Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dsl and surge protector

dsl and surge protector

XPD

Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
introduce noise etc ?

The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.

Cheers

<goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>

XP

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:37:13 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
>hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
>everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
>line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
>protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
>introduce noise etc ?
>
>The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.
>
>Cheers
>
><goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>

What Telescum told me that Surge protector are a waste of time, but what is
fully is that they use them.

They Only protect on a distant strike not a local one, as the Earth voltage
rises with the shrike..

S Roby

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, XP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:37:13 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
>>hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
>>everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
>>line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
>>protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
>>introduce noise etc ?
>>
>>The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>><goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>
>>

>What Telescum told me that Surge protector are a waste of time, but what is
>fully is that they use them.
>
>They Only protect on a distant strike not a local one, as the Earth voltage
>rises with the shrike..

ComsumerMag tested a few surge protectors a while back
Turns out only the expensive ones do anything at all
Also they all need to be repaired after a surge, some models have a light to
tell you this

XPD

"S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news9F1f.16663$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ComsumerMag tested a few surge protectors a while back
> Turns out only the expensive ones do anything at all
> Also they all need to be repaired after a surge, some models have a light

> tell you this

Yeha my one has an LED on it...little note next to it - If this is off,
repair required.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
> hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
> everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
> line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
> protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
> introduce noise etc ?

Don't think you'd get line noise or any kind of filtering effect from a
zap catcher. Keep in mind though, that, should you get a lightening
strike on the powerlines or a transformer within half a mile or so no
zap catcher is going to save your bacon - they'll get fried to a crisp
and the 10 million Volts or so are just going to truck right on if they
can see a convenient way to ground.

I leave my answerphone and cordless going (they are surge protected both
mains and phone line) unless storm's directly overhead, but I most
certainly unplug the modem from the phone line if it's any closer than
4-5 km (12 second delay between lightening and thunder) cause there is
no way I want the 'puter fried.

> The particular model Im using is a Zap Catcher 20.
>
> Cheers
>
> <goes back to watching the dog eat an apple... weird animal>

Had a bitch once who picked blackberries to eat. My dog eats apple
cores, pears, mandarins (peeled and segmented, please) and won't turn
his nose up at bananas or any kind of boiled vegetables. <g>

-P.

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

In message <p9F1f.16663$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote:

>ComsumerMag tested a few surge protectors a while back
>Turns out only the expensive ones do anything at all
>Also they all need to be repaired after a surge, some models have a light to
>tell you this

Any idea which issue?

--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

w_tom

Review this plug-in protector, even with all MOVs (the
active components) removed. Its indicator light still says it
is OK.
http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/movs.html

I bought a light bulb. Went home and plugged it in. It did
not light. Later I learned that I also have to obtain utility
service. Ironically plug-in protectors are sold with the same
information. They forget to mention it does nothing without
the rest of a system. A light bulb will only be as effective
as the electricity source it connects to. The surge protector
will only be as effective as its earth ground. So what do
ineffective and overpriced protectors forget to mention?
Earth ground.

Effective protectors are located where wires enter the
building AND make a less than 3 meter connection to a single
point earth ground. Not just any earth ground. All utilities
must earth to a common earth ground (so that the previously
cited earth ground potential does not cause problems). A
figure from the NIST is used to demonstrate but one reason why
it must be single point earthing:
http://www.epri-peac.com/tutorials/sol01tut.html

'Whole house' protectors are so effective and so inexpensive
that your own telephone company need not disconnect their
computer during every thunderstorm. In North America, the
telco installs a 'whole house' protector, for free, on the
incoming phone line - right where their phone line joins
yours. But again, the protector is not protection. The
protector is a device to connect TO protection. Protection is
single point earth ground.

Any protection that works at the appliance is already
installed inside that appliance. Internal protection that can
be overwhelmed IF the 'whole house' protector does not earth
an incoming transient.

Many protectors are so grossly undersized as to also use
least expensive parts. MOVs are not acceptable for DSL use
since capacitance is too high. However that is what some
plug-in protector use in a hope that your DSL signal is strong
enough to not be degraded. For DSL, a standard part is a low
capacitance semiconductor device. But again, does not matter
without the single point earth ground. What is THE most
critical component for a protection 'system'? Earth ground.
What do ineffective protectors hope you never learn about to
sell their grossly overpriced and ineffective product? Earth
ground.

No earth ground means no effective protection. Ineffective
protectors are made obvious by two characteristics: 1) no
dedicated connection to earth ground, and 2) avoids discussion
of earthing. The protector is only as effective as its earth
ground. Ineffective protectors hope you never learn that
fact.

So what does the light say? It can only report a failed
protectors AND cannot report when a protector is good. But
again, just another little fact they forget to mention - since
profits on plug-in protectors are so high, and since knowledge
of this 1930 technology has been subverted by those who learn
myths from retail store boxes.

Notice no one has even mentioned joules - an important
number in protectors. Another number often grossly undersized
in overhyped plug-in protectors.

XPD wrote:
> "S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news9F1f.16663$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ComsumerMag tested a few surge protectors a while back
>> Turns out only the expensive ones do anything at all
>> Also they all need to be repaired after a surge, some models
>> have a light to tell you this

> Yeha my one has an LED on it...little note next to it - If this is off,
> repair required.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Well, just a few mins ago we had another lightning storm (about the 3rd in 5
> hours) and this time my computer shutdown and restarted. Thankfully I had
> everything plugged into a surge protector (for a change) except my
> line/router. Which got me thinking, do surge protectors with phone line
> protection affect DSL in any way if used ? ie: Degrade performance,
> introduce noise etc ?

A good UPS is the best, not so cheap though.