Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Nokia 2280 PC Suite time problem

Nokia 2280 PC Suite time problem

Rob J

I have Nokia PC Suite 6.5.13, and a Nokia 2280 phone with the data cable
CA-42.

I use PC Suite with Microsoft Outlook 2003 to keep appointments in the
calendar.

NZ recently went to daylight saving time for the 2005/2006 year, and our
timezone changed from GMT+1200 to GMT+1300 for this period. Windows and
Outlook are set to automatically adjust the time for daylight saving
time. The phone is set to automatically receive the time from the
network provider, Telecom New Zealand.

Ever since the daylight saving time came in, any appointment in Outlook
with a time in it has been 1 hour ahead of the time shown in the phone.

I tried changing my computer's time zone manually to GMT+1300 and the
times are now synchronised exactly. Surely it isn't necessary to do
this? How is this happening?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>NZ recently went to daylight saving time for the 2005/2006 year, and our
>timezone changed from GMT+1200 to GMT+1300 for this period. Windows and
>Outlook are set to automatically adjust the time for daylight saving
>time. The phone is set to automatically receive the time from the
>network provider, Telecom New Zealand.
>
>Ever since the daylight saving time came in, any appointment in Outlook
>with a time in it has been 1 hour ahead of the time shown in the phone.
>
>I tried changing my computer's time zone manually to GMT+1300 and the
>times are now synchronised exactly. Surely it isn't necessary to do
>this? How is this happening?

This is the kind of thing that can go wrong when the OS sets the system
clock to show local time rather than GMT/UTC time. It means the clock
has to be explicitly adjusted forward or back twice a year, and you have
to save a flag somewhere to remember whether you have done so, to avoid
doing the adjustment more than once. All this extra complexity affords
extra opportunities for things to go wrong--as you have discovered.

Whereas if the system clock is always in GMT/UTC, then all you need is
the correct timezone setting, and that's it. There's nothing further to
adjust: you just look at the current system clock time, and see what
offset rule applies to that timezone for that time of year, and you
always get the correct local time. Simple.