Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ipod Video: Transferring Home Movies

Ipod Video: Transferring Home Movies

AnthonyR

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:435769aa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> AnthonyR wrote:
>> "Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dirpu5$j5t$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

snip
>> was designed for.
>>
>> In mediaPlayer for example when ripping a cd, it defaults to protect wma
>> format, I believe unless you change the preferences to unprotected,
>> that's Microsofts decision which later hinders people from converting wma
>> files to be played elsewhere.

> It doesn't default to protected WMA, is asks you what you want to do the
> first time you rip/encode a CD to WMA
>
> Cheers
> Nathan

Well, I don't remember the last time I used media player for music, I
remember buying 10 songs from Napster as a trial when they went legal, then
had trouble playing them on media player when I uninstalled my napster
software, imagine, songs i bought and paid for would no longer play cause in
media player cause napster was gone? That's crap...too much encrypting, I
was on hold with tech support for 30 minutes when i called it a loss,
deleted the ten paid for songs (in wma encoded format) and never tried
again.
Never had such problems with iTunes and never looked back.

AnthonyR.

AnthonyR

"Bill Van Dyk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Or is there no real need or desire for wrist-watch-size TV's? Why do you
> think there are no video phones yet? The technology is there.
>
> I don't even hear people getting excited about using their computer as a
> phone-- aint gonna happen.
>
> My feeling is that iPod video will never move beyond the "novelty" stage
> of acceptance. Except, as someone else noted, as a teeny, tiny VCR that
> can play movies on your TV..... That's more intriguing. A teeny, tiny
> VCR, that you can take with you to people's houses or apartments to play
> your video on... Video Resumes? How to "books" with video. Perpetually
> updated living wills....

Well we were promised video phones back in 1984, and they were suppose to
be available in 1999 by Ma Bell.

It never happened and still hasn't because of one word, "Bandwidth".

Video just will overwhelm any communication network with too much data at
the moment, not enough bandwidth.
In fact the internet is cluttered now with text, imagine video?

The demand is there, just will take time.

Kids, love the cool factor!
They will drive this technology, not us.

AnthonyR.

Helpful Harry

In article <6fR6f.23148$(E-Mail Removed)>, "AnthonyR"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Bill Van Dyk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Or is there no real need or desire for wrist-watch-size TV's? Why do you
> > think there are no video phones yet? The technology is there.
> >
> > I don't even hear people getting excited about using their computer as a
> > phone-- aint gonna happen.
> >
> > My feeling is that iPod video will never move beyond the "novelty" stage
> > of acceptance. Except, as someone else noted, as a teeny, tiny VCR that
> > can play movies on your TV..... That's more intriguing. A teeny, tiny
> > VCR, that you can take with you to people's houses or apartments to play
> > your video on... Video Resumes? How to "books" with video. Perpetually
> > updated living wills....
> >

> Well we were promised video phones back in 1984, and they were suppose to
> be available in 1999 by Ma Bell.
>
> It never happened and still hasn't because of one word, "Bandwidth".

Video phones are being sold and have been for a while. They are
evidently quite popular in gadget-crazy Japan. But the bandwidth
problem does mean they're rather hopeless. Webcams and things like
iChat seem to be taking over that niche, although those aren't really
much better. )

> Video just will overwhelm any communication network with too much data at
> the moment, not enough bandwidth.
> In fact the internet is cluttered now with text, imagine video?

Try "cluttered with porn and immature morons". There should be an
"Internet Licence" before people are allowed to log-on. (

> The demand is there, just will take time.
>
> Kids, love the cool factor!
> They will drive this technology, not us.

"Kids" have been driving about about half the technology for years ...
mainly via the games industry. The other half is driven mainly by the
military with a tiny slice by NASA.

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships ;o)

AnthonyR

"Helpful Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:241020051131561588%(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>> Video just will overwhelm any communication network with too much data at
>> the moment, not enough bandwidth.
>> In fact the internet is cluttered now with text, imagine video?

> Try "cluttered with porn and immature morons". There should be an
> "Internet Licence" before people are allowed to log-on. (
>

> Helpful Harry
> Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships ;o)

Harry,
I agree, and once videophones are popular what do you suppose the main use
will be?
LOL Yup, you guessed it, porn...just like the web.

AnthonyR.

shady1111

Allow me to flame a bit;

this has turned into the stupidest conversation ever.
wah, this screen is too small, it doesn't accept my files, wah!
make your own player.

The initial thread was regarding the technical reformatting of videos
to play on the ipod.
Now, to find the few comments related to video conversion I have had to
read all of the 'idiots banter' about the philosophical dilemmas faced
when choosing one media player over another and the moral relativity of
screen size. SHUT UP already.

As for the initial question,

Quicktime pro will convert mpg and mov files to m4v format, but I have
not had success converting any AVI files - Quicktime either states it
cannot open the files, or it converts them and they end up without
audio. Either way, iTunes will not allow me to import them.

I just started using Total Video Converter (
http://www.effectmatrix.com as Hanson Woo recommended back on Oct
14th) with much success, although I am still working out the kinks of
video resizing.

If anyone knows a workaround to the Quicktime Pro issue of not
recognizing avi files I would be stoked to hear it. When it actually
works (with mpg and mov conversion) it does do a much better job of
outputting ready to go, correctly ipod sized videos than TVC.

Thanks
-shady

sbt

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
shady1111 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Allow me to flame a bit;
>
> this has turned into the stupidest conversation ever.
> wah, this screen is too small, it doesn't accept my files, wah!
> make your own player.
>
> The initial thread was regarding the technical reformatting of videos
> to play on the ipod.
> Now, to find the few comments related to video conversion I have had to
> read all of the 'idiots banter' about the philosophical dilemmas faced
> when choosing one media player over another and the moral relativity of
> screen size. SHUT UP already.
>
> As for the initial question,
>
> Quicktime pro will convert mpg and mov files to m4v format, but I have
> not had success converting any AVI files - Quicktime either states it
> cannot open the files, or it converts them and they end up without
> audio. Either way, iTunes will not allow me to import them.
>
> I just started using Total Video Converter (
> http://www.effectmatrix.com as Hanson Woo recommended back on Oct
> 14th) with much success, although I am still working out the kinks of
> video resizing.
>
> If anyone knows a workaround to the Quicktime Pro issue of not
> recognizing avi files I would be stoked to hear it. When it actually
> works (with mpg and mov conversion) it does do a much better job of
> outputting ready to go, correctly ipod sized videos than TVC.
>
> Thanks

If you can play the particular AVI in QuickTime Player, then my
experience is that QT Pro will do the conversion properly; however, the
majority of AVIs that I've seen require additional codecs (DivX and
xvid) to be installed for proper playback.

--
Spenser