Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WI-FI Fails To Connect

WI-FI Fails To Connect

=?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=

When I installed a new McAfee suite my desk top and HP laptop with internal
Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card stopped communicating. I get a (false) error
message that "No wireless networks found in range" both in my home and at
Hotspots.I reinstalled the router s/w and used the Wirelss Network Setup
Wizard several times, but cannot connect. I would like to uniistall the
wireless s/w in the HP because I think it's corrupted, but I dont know how.
McAfee and Belkin router help desks were not useful, and neither was the
Microsoft KB material. HELP,please. Pete

MacAddict

Not sure about HP laptops but on Dell laptops you need to hit FN + F2
to turn the wireless card (on the hardware, not software) on/off.

Perhaps the wireless card on your laptop is turned off at the hardware
level.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
1. The Router does not need software to work correctly.
2. The Wireless client card on the computer can work with its own software,
or with Windows Wireless Zero Configuration
(http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html )
I do not know which method you used in the past when it worked correctly?
Straight logic dictates that what ever happened is due to the Installation
of the Security Suite.
Security suites do not "corrupt" the Wireless software but they might block
Network traffic.
So uninstall the Security Suite and reconfigure your system to work again.
Once it works learn the relation between Security Suite and the Network so
that you can install and configure the suite in a way that would not block
network traffic.
Do use the wizards multiple times it would make thing worse, configure
manually.
If you need to "Debug your Network setting, and make sure that it is OK may
be this can Help.
In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
these steps.
Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
instructions for Windows Network
Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I installed a new McAfee suite my desk top and HP laptop with
> internal
> Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card stopped communicating. I get a (false) error
> message that "No wireless networks found in range" both in my home and at
> Hotspots.I reinstalled the router s/w and used the Wirelss Network Setup
> Wizard several times, but cannot connect. I would like to uniistall the
> wireless s/w in the HP because I think it's corrupted, but I dont know
> how.
> McAfee and Belkin router help desks were not useful, and neither was the
> Microsoft KB material. HELP,please. Pete

=?Utf-8?B?RnJlYWt5R2Vlaw==?=

If the HP laptop in question uses the Intel-Proset integrated NIC, enabling
the wireless is a 2-step process. The button along the top of the keyboard
is the obvious one. What they don’t tell you is this only controls the
HARDWARE. What you don’t know unless you dig is you need to turn on the
SOFTWARE:

Right-click the My Computer icon, choose Manage
In the left pane, click Device Manager.
In the right pane, expand Network Adapter by clicking the “+” sign if ti
isn’t already expanded
Right-click the Proset NIC in the right pane, choose Properties
On the Advanced tab there is a button for turning the “software” on

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> 1. The Router does not need software to work correctly.
> 2. The Wireless client card on the computer can work with its own software,
> or with Windows Wireless Zero Configuration
> (http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html )
> I do not know which method you used in the past when it worked correctly?
> Straight logic dictates that what ever happened is due to the Installation
> of the Security Suite.
> Security suites do not "corrupt" the Wireless software but they might block
> Network traffic.
> So uninstall the Security Suite and reconfigure your system to work again.
> Once it works learn the relation between Security Suite and the Network so
> that you can install and configure the suite in a way that would not block
> network traffic.
> Do use the wizards multiple times it would make thing worse, configure
> manually.
> If you need to "Debug your Network setting, and make sure that it is OK may
> be this can Help.
> In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
> these steps.
> Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
> Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
> is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
> Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
> every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
> Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
> or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
> If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
> instructions for Windows Network
> Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I installed a new McAfee suite my desk top and HP laptop with
> > internal
> > Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card stopped communicating. I get a (false) error
> > message that "No wireless networks found in range" both in my home and at
> > Hotspots.I reinstalled the router s/w and used the Wirelss Network Setup
> > Wizard several times, but cannot connect. I would like to uniistall the
> > wireless s/w in the HP because I think it's corrupted, but I dont know
> > how.
> > McAfee and Belkin router help desks were not useful, and neither was the
> > Microsoft KB material. HELP,please. Pete

=?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=

PW

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> 1. The Router does not need software to work correctly.
> 2. The Wireless client card on the computer can work with its own software,
> or with Windows Wireless Zero Configuration
> (http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html )
> I do not know which method you used in the past when it worked correctly?
> Straight logic dictates that what ever happened is due to the Installation
> of the Security Suite.
> Security suites do not "corrupt" the Wireless software but they might block
> Network traffic.
> So uninstall the Security Suite and reconfigure your system to work again.
> Once it works learn the relation between Security Suite and the Network so
> that you can install and configure the suite in a way that would not block
> network traffic.
> Do use the wizards multiple times it would make thing worse, configure
> manually.
> If you need to "Debug your Network setting, and make sure that it is OK may
> be this can Help.
> In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
> these steps.
> Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
> Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
> is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
> Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
> every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
> Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
> or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
> If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
> instructions for Windows Network
> Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I installed a new McAfee suite my desk top and HP laptop with
> > internal
> > Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card stopped communicating. I get a (false) error
> > message that "No wireless networks found in range" both in my home and at
> > Hotspots.I reinstalled the router s/w and used the Wirelss Network Setup
> > Wizard several times, but cannot connect. I would like to uniistall the
> > wireless s/w in the HP because I think it's corrupted, but I dont know
> > how.
> > McAfee and Belkin router help desks were not useful, and neither was the
> > Microsoft KB material. HELP,please. Pete

=?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?=

Jack-I dont know how to check socket layers, Winsock or TCP/IP stack. I
reinstalled McAfee before i wrote you and it now seems to work ok but
disabling it does not help the computer recognize the presence of ANY
network. I removed the WIFI card and and hoped the system would
recognize/reinstall it,but no luck. Yet dev. mgr says card is OK (no
conflicts).Unfortunately I used Wizard 5 times-can I undo w/regedit? If it
was added in SP2 , can that be uninstalled and perhaps sledge hammer the
problem? Thanks for your hepl. Pete

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 9-Apr-2006, =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZQ==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I would like to uniistall the
> > > wireless s/w in the HP because I think it's corrupted, but I dont know
> > > how.

Not that it helps this far down the problem chain, but a good uninstaller
is a great problem solver when a program install kills something.
Or a Ghost image of your OS/HD before the problem occurred.