Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > White paper, Solaris v Linux

White paper, Solaris v Linux

thingy

http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competiti...sToLinux.shtml

Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10 (arguably
the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does not mention
its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be applied to cover
these as well I think.

Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a 64
or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as the
break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).

Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
clustering to scale horizontally......

I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....

Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in comparison?

regards

Thing

Enkidu

thingy wrote:
> http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competiti...sToLinux.shtml
>
> Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10 (arguably
> the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does not mention
> its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be applied to cover
> these as well I think.
>
> Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
> sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
> hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a 64
> or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as the
> break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).
>
> Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
> clustering to scale horizontally......
>
> I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....
>
> Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in comparison?

That report is disappointing. A major cost of an OS is the
maintenance and administration. They should have put in a
large section about Solaris' system management tools (which
are much enhanved over Solaris 9, versus the Linux tools.
The Linux tools still win, but Sun has made a great leap
forward with Solaris 10.

Cheers,

Cliff

thing2

Enkidu wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>> http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competiti...sToLinux.shtml
>>
>> Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10 (arguably
>> the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does not mention
>> its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be applied to
>> cover these as well I think.
>>
>> Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
>> sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
>> hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a
>> 64 or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as
>> the break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).
>>
>> Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
>> clustering to scale horizontally......
>>
>> I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....
>>
>> Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in
>> comparison?
>>

> That report is disappointing. A major cost of an OS is the maintenance
> and administration. They should have put in a large section about
> Solaris' system management tools (which are much enhanved over Solaris
> 9, versus the Linux tools. The Linux tools still win, but Sun has made a
> great leap forward with Solaris 10.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Might depend on which Linux tools. This stuff is a hardware & OS level
thing, someone reading this would have to collect more info to make a
decision.

regards

Thing

Enkidu

thing2 wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> thingy wrote:
>>
>>> http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/competiti...sToLinux.shtml
>>>
>>> Note written for IBM, and this is a comparison of Solaris 10
>>> (arguably the best Unix) v generic Linux. Interesting that IBM does
>>> not mention its own AIX unix or HP's HP-UX, yet this paper could be
>>> applied to cover these as well I think.
>>>
>>> Things I got out of it were up to 8 way, Linux is better (in a broad
>>> sense) this could probably apply to moving to MS as well, ie cheaper
>>> hardware with Linux or win2k3 as a "good enough" OS. ie if you have a
>>> 64 or 128 way CPU "beast" Solaris is the choice, with 16~32 CPUs as
>>> the break even but is overkill for below that (Note SGI's stuff).
>>>
>>> Comments on Linux being the preferred OS for Database vendors, with
>>> clustering to scale horizontally......
>>>
>>> I still think Sun's support is the best, but boy do you pay for it.....
>>>
>>> Anybody else noticed this? ie Dell, HP, IBM's support sucks in
>>> comparison?
>>>

>> That report is disappointing. A major cost of an OS is the maintenance
>> and administration. They should have put in a large section about
>> Solaris' system management tools (which are much enhanved over Solaris
>> 9, versus the Linux tools. The Linux tools still win, but Sun has made
>> a great leap forward with Solaris 10.

> Might depend on which Linux tools. This stuff is a hardware & OS level
> thing, someone reading this would have to collect more info to make a
> decision.

Well yes, but the real strengths of Linux are in the support
and the packaging.

Cheers,

Cliff