Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

Inorganic Collections and Old Screens

S Roby

>I'm sure it's not a safety issue or the notice from the council would
>have mentioned removing power cords and not putting out TV/monitor
>tubes.

It does become a safety issue when I have shards of broken glass
in my lawn.
I will now only take monitors straight to the dump.

MarkH

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1128814178.815245.212590
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I've been told that they will take just about any sort of wiring and
> they burn the plastic off so they're left with the copper.
>
> I've had electrical cords, printer cables, mouse tails, etc. All with
> the end connectors cut off and left and just the cable / wire taken.
>
> I've also looked at some of the smashed screens and found them all
> damaged in the same way, with the end of the tube smashed off and
> whatever was on the end (copper coil?) taken.
>
> I'm sure it's not a safety issue or the notice from the council would
> have mentioned removing power cords and not putting out TV/monitor
> tubes.

I am sure that I have read somewhere that it is a good idea to cut the
power cord of a faulty appliance when putting it out for inorganic
collection. I think it is essentially a measure to stop someone picking it
up, taking it home and plugging it in to see if it works.

I can't remember where I read about cutting the power cord, sorry.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

MarkH

(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote in
news:LMX1f.16787$(E-Mail Removed):

> wrote:
>>On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:50 -0700, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>><news:(E-Mail Removed) egroups.com>:
>>
>>> I've also noticed that someone really likes old power cords, because
>>> every appliance down our street and in surrounding streets has had
>>> its power cord cut off. Surely these can't be worth more than a
>>> dollar or so to buy at wholesale prices? Who would need so many old
>>> ones that it would be worth their time driving around and scavenging
>>> them off old appliances?

>>Once again, possibly a safety measure to discourage re-use of
>>discarded and possibly electrically unsafe appliances.
>>

> They get smashed open & glass is left all over the place, so its not
> done for safety issuses.

The power cords get smashed open? Glass from some old toaster is left all
over the place?

I think that if every appliance has its power cord cut off it could well be
a safety measure to discourage re-use of discarded and possibly
electrically unsafe appliances as raptor said.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

BitBandit@gmail.com

I have two big old disk packs from a Prime mini-computer (massive big,
multi-platter types). They're of no practical purpose, but if there
are any collectors of old computer junk then they might like them.
Free to a good home so long as you can collect them from Glenfield,
Auckland.

Also lots of old computer books and manuals from the 60's, 70's and
80's. Lots of them are software manuals from Prime mini's, but also
Unix, Apple, DOS, TRS-80, OS/2, Amstrad, Datapoint, Commodore 64 and
Vic 20, Sinclair ZX-81, Acorn RISC OS, Pascal, Modula-2, 6502
assembler, CP/M internals, X-Windows internals, Oric 1, general
programming principles, operating system fundamentals and programming,
etc. Way too many for me to list individual titles, but they may be
useful for those people that are into retro computing. If you're
looking for anything in particular or in general then email me and I'll
see if I've got it. (E-Mail Removed)

Richard

MarkH wrote:

> I am sure that I have read somewhere that it is a good idea to cut the
> power cord of a faulty appliance when putting it out for inorganic
> collection. I think it is essentially a measure to stop someone picking it
> up, taking it home and plugging it in to see if it works.
>
> I can't remember where I read about cutting the power cord, sorry.

I know that in the second hand market its advisable to remove the plug off
anything you sell that you are not prepaired to certify as safe since the buyer
then is making their own assessment when they choose to fit a plug and connect
the thing.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I've been told that they will take just about any sort of wiring and
> they burn the plastic off so they're left with the copper.

Nice stuff to breathe, that PVC smoke

Old code, collections and generics warning Nicolai Henriksen Java 14 11-11-2005 08:11 AM
Can someone tell me why I can't delete this file? and why it blue screens WinXP Pro on delete? zZz Computer Support 1 01-12-2005 02:37 AM
Designing For Diffrent Screens TFTs and CRTs Hardeep Rakhra HTML 8 04-07-2004 06:24 PM
Sorting collections based on nested collections Doug Poland Java 9 09-27-2003 10:46 PM
InnerProperty Persistance for Collections containing other Collections mutex ASP .Net Building Controls 0 07-27-2003 02:45 PM

Advertisments