Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Media Center released, do they have the epg sorted for it ?

Media Center released, do they have the epg sorted for it ?

Jeremy

I see Microsoft have released media center here in Nz, Did they get the
Epg side of it sorted.

Jeremy

Nathan Mercer

No.
Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

Cheers
Nathan

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <434f0159$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I see Microsoft have released media center here in Nz, Did they get the
>>Epg side of it sorted.

>No.
>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

MaximumDamage

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>No.
>>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
>>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

> So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

He rips the content from TV company webpages, not that I mind as I'm
using his ill-gotten content for my MythTV box.
MS have been so far unsuccesfully negoitating with SKY for an EPG for
Media Centre. Since sky have their own PVR to sell good luck to MS.
Besides, with the DRM lockdown and MS sleeping with the MPAA and RIAA
who would want to pay money for it?

Nathan Mercer

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>I see Microsoft have released media center here in Nz, Did they get the
>>>Epg side of it sorted.

>>No.
>>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
>>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

> So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

It is not a technical problem

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <434f5956$(E-Mail Removed)>, MaximumDamage wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>>No.
>>>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
>>>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

>> So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

> He rips the content from TV company webpages...

He says he doesn't scrape web pages.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <434f6998$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nathan Mercer wrote:

>>>No.
>>>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
>>>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

>> So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

> It is not a technical problem

So how does he do it then?

shannon

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>>So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

>>It is not a technical problem

> So how does he do it then?

breach of copyright

Jeremy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>>So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

>>It is not a technical problem

> So how does he do it then?

He Decodes the epg signal from the sat in raw there was a description
somewhere.

Jeremy

shannon wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> It is not a technical problem

>> So how does he do it then?

> breach of copyright

There have been many interesting arguments about the copyright legality
of Tv guides mainly on AArdvark.co.nz, basicly you cannot copyright a
fact i.e the news is on at 6, All we need in Nz is someone with a good
legal team and lots of money to take the tv ppl to task on this. With
media center epg is a large part of it what makes it so usefull Ms
should give it a go.

TV listing (EPG) guide Victor Bazarov C++ 1 03-14-2008 07:52 PM
NZ EPG? Paul NZ Computing 1 06-11-2006 02:57 PM
MCE Useless without EPG? Scott NZ Computing 2 10-19-2005 09:36 AM
EPG Craig Shore NZ Computing 1 10-05-2005 09:36 AM