Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Whats it worth?

Reply
Thread Tools

Whats it worth?

 
 
Matthew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
Hi guys,

Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...

AMD Athlon 2500+
512MB DDR 3200
128MB 9200 AGP 8x
Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
52x cdrw
ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
Ps2 keyboard & mouse

Thanks

Matt



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nicholas Sherlock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
Matthew wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>
> AMD Athlon 2500+
> 512MB DDR 3200
> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
> 52x cdrw
> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
> Ps2 keyboard & mouse


IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>>
>> AMD Athlon 2500+
>> 512MB DDR 3200
>> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
>> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
>> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
>> 52x cdrw
>> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
>> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
>> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
>> Ps2 keyboard & mouse

>
>
> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock



oohhh...

makes my p3-1000 worth didly squat then....

D:

and its my best machine!

D:

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> oohhh...
>
> makes my p3-1000 worth didly squat then....
>
> D:
>
> and its my best machine!


You too huh ? I had a P4 1.8 but sold it to my folks thinking Id upgrade
with the money.... but other bills took that money so Ive been left stranded
with my trusty P3 1 gig
Its the best machine Ive ever had, no problems what so ever. When the new
box does finally get built, the p3 will still be getting used as a media PC
for the lounge


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>>
>> AMD Athlon 2500+
>> 512MB DDR 3200
>> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
>> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
>> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
>> 52x cdrw
>> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
>> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
>> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
>> Ps2 keyboard & mouse

>
> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.


Sad huh? I think you're about right yet it's a very capable machine.
However, when you can get a machine with warranty for under $1K it destroys
the second-hand market for good used machines. If I had the money I'd rather
have the listed machine than a new Dell Celeron anyday.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Flyger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
Matthew wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>
> AMD Athlon 2500+
> 512MB DDR 3200
> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
> 52x cdrw
> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
> Ps2 keyboard & mouse


You would probably get more if you sold the parts individually.

--
Get Thunderbird <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>
Get Firefox <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 22:18:46 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>> Matthew wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>>>
>>> AMD Athlon 2500+
>>> 512MB DDR 3200
>>> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
>>> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
>>> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
>>> 52x cdrw
>>> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
>>> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
>>> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
>>> Ps2 keyboard & mouse

>>
>> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

>
>Sad huh? I think you're about right yet it's a very capable machine.
>However, when you can get a machine with warranty for under $1K it destroys
>the second-hand market for good used machines. If I had the money I'd rather
>have the listed machine than a new Dell Celeron anyday.


The cheap Dells should be shown up for what they are: the Lada's of
computers. A second-hand Mercedes should be worth more than a new
Lada.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
GraB wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 22:18:46 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>>> Matthew wrote:
>>>> Hi guys,
>>>>
>>>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>>>>
>>>> AMD Athlon 2500+
>>>> 512MB DDR 3200
>>>> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
>>>> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
>>>> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
>>>> 52x cdrw
>>>> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
>>>> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
>>>> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
>>>> Ps2 keyboard & mouse
>>>
>>> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

>>
>> Sad huh? I think you're about right yet it's a very capable machine.
>> However, when you can get a machine with warranty for under $1K it
>> destroys the second-hand market for good used machines. If I had the
>> money I'd rather have the listed machine than a new Dell Celeron
>> anyday.

>
> The cheap Dells should be shown up for what they are: the Lada's of
> computers. A second-hand Mercedes should be worth more than a new
> Lada.


No argument from me. As I said, I'd rather have that machine than a brand
new Dell buget box. Alas, the unwashed masses tend to look at warranty and
names.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005
Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>>

<snip>
>
>
> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.
>

<snip>

Hmmm... had a quick look on TradeMe, and comparing apples with apples
I'd say $500-$600.

* If the CPU has a Barton core (you should mention), then that's a plus
* SATA 120GB HDD is another plus
* If it has a licensed version of Win XP, you should mention that as
well (I'd definitely go for $600+ if that were the case)
* Motherboard (mention which revision) - another plus; Firewire/Gigabit
LAN/Dual Channel memory support/SATA etc.
* You also might want to mention what the 9200 specs are (i.e. GPU +
Memory speed, and memory interface buswidth - i.e, 9200 > 9200SE)
* You also mention if any parts are still under warranty
 
Reply With Quote
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2005

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dic20s$u4h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>> Matthew wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
>>>

> <snip>
>>
>>
>> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Hmmm... had a quick look on TradeMe, and comparing apples with apples I'd
> say $500-$600.
>
> * If the CPU has a Barton core (you should mention), then that's a plus
> * SATA 120GB HDD is another plus
> * If it has a licensed version of Win XP, you should mention that as well
> (I'd definitely go for $600+ if that were the case)
> * Motherboard (mention which revision) - another plus; Firewire/Gigabit
> LAN/Dual Channel memory support/SATA etc.
> * You also might want to mention what the 9200 specs are (i.e. GPU +
> Memory speed, and memory interface buswidth - i.e, 9200 > 9200SE)
> * You also mention if any parts are still under warranty


If he an idea of top prices compared to young Sherlock's throw away prices,
he only needs to have a look at a Cash Converters.
He might as well get what he can for it by asking for $795 ono - only going
down to $700.
At this point in time.

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I don't know whats wrong!!! =?Utf-8?B?S2lt?= Wireless Networking 2 09-08-2005 08:21 AM
whats this error?? Neo VHDL 4 01-31-2005 12:47 PM
Whats happening to my router? Bryan Martin Cisco 5 01-10-2004 01:23 AM
$v = shift OR$_[0] on a filehandle, whats teh difereence Eduard W. Lohmann Perl 1 12-02-2003 06:30 PM
perl 6 syntax ?? whats changed ?? DukeNM Perl 0 12-01-2003 11:00 AM



Advertisments