Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Got anything to say about Xtra/Orcon/Wired Country?

Got anything to say about Xtra/Orcon/Wired Country?

Philip

I started articles about these companies on Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia. Please contribute to them. Just click the "edit this
page" link at the top of the page. No registration necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra_%28ISP%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Country

Thanks

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I started articles about these companies on Wikipedia, the free
>encyclopedia. Please contribute to them. Just click the "edit this
>page" link at the top of the page. No registration necessary.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra_%28ISP%29

I have reworked this to try to restore NPOV.

Evil Bastard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>I started articles about these companies on Wikipedia, the free
>>encyclopedia. Please contribute to them. Just click the "edit this
>>page" link at the top of the page. No registration necessary.
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra_%28ISP%29

> I have reworked this to try to restore NPOV.

Wikipedia is ok for somewhat objective subjects, like science topics,
but for any subject open to debate, true NPOV is as abundant on
Wikipedia as integrity in a used car yard.

--
Cheers
EB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <434ac486$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Evil Bastard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>I started articles about these companies on Wikipedia, the free
>>>encyclopedia. Please contribute to them. Just click the "edit this
>>>page" link at the top of the page. No registration necessary.
>>>
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra_%28ISP%29

>> I have reworked this to try to restore NPOV.

>Wikipedia is ok for somewhat objective subjects, like science topics,
>but for any subject open to debate, true NPOV is as abundant on
>Wikipedia as integrity in a used car yard.

I'm an occasional Wikipedia contributor myself. What exactly are you
trying to suggest?

Evil Bastard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> I'm an occasional Wikipedia contributor myself. What exactly are you
> trying to suggest?

I'm not talking about contributors. Wikipedia contributors are a huge
spectrum who'll offer many different points of view.

I am talking about the clique of self-appointed editors (read: censors),
who receive email alerts whenever articles get posted or changed, and
can't wait to jump in and edit or remove the articles according to their
own bias.

I have seen at least one case where an editor insists on placing, in an
article, content that has been proven inaccurate in public records. The
editor has no qualification in the field, and whenever experts in the
field attempt to restore the article's accuracy, the editor reverts away
the change and reinstates his/her inaccuracies.

In academic circles, Wikipedia is being increasingly discredited when
used for anything more than a superficial first pass at research. Papers
are increasingly being marked down if they depend too strongly on any
wikipedia content.

--
Cheers
EB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <434c0aea$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Evil Bastard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have seen at least one case where an editor insists on placing, in an
>article, content that has been proven inaccurate in public records. The
>editor has no qualification in the field, and whenever experts in the
>field attempt to restore the article's accuracy, the editor reverts away
>the change and reinstates his/her inaccuracies.

Why not take it to the Administrators, then. That's what they're there
for.