on the many different decoders they have
to support.

Mutley

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
>> messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!
>>

>The epg most likely will change anyway with launch of the PVR units. A more
>advanced version will be used.
>
>oh and Sky have a 4 hour outage planned for early Wednesday a.m software
>update of some kind

Saw in the local paper last week that it was to add spy software that
has the ability to phone home and say what channels you have watched
over the past day/week/month..

ChrisOD

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, JohnO wrote:
> But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
> messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!

Well sort of, DVB spec mandates some EPG info such as EIT-PF
That's Event Information Table-Present Following commonly called
now/next.

However even though DVB define EIT-Schedule it is not mandatory.
A number of Pay operators use a proprietory data stream for
schedules. What Sky would have to do is change their EPG app on
their STBs to decode the new data stream, then turn off EIT-schedules

Quite doable.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, ChrisOD wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, JohnO
> wrote:
>> But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
>> messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!
>>

> Well sort of, DVB spec mandates some EPG info such as EIT-PF

^^^^^^^^
> That's Event Information Table-Present Following commonly called
> now/next.
>
> However even though DVB define EIT-Schedule it is not mandatory.

But if it is not "mandatory", then the spec does not "mandate" it, does it?

Nathan Mercer

JohnO wrote:
> Craig Sutton wrote:

>>>He Decodes the epg signal from the sat in raw there was a description
>>>somewhere.
>>>

>>Use a cheap satellite card and the EPG transmitted over the satellite
>>service. EPG is part of the DVB standard and is not encrypted.

> Cool - so there's nothing Sky can do about it then?

Sue you?

Bret

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:39:02 +1300, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>JohnO wrote:
>> Craig Sutton wrote:

>>>Use a cheap satellite card and the EPG transmitted over the satellite
>>>service. EPG is part of the DVB standard and is not encrypted.

>> Cool - so there's nothing Sky can do about it then?

>Sue you?

Is that an MS reflex.

ChrisOD

In article <dirsip$a8b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, ChrisOD wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, JohnO
>> wrote:
>>> But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
>>> messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!
>>>

>> Well sort of, DVB spec mandates some EPG info such as EIT-PF

> ^^^^^^^^
>> That's Event Information Table-Present Following commonly called
>> now/next.
>>
>> However even though DVB define EIT-Schedule it is not mandatory.

> But if it is not "mandatory", then the spec does not "mandate" it, does it?

That's right EIT-PF is mandatory but EIT-Schedules is not.

The PF (now/next) is generally used in the little pop-up box to show
what's playing now and next. IICRC then sky actually use a linked list
of now/next/next...... for their schedules. rather than a seperate tables.

That is how EIT-PF is defined now then then next then next etc until table ends.

Craig Sutton

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> > But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
> > messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!
> >

> Well sort of, DVB spec mandates some EPG info such as EIT-PF
> That's Event Information Table-Present Following commonly called
> now/next.
>
> However even though DVB define EIT-Schedule it is not mandatory.
> A number of Pay operators use a proprietory data stream for
> schedules. What Sky would have to do is change their EPG app on
> their STBs to decode the new data stream, then turn off EIT-schedules
>
> Quite doable.

Except they would get complaints that all the ancient slow older model
decoders would take 1 minute to even display it.

ChrisOD

In article <dishq9$ic4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Sutton wrote:

> "ChrisOD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, JohnO

> wrote:
>> > But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
>> > messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!
>> >

>> Well sort of, DVB spec mandates some EPG info such as EIT-PF
>> That's Event Information Table-Present Following commonly called
>> now/next.
>>
>> However even though DVB define EIT-Schedule it is not mandatory.
>> A number of Pay operators use a proprietory data stream for
>> schedules. What Sky would have to do is change their EPG app on
>> their STBs to decode the new data stream, then turn off EIT-schedules
>>
>> Quite doable.

> Except they would get complaints that all the ancient slow older model
> decoders would take 1 minute to even display it.

True, but don't they get that already.

TV listing (EPG) guide Victor Bazarov C++ 1 03-14-2008 07:52 PM
NZ EPG? Paul NZ Computing 1 06-11-2006 02:57 PM
MCE Useless without EPG? Scott NZ Computing 2 10-19-2005 09:36 AM
EPG Craig Shore NZ Computing 1 10-05-2005 09:36 AM