Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why Microsoft Hates Blu-Ray

Why Microsoft Hates Blu-Ray

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Found this interesting item from Slashdot
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024.htm>
which sheds some light on why Microsoft recently announced it was
supporting HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.

It looks like the Blu-Ray copy protection will be so tight that it might not
be possible to stream content off a BD disc via a PC to another device.
Since Microsoft's XBox will not be shipping with any kind of BD-playing
capability, this could severely restrict the ability of the XBox to act as
a general home-entertainment centre.

The article also claims that Blu-Ray seems to be gaining momentum at the
expense of HD-DVD, in spite of Microsoft's and Intel's best efforts. On the
one hand, it's something of a relief if it turns out there won't be a
long-drawn-out format war after all. But on the other hand, the Blu-Ray
copy-protection mechanisms seem pretty draconian, including the fact that
players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
them.

Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway...

steve

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> But on the other hand, the Blu-Ray
> copy-protection mechanisms seem pretty draconian, including the fact that
> players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
> them.
>
> Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway..

Chip mods for Blu-ray players. Or some sort of disruptive technolgy that
captures the stream between player and screen / sound and re-encoded it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> But on the other hand, the Blu-Ray
>> copy-protection mechanisms seem pretty draconian, including the fact that
>> players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
>> them.
>>
>> Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway..

>Chip mods for Blu-ray players. Or some sort of disruptive technolgy that
>captures the stream between player and screen / sound and re-encoded it?

The latter could be tricky for HDCP. But then, it looks like HDCP is
broken anyway
<http://apache.dataloss.nl/~fred/www.nunce.org/hdcp/hdcp111901.htm> ...

PAM.

<http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...106_9074_tc024
..htm>
> which sheds some light on why Microsoft recently announced it was
> supporting HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.
>
> It looks like the Blu-Ray copy protection will be so tight that it might

not
> be possible to stream content off a BD disc via a PC to another device.
> Since Microsoft's XBox will not be shipping with any kind of BD-playing
> capability, this could severely restrict the ability of the XBox to act as
> a general home-entertainment centre.
>
> The article also claims that Blu-Ray seems to be gaining momentum at the
> expense of HD-DVD, in spite of Microsoft's and Intel's best efforts. On

the
> one hand, it's something of a relief if it turns out there won't be a
> long-drawn-out format war after all. But on the other hand, the Blu-Ray
> copy-protection mechanisms seem pretty draconian, including the fact that
> players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
> them.
>
> Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway...

I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

PAM.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <9xe2f.16902$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> Found this interesting item from Slashdot
>>

><http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...106_9074_tc024
>.htm>
>> which sheds some light on why Microsoft recently announced it was
>> supporting HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.
>>

>I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
>being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

If that's their aim, they're going backwards. The PlayStation continues
to go from strength to strength (one of the bright spots in Sony's
current situation), even as Microsoft's XBox division continues to lose
money.

Nathan Mercer

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>Found this interesting item from Slashdot
>>>

>><http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...106_9074_tc024
>>.htm>
>>
>>>which sheds some light on why Microsoft recently announced it was
>>>supporting HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.
>>>

>>I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
>>being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

> If that's their aim, they're going backwards. The PlayStation continues
> to go from strength to strength (one of the bright spots in Sony's
> current situation), even as Microsoft's XBox division continues to lose
> money.

Xbox not XBox, anyway this analyst expects Xbox360 to lead till 2008,
with the Xbox 360 jumping out to an early lead in the console wars

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09...s_6134710.html

Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <434a0331$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>><http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...106_9074_tc024
>>>.htm>

>>>I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
>>>being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

>> If that's their aim, they're going backwards. The PlayStation continues
>> to go from strength to strength (one of the bright spots in Sony's
>> current situation), even as Microsoft's XBox division continues to lose
>> money.

>Xbox not XBox, anyway this analyst expects Xbox360 to lead till 2008,
>with the Xbox 360 jumping out to an early lead in the console wars
>
>http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09...s_6134710.html

A lead that won't last, if I understand the article correctly.

>Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

Well, the PlayStation Portable seems to be wildly successful, and
capable of doing lots of things besides just playing games.

Another big product segment that Microsoft has overlooked, methinks...

davenetnz@gmail.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

> Well, the PlayStation Portable seems to be wildly successful, and
> capable of doing lots of things besides just playing games.
> Another big product segment that Microsoft has overlooked, methinks...

I would have liked to see ~2GB flash in the PSP for game saves, music,
movies etc... or atleast being able to buy blank UMD disks for putting
it on, to me their memory stick pro is a pain.

PAM.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I would have liked to see ~2GB flash in the PSP for game saves, music,
> movies etc... or atleast being able to buy blank UMD disks for putting
> it on, to me their memory stick pro is a pain.

Yep. Should have had a USB socket.

PAM.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed) .com> davenetnz@
gmail.com wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> >Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

>> Well, the PlayStation Portable seems to be wildly successful, and
>> capable of doing lots of things besides just playing games.
>> Another big product segment that Microsoft has overlooked, methinks...

> I would have liked to see ~2GB flash in the PSP for game saves, music,
> movies etc... or atleast being able to buy blank UMD disks for putting
> it on, to me their memory stick pro is a pain.

How about 4GB? Some company is releasing a replacement battery which
also has a 4GB drive in it. Costs about the same as a PSP though.

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/gadgets...try_id=1244632

http://roger.geek.nz/