Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I hate my Liteon 1673s piece of **** dvd writer.

I hate my Liteon 1673s piece of **** dvd writer.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty ****en thing on Trademe
to any sucker willing to buy it.

Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
'cheap ****' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
find out the burn is **** when you check the discs with something like
dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.

It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
frisbee.

The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.

So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
****.

Jerry

Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
> If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty ****en thing on Trademe
> to any sucker willing to buy it.
>
> Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
> 'cheap ****' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
> on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
> find out the burn is **** when you check the discs with something like
> dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
>
> It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
> middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
> frisbee.
>

> The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
>
> So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
> ****.

I have yet to burn a coaster with my 1633s. Don't know how different
they are though

GraB

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:43:19 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora
Tikitiki) wrote:

>If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty ****en thing on Trademe
>to any sucker willing to buy it.
>
>Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
>'cheap ****' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
>on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
>find out the burn is **** when you check the discs with something like
>dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
>
>It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
>middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
>frisbee.
>

>The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
>
>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
>****.

Upgraded the firmware and software?

Peter Huebner

In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teran ews>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty ****en thing on Trademe
> to any sucker willing to buy it.
>
> Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
> 'cheap ****' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
> on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
> find out the burn is **** when you check the discs with something like
> dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
>
> It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
> middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
> frisbee.
>

> The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
>
> So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
> ****.

Conversely, my Pioneer drive always burns excellent disks, but it's
effin useless as a DVD movie player - at the slightest provocation it
turns up its little toes and locks up the software as well --- I went
and bought a liteon dvd drive and that just soldiers on and reads the
damn movie!

LOL -Peter

XP

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:43:19 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
wrote:

>If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty ****en thing on Trademe
>to any sucker willing to buy it.
>
>Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
>'cheap ****' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
>on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
>find out the burn is **** when you check the discs with something like
>dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
>
>It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
>middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
>frisbee.
>

>The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
>
>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
>****.

Have you updated the Firmware yet..?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teran ews>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
>****.

I have a LiteOn, which cdrecord reports is a "LDW-451S". In the year and
a bit that I've had it, the only time it's made coasters was a few days
ago, when it took several attempts to burn a DVD. Not sure why that
was--perhaps I was trying to do other things that were hitting the disk
too hard at the same time.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:31:13 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:43:19 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora
>Tikitiki) wrote:
>

>>If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty ****en thing on Trademe
>>to any sucker willing to buy it.
>>
>>Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
>>'cheap ****' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
>>on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
>>find out the burn is **** when you check the discs with something like
>>dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
>>
>>It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
>>middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
>>frisbee.
>>

>>The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
>>
>>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
>>****.

>Upgraded the firmware and software?

Yep, I flashed it with the latest firmware - J0C. That did help with
reading some discs that I was having problems reading.

I flashed my Benq at the same time which also helped with reading
discs.

I've been using CloneDVD2 successfully with my Benq and 'falsely
successfully' with the Liteon.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:34:19 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teran ews>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty ****en thing on Trademe
>> to any sucker willing to buy it.
>>
>> Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
>> 'cheap ****' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
>> on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
>> find out the burn is **** when you check the discs with something like
>> dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
>>
>> It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
>> middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
>> frisbee.
>>

>> The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
>>
>> So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
>> ****.
>>

>Conversely, my Pioneer drive always burns excellent disks, but it's
>effin useless as a DVD movie player - at the slightest provocation it
>turns up its little toes and locks up the software as well --- I went
>and bought a liteon dvd drive and that just soldiers on and reads the
>damn movie!
>
>LOL -Peter

There's little doubt that my Liteon is a wonderful reader - when it
finally wakes up and realises it has a job to do, that is. However my
Liteon is a writer and it's that part that it's crap at.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:33:58 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teran ews>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:
>
>>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
>>****.

>I have a LiteOn, which cdrecord reports is a "LDW-451S". In the year and
>a bit that I've had it, the only time it's made coasters was a few days
>ago, when it took several attempts to burn a DVD. Not sure why that
>was--perhaps I was trying to do other things that were hitting the disk
>too hard at the same time.

I admit that the discs I've been using are 'cheap ****' but my Benq
manages to burn them 'error free' - the Liteon burned ONLY one out of
12 discs without any errors. They're not really coasters - they're
95% readable but the errors are usually huge blocks that make movies
stall for a long time or stop until I press the 'next chapter' button.

I burned heaps of discs successfully with the Benq on a p2 333 machine
from files on a clacky harddrive that sounds like it's going to crap
out any minute and the Liteon is writing bad discs on a Celeron 2.4
with a HD that sounds in better condition and nothing else is being
done on that machine while discs are being burned.

Andrew

Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:33:58 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>

>>In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teran ews>,
>>(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:
>>

>>>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of ****en usless
>>>****.

>>I have a LiteOn, which cdrecord reports is a "LDW-451S". In the year and
>>a bit that I've had it, the only time it's made coasters was a few days
>>ago, when it took several attempts to burn a DVD. Not sure why that
>>was--perhaps I was trying to do other things that were hitting the disk
>>too hard at the same time.

> I admit that the discs I've been using are 'cheap ****' but my Benq
> manages to burn them 'error free' - the Liteon burned ONLY one out of
> 12 discs without any errors. They're not really coasters - they're
> 95% readable but the errors are usually huge blocks that make movies
> stall for a long time or stop until I press the 'next chapter' button.
>
> I burned heaps of discs successfully with the Benq on a p2 333 machine
> from files on a clacky harddrive that sounds like it's going to crap
> out any minute and the Liteon is writing bad discs on a Celeron 2.4
> with a HD that sounds in better condition and nothing else is being
> done on that machine while discs are being burned.

Thats the same problem i had with a samsung dvd writer - Went back to
the benq