Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bootup problem (beep code)

Bootup problem (beep code)

Dany P. Wu

Hi everyone,

I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me

Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with her
graphics work.

Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried all
the combinations and nothing worked!!

Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated again
and again...

Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.

Any ideas what this could be? Hardware has always been a black art to me and
this has just enforced the point. Frustrating blackbox stuff as far as I'm
concerned.

Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.

Cheers,
Dany.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Google has this offering:

but you knew that, I suppose. Memory error, yes, umm.

Did you pay attention to putting it in the right way round?(there's a
wee slot there). Did you make sure the stick is all the way in so the
retaining clips at the end of the sockets are all the way in as far as
they will go? Hope you were not carrying a big static charge when you
first touched the mobo! RTFM to see if certain configurations are
required when putting in several sticks.

good luck, -P.

GraB

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:43:40 +1300, "Dany P. Wu"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
>Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me
>
>Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
>has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with her
>graphics work.
>
>Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
>Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
>two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried all
>the combinations and nothing worked!!
>
>Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
>around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated again
>and again...
>
>Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
>original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
>brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.
>
>Any ideas what this could be? Hardware has always been a black art to me and
>this has just enforced the point. Frustrating blackbox stuff as far as I'm
>concerned.
>
>Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.

I understand Vdata RAM is crap, better to have both the same. Try
pulling out the CMOS battery for a minute or so, put it back in then
try the original stick of RAM again. You me have to reset certain
settings, like boot order, etc.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
> Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me
>
> Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
> has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with her
> graphics work.
>
> Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
> Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
> two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried all
> the combinations and nothing worked!!
>
> Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
> around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated again
> and again...
>
> Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
> original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
> brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.

Vdata is Crap, we tried some in an old Celeron, just kept on crashing.

Mercury

As a start, run memtest86 to test your ram.
if you get errors, relax memory timings and try again.
Let us know how you get on.

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
> Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me
>
> Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
> has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with
> her graphics work.
>
> Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
> Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
> two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried
> all the combinations and nothing worked!!
>
> Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
> around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated
> again and again...
>
> Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
> original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
> brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.
>
> Any ideas what this could be? Hardware has always been a black art to me
> and this has just enforced the point. Frustrating blackbox stuff as far as
> I'm concerned.
>
> Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

J.wilson

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

(Sorry Dany, pressed wrong button)

Assumeing you bought retail, take the box to the shop you
bought the memory from and ask them to sort it.
Why should you have all the hassle?

Brendan

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:43:40 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.

Re-seat the cpu, ram, cards and connectors. Clear the CMOS.

--

.... Brendan

#342633 +(3716)- [X]

<Quake-Hat> brad, your mom is fine as ****
<Quake-Hat> i think i will masturbate to her while i play with my balls
<bad_brad> brad had to go blow his nose, but thanks for the compliment, i
will be calling your mother
<Quake-Hat> Jesus-****ing christ!!!

Note: All my comments are copyright 14/10/2005 1:10:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Judges1318

Static, i.e. the static charge. Notorious with
memory sticks in carpeted rooms, with no conductive
table pad, without a conductive grounded wrist band.

Dispose of both memory sticks thoughtfully,
in a manner not polluting the environment.

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
> Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me
>
> Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
> has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with her
> graphics work.
>
> Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
> Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
> two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried all
> the combinations and nothing worked!!
>
> Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
> around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated again
> and again...
>
> Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
> original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
> brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.
>
> Any ideas what this could be? Hardware has always been a black art to me and
> this has just enforced the point. Frustrating blackbox stuff as far as I'm
> concerned.
>
> Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

~misfit~

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,

<snip tale of woe>

Hey Dany,

In addition to what's been said:

I hope you unplugged the PSU and then pushed the 'on' button (to drain caps)
before you inserted the RAM.

Also, could be static, RAM seems to be the most susceptible component to
static damage. Always touch the bare case with one hand while holding the
RAM in the other before putting it anywhere near the machine (At the very
least).

I would try resetting the CMOS first, then, if still not right, cleaning out
both RAM slots with CO cleaner in a spray can if you have it. If you don't
then try cleaning the slots with an artist's brush. Then check that RAM
modules are fully seated, perhaps supporting that area of the mobo with your
other hand while you press them firmly. Some mobos are inadequately
supported which makes the addition of RAM with the board in-situ quite
risky. RAM is usually added with the board flat on the bench IME. (Although
I've added RAM many times to mounted mobos, you just have to be careful,
it's not hard to crack the printed circuit traces around the RAM slots if
the board flexes too much and you do have a budget board there, probably not
the most robust. (~$100 inc GST earlier this year for a board with on-board
video, sound and NIC? And <cough>barf<cough> VIA chipset).

If you haven't already touched them (and it doesn't seem like you have) I'd
leave CPU and other cards etc as-is for now.

Also, while having no experience with it, I've also heard that V-Data is
crap. I never buy the cheapest brand even though I'm poor. I usually get the
next one up the price range.

Good luck.
--
~misfit~

GraB

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:02:49 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dany P. Wu wrote:
>> Hi everyone,

><snip tale of woe>
>
>Hey Dany,
>
>In addition to what's been said:
>
>I hope you unplugged the PSU and then pushed the 'on' button (to drain caps)
>before you inserted the RAM.
>
>Also, could be static, RAM seems to be the most susceptible component to
>static damage. Always touch the bare case with one hand while holding the
>RAM in the other before putting it anywhere near the machine (At the very
>least).
>
>I would try resetting the CMOS first, then, if still not right, cleaning out
>both RAM slots with CO cleaner in a spray can if you have it. If you don't
>then try cleaning the slots with an artist's brush. Then check that RAM
>modules are fully seated, perhaps supporting that area of the mobo with your
>other hand while you press them firmly. Some mobos are inadequately
>supported which makes the addition of RAM with the board in-situ quite
>risky. RAM is usually added with the board flat on the bench IME. (Although
>I've added RAM many times to mounted mobos, you just have to be careful,
>it's not hard to crack the printed circuit traces around the RAM slots if
>the board flexes too much and you do have a budget board there, probably not
>the most robust. (~$100 inc GST earlier this year for a board with on-board
>video, sound and NIC? And <cough>barf<cough> VIA chipset).
>
>If you haven't already touched them (and it doesn't seem like you have) I'd
>leave CPU and other cards etc as-is for now.
>
>Also, while having no experience with it, I've also heard that V-Data is
>crap. I never buy the cheapest brand even though I'm poor. I usually get the
>next one up the price range.
>
>Good luck.

Well, there seems to be a good consensus of opinion here.